Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Uni deadlines...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When a uni assignment is set a deadline for Thursday, do they usually allow it to be handed in on the Friday?
This has happened to me on 2 occasions, and I'm thinking of handing my current assignment on Friday as well.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when we're set a deadline, we have to have our stuff in by 12 noon on that day. sometimes they extend it to 4pm.

if it's in late, we lose 5% of our final marks per day until it's handed in.
    It depends upon whether it is an assessed or non-assessed essay. If it is the former, most universities require an official, pre-arranged extension letter or they will not mark it and thus you will not get credited for it. However, if it is the latter, you can do as you wish.
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    when we're set a deadline, we have to have our stuff in by 12 noon on that day. sometimes they extend it to 4pm.

if it's in late, we lose 5% of our final marks per day until it's handed in.

Lucky you, if ours are only an hour late the highest mark you can get is 40% :mad:

Although if you have a really good reason (and i mean a good reason!) they will allow an extention, but this involves filling in lots of forms and going to have them signed by people, which actually takes longer than doing the damn assignment!
    From what I am hearing it sounds like college is crap at preparing us for Uni. I hand all my assignments in on time but alot of my classmates get away with handing theirs in late for crap reasons without even asking for an extension beforehand and they still get high marks for it!
    A deadline is a deadline. At our uni all assignments had to be in *before* the deadline, not the morning after.

You really shouldn't be "planning" to hand in the assignment the day after, you should be planning to hand it in before the deadline.

Anyway unless you've arranged it you can look to lose some marks. It should all be in the uni guidelines.
    At my uni it really depends on the department.

For non assessed essays you can usually just email the tutor or person who will mark it and explain your situation.

Assessed essays usually require an extension well in advance, usually for medical reasons.

One of my lecturers sets the deadlines as the middle of term but he always gives us until the end.

Some tutors also allow you to email your essay to them just to "prove" you have done it and you can hand ahard copy in the next day.

Like many others have said, it all depends whether it is assessed essay or not. I hand a lot of work in late but usually only by a day and I email the tutor to tell them and they're ok with it.
    Depends on the department.

My home department only allows a formal extension because of illness etc

But another department i have worked in charged 1% per day for a mximum of a week i think..........