Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Could we do anything?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
people at the university today are trying to get people to walk out of lectures and occupy buildings.

Is direct action a futile gesture or is it a constructive way to register disgust at the actions of our govt?

is there any way the govt would pull back now?

Comments

• Options
    Well obviously theres little chance of stopping it now but I think people should make their disgust known and hopefully when they have another march in London even more people will come out to protest.

If we all stopped voicing our opinion then we'd be letting ourselves live in a dictatorship of sorts.

its a shame that those kids yesterday behaved like stupid idiots and made the real concern of real protestors look stupid but no doubt that is down to their terrible upbringing.

There are people out there with genuine feelings of fear and disgust who should make themselves known and be as vocal as they can...

the government needs to know it is not supported by a huge percentage of the population and in the UK we need to stop this country from becoming a lapdog for Bush.
  • Options
    Re: Could we do anything?
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    people at the university today are trying to get people to walk out of lectures and occupy buildings.

Is direct action a futile gesture or is it a constructive way to register disgust at the actions of our govt?

is there any way the govt would pull back now?

I doubt it.
  • Options
    No, it won't make the Government change their decision.

But these protests are important and still significant because they are causing people to stop, think and question the actions of our Government and the American Government.

A world divided by greed, corrupt power, ignorance and hatred cannot continue. People are protesting against this and are wanting to develop a more peaceful world.
  • Options
    It is obvious that the historic 15F demos didn't stop the war from happening. But have we changed anything? I'd like to think we have. For instance, I doubt if any PM in the future will be so eager to press ahead with something when there is public discontent on such scale. Blair was already up to his neck and didn't have the courage/common sense to back down. He will likely pay with his political career, and I hope others will remember that.

I'd also like to think that given the global outrage the allies will not embark in atrocities as easily as in the last Gulf War. Back in 1991 US jets targeted a civilian bunker full of women and children because they had seen an Iraqi official car stop by it and let some government officials into the bunker. They obviously thought that 450 women and children was a small price to pay to get just a couple of ministers. I doubt if they would dare repeat such a thing today.

So a difference can be made. I have to be at work today so can't attend today's demo. It won't be nearly as big as the last one since there's only been 4 days warning, but nonetheless anyone who feels this war is wrong should make their voices heard at the demo.
  • Options
    I think that now war has broken out, all the smaller scale protests aren't really hoping to stop the war - they're just showing that they care. Protests such as the Stop the War Coalition's yesterday in London are trying to get Bush and Blair to stop the war, but they've already crossed the point of no return. I think more people would be pissed off if they did pull out now, because they'd probably just end up going back again in 5-10 years time. Now they're in there they may as well do it properly this time, get rid of Saddam, killing as few civillians as possible.

and wow I braved the politics board *waves nervously*
  • Options
    Um, that does kinda make sense, my beef is largely with the method, now they have started and there is no hope of them pulling out it seems so futile....

Hello by the way.......:)