Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Super Speed Internet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to get broadband for it's super speeds. I am fed up with my supposed 56K connection that connects no faster than 38K.
I have some questions though and I was wondering if any off you lovely people could answer them for me.
  1. Can anyone reccomend a reliable cheap Broadband ISP, preferrably with a free modem and connection?
  2. Can you stll use Kazaa and MSN Messenger with broadband as off the firewalls?
  3. What is the average download speed for music?

Cheers for all of your help.

:crazyeyes Dan :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Err... top speed of 60k/s
  • Options
    You could phone up BT or what eva phone service provider your with and ask them to turn up the gain on ur fone line.
  • Options
    i get my broadband through plusnet. it costs £22 per month and i got a free modem and lineinstall free. and i havnt had a problem with it yet. i get wicked speeds all the time. and to download of kaza is great, i can do a whole cd in about 20mins
  • Options
    Can anyone reccomend a reliable cheap Broadband ISP, preferrably with a free modem and connection?

Do you want cable or ADSL? If you want cable, it's going to be either NTL or telewest / blueyonder, or your local cable provider depending on where you live. Go to www.ntl.com and put your postcode in to find out.

For ADSL, all the providers will be much the same as it all runs off BTs copper wires. The differences between the services will be down to what kind of support you get, what the response is to problems, and if you get things like static IP addresses and unblocked ports. You could go for Zen, Demon, Nildram, anything really. Try www.adslguide.com
    Can you stll use Kazaa and MSN Messenger with broadband as off the firewalls?

Normally firewalling is down to you, so it will be your setup that determines if you can use them or not. I have no problem with them, Kazaa is far better over an always-on broadband connection.
    What is the average download speed for music?

I haven't downloaded a lot of music yet. But as I can get anything up to around 65k/Sec, I should say it will be substantially faster than what you have already.
    Originally posted by Jay-O
    You could phone up BT or what eva phone service provider your with and ask them to turn up the gain on ur fone line.

Bear in mind that, if you do do that, whilst it might improve your modem speeds, it would, if anything, have an adverse effect on an ADSL connection later. So you'd need to get it sorted before they ran the line tests.
  • Options
    you can download tweaks on the net, for the cable modems. I have an NTL cable modem and have tweaked it by editing the registry and I can get downloads of about 180+kb/s

Ntl makes you pay for the box unfortunately, which is £80, but after that its:

£15 for 256kb/s connection
    £25 for 512kb/s connection
    £50 for 1024kb/s (1mb/s) connection

per month. I have the 512kb/s connection. I think the fastest I've ever gone was 250kb/s which was pretty cool. I think downloading off kazaa is the slowest because everyone else cant keep up so you get sluggish downloads sometimes, but if you get fastrack it should be ok.

music from http://uk.mp3.com can download a song in about 5 seconds... (without video...)