Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Changing careers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i dont know where to put this as it covers a few, so here goes.
At the moment i work in an office & it's not the job for me. I have finally found out what i want to do & that is to look after children who are disadvantaged, eg disabled etc..

Antone know where i can find out what i need to do in order to be able to do this?
I have tried looking on the net but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know of any websites that might be able to help me?

TA.:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ummmm charities?

Dont you have to have some kind of formal qualification though?
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Ummmm charities?

Dont you have to have some kind of formal qualification though?

I mean like schools or places they look after children.
    I know i probably need qualifications, and i'm willing to do that, i just can't seem to find out what?!:confused:
    To work in a school (as a teacher anyway) you'd have to go to Uni.

What about the AVCE Health and Social Care...i know HunnyPots doing that and she wants to work with Special Needs kiddys so maybe you could ask her?
    Careers Services National Association

Careers centres differ around the country in which services they provide to people. Depending on which company is in charge of your area, The advice may be free to everyone or restricted to certain groups of people.
    Telephone: 01926 318255
    Hiya tweeter,

My mum and dad both do work with children and adults with learning difficulties and I'm a link family so we (me, dad and sis) have someone come stay once a month and for tea once a week etc..

I'll ask them what I can for you, my mum used to (I think she still may) do freelance work for the Save the Children project, so maybe some work for ya, i'll take look-see but be patient, I'm an idiot :D

Ta ra.
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Hiya tweeter,

My mum and dad both do work with children and adults with learning difficulties and I'm a link family so we (me, dad and sis) have someone come stay once a month and for tea once a week etc..

I'll ask them what I can for you, my mum used to (I think she still may) do freelance work for the Save the Children project, so maybe some work for ya, i'll take look-see but be patient, I'm an idiot :D

Ta ra.

Ah your a star, thanks Cheeseontoast:D.
    Whats a link family? :confused:
    I don't know if you have any experience of working with disadvantaged children, but I urge you to do some in order to help decide whether it really is a career for you.

I was a volunteer in an orphanage in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. It was very informative and gave me an insight into the lives of disadvantaged people. I did various tasks that hopefully benefited them, including playing with them; giving them attention; and redecorating their (unfortunate) home.