Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

obsessive

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
hi

i was told by my psychaitrist yesterday that i have an obsessive personality cos i count things (stairs, steps to uni, beats in music, words) just wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not so much in counting, and no doctor has made this official, but like if I pull my hair back with my left hand, I have to do to the same with the right... Same as if I turn to the right, I have to turn to the left after... I usually just do this but I'm not totally obsessive about it. I think.
  • Options
    I have an obsessive personality in that I can only do things in a certain way (or I end up getting really stressed and can't do anything at all). For example, I can only have the things on my desk arranged in a certain way and I can only use a certain set of cutlery. Don't know why though...my family just reckon it's because I'm bonkers!!
  • Options
    Re: obsessive
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    hi

i was told by my psychaitrist yesterday that i have an obsessive personality cos i count things (stairs, steps to uni, beats in music, words) just wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this.

No i cant say i have but it sounds quite interesting though :eek2:

Is it a problem to you at all ? (sorry im intrigued)
  • Options
    Yeh I've got this too, certain things in my room HAVE to face the same way, my remote control has to sit on the tv with the buttons facing the door, my necklaces have to lie in a certain position, my c.d's have to be put back how they were left, I can't listen to a c.d then leave it in the machine, I have to put it back where it was from and replace it with whatever c.d was in there before, I have to check the seconds on my alarm clock every night before bed so I not only know the time but also the seconds on it, I could go on forever but I am going to sound well strange and my boyf is prob gonna read this and know I'm strange.
  • Options
    Finally, I'm not the only freak in this world. I also count everything. It's a running joke in my family and to tell the truth I never really thought that it was anything bad. Still don't for that matter. Apparently it can be a little annoying when someone wants the toilet and I'm in the bathroom cleaning my teeth ensuring that I clean each section of my teeth for a count of three though. I think that my more strange habits link with what RC was saying however. I also find that if I do certain things one way I then have to do them another. My example is when I catch my right heel bone with my left foot, I then have to inflict the same painful process on the other foot BUT if I do it harder or softer I then have to even it up by doing it that way on the other side .... unfortunately this can go on for ages and result in rather messy feet.

Anyhow, now that I've shared that embarrassing little story with yous all, I'm off to plan lessons for ungrateful little shits.