Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

storing petrol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I want to store some petrol in my shed whats the best way to keep it safe...and is there a limit on how much I can take away from a petrol station in a container?

Comments

• Options
    Re: storing petrol
    Originally posted by byny
    If I want to store some petrol in my shed whats the best way to keep it safe...and is there a limit on how much I can take away from a petrol station in a container?
    it's ilegal. your limit is 5gallons i think. i'm ok i have an old heating oil tank which i got when the farmers caused a standstill. probably about 50 gallons of diesel in it at the mo but it will take another 150.
  • Options
    dont think theres a limit but the container has to be marked "petroleum spirit - highly flamable" or something to that effect.

dunno about keeping it safe.... dont smoke in your shed for starters!
  • Options
    ok i stand corrected
  • Options
    i'm not 100% sure about the limit but it did keep coming up in the last crisis. whatever you store it in if you do decide to store any qauntity, will leak vapour to a degree, or might leak vapour. turning on a light switch could ignite that vapour and whooosh...
    sheds gone! store it at the bottom of the garden so it's in the open. no vapour build up.
  • Options
    AH! Might be an idea to keep it away from my cats and dog too!!! I think I'm being a bit too much like my dad (Who carried an emergency rucksack in the 60's) but I think I should store some petrol incase I need to get to Ireland in a hurry...(How I'm going to make it across the see I don't know!!)
  • Options
    some petrol incase I need to get to Ireland in a hurry...(How I'm going to make it across the see I don't know!!)
    it's ok the ferry will have it's own fuel!
  • Options
    Ha ha :D
    by the way I meant SEA not see!!!
  • Options
    Ha ha :D
    by the way I meant SEA not see!!!
    i like your dads rucksack. theres a proverb in the bible that says something along the lines of; the wise man sees the calamity ahead and takes steps to avoid its full impact.
  • Options
    I assume you're thinking of storing petrol due to the impending war, and the inevetable screwing of car drivers by the oil companies. :mad:
    If you've already got appropriate containers, then it might be worth keeping some to save a little money, otherwise, the containers will cost you so much it won't be worth it. Just pay the extra per gallon/litre that the bastard oil companies are going to screw us out of, even though there is no real reason for the price increase (ie they're not going to run out of oil). :mad:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I assume you're thinking of storing petrol due to the impending war, and the inevetable screwing of car drivers by the oil companies. :mad:
    If you've already got appropriate containers, then it might be worth keeping some to save a little money, otherwise, the containers will cost you so much it won't be worth it. Just pay the extra per gallon/litre that the bastard oil companies are going to screw us out of, even though there is no real reason for the price increase (ie they're not going to run out of oil). :mad:

Mr_Wobble ;)
    it's the possibility of mens plans going tits ups. which happens often. saddam will surely fire the wells of the worlds second biggest oil reserve, having done it once befor to kuwaits. this time he will make the damage even bigger now he knows how these things were fixed last time. along with the the fact that nato is falling apart. the united nations is falling apart. european union is falling apart. america is on the verge of becoming isolationist in its polocies. international agreements have been torn up in their dozens. the war is ilegal.
    the world is entering uncharted waters. the world has NEVER...
    never, been in this situation before, either politicaly or moraly. dare i mention spiritualy.
    watch this space.
  • Options
    Re: storing petrol
    Is there a limit on how much I can take away from a petrol station in a container?
    I work in a petrol station and by law we're only allowed to sell fuel to people who are either putting it into their vehicle or into a small petrol can which can hold 4 litres. It's illegal to carry fuel in any type of container in your car though, we had a customer who was filling a large drum thingy with diesel once and the police confiscated it from him. Im glad they did too, I wouldnt have liked to have been driving behind him if he'd have had an accident :nervous:

And if you get really desperate for petrol, I'll send you some from my petrol station, we're really cheap :D