Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Breast Cancer Run

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
A friend and I are running for breast cancer in June/July time and it's a 3 mile run. Now i know a lot of people will go huh 3 miles thats nothing, but to me it's enough. I'm pretty active but longer distances tend to bugger me completely.

Has anybody got any handy training tips like how many times a week going for a run, or how to help cut your time down etc.

We run about 2 to 3 times a week already round a 2 mile circuit but seem to be staying at the same time about 8 - 9 minutes a mile.

The thing is people are starting to up the sponsor money with time limits. Someone has said if we run it in under 20 minutes then he;ll give us both £50 toward the charity. So we're determined to run it in about 6- 7 minutes a mile.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try to time yourself at regular intervals.
    Check what time our on at such a spot one day and make sure your there that few seconds faster the next and really push yourself to do it. You need only 2/3 checkpoimts as such over that distance.

Try instead of just running for say 2/3 mile straight do circut running. Run say 200m at 3/4 pace then say slow jog the next 200ms at 3/4 pace again and vary your runs like that as opposed to one continous run. Really push yourself to do it at at least 3/4 pace. Do it maybe 5 times- its really good for your long distance speed if done right.

try to get out a bit more closer to the time:
    Always check your times- and make sure you oush yourself to an improvement each day:
    On the day of the race get up the front of the pack as you may lose a minute or two if your in the middle or back getting out and you'll be pushed more by the start of pace with all the serious athletes. Good luck and let me know how you get on!"