Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What PC?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Alright folks i'm getting a new pc veeery soon and just wanted to get public opinion. Which pc brand do you think is the most reliable? I.e. Compaq, Time, Packard etc. I'm most likely going to get a Sony one. They look purdy and it's got all the components I need, particularly a v.good video editing software which'll come in handy.

Are Sony reliable? Will it melt after a few months useage? Why do cows moo? Are these enough questions? Ho hum. :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Sony tend to be pretty good.

As for the others you've mentioned :no:

Of course, if you want video editing, what about a Mac?
    More powerful and more reliable than PCs.
    Or are you a gamer?
  • Options
    Re: What PC?
    Originally posted by Kurt
    Alright folks i'm getting a new pc veeery soon and just wanted to get public opinion. Which pc brand do you think is the most reliable? I.e. Compaq, Time, Packard etc. I'm most likely going to get a Sony one. They look purdy and it's got all the components I need, particularly a v.good video editing software which'll come in handy.
    No no no no NO! Don't buy any of the main brands, especially not Compaq, Dell, HP, or Packard Bell. In the future you will realise what a mistake you've made! All those companies keep on persistantly insisting on making PC's their way - which means they're a bitch to repair and/or upgrade. Drivers are a bugger to find. And if you loose the disks that come with the machine you will be expected to pay for replacements - even just for the drivers.
    If you want to upgrade to a future version of Windows you will soon find yourself stumped as the drivers most likely won't be available. Why? - because they want you to buy the latest machine from them rather than upgrade.
    Every time I've had to work on one of those bloody machines they've been a right pain in the arse. The motherboards are in a weird configuration, often you can't turn off the built in cards (sound/video), and therefore can't upgrade.
    Having said all that, I normally only deal with older machines that are giving people problems. Maybe the main companies have changed nowadays? Yeah, right - fat chance! Buy one at your own peril.
    I don't have any experience of Sony computers, except using a couple of their laptops.

If you absolutely must buy one, then ask them about what's in the machine (motherboard and card makes, models, and brands), and about future support for upgrading and future operating systems.

The only exception is when it comes to laptops. Then I believe it's better to stick to the well known brands to make future upgrades and repairs easier (though not necessarily cheaper).

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Sony tend to be pretty good.

As for the others you've mentioned :no:

Of course, if you want video editing, what about a Mac?
    More powerful and more reliable than PCs.
    Or are you a gamer?

I had a looky at macs but they're pretty damn expensive:eek:

Thanks Wobblemeister, I'll ask about their future upgrade options. Sony should be ok tho right? Most of their pcs are pretty similar so the components they use don't differ much, ergo there shouldnt be too much hassle for the future.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    I had a looky at macs but they're pretty damn expensive:eek:

There is that, yes. Especially the Dual G4 machines... :eek:

Also, you can try www.novatech.co.uk ... I mainly use them, and you can buy pre-built systems from them, which appear to use standard components (i.e. unlike the crap that packard bell etc. use).

Mr_Wobble, however, is the source (of decent info)! :p:D
  • Options
    get a custom build pc, you will get a higher spec pc for your money. for about the price of a dell (i work for them) you could get a top bollox pc, plus it would be alot better.

when i get home i'll pm you with the web adrress i got my pc from
  • Options
    Type R is right, get a custom built PC with decent upgrade posibilities, else you will end up with a heap of junk in 6 months that you can do nothing with
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    Type R is right, get a custom built PC with decent upgrade posibilities, else you will end up with a heap of junk in 6 months that you can do nothing with

That's the annoying thing about computers :(