Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Seeing more of the Union Jack.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To go back to the thing about ethnic minorities etc. did anyone pick up the story about that school banning books about pigs (Babe, The Three Little Pigs and so on) from its library in case they offended Muslims??

The Muslim leaders seemed a bit confused about the fuss and said they were only forbidden to eat pigs, not read books about them. :lol:

Now that really is PC gone mad.
  • Options
    OMG Miffy. Too much. :lol:
  • Options
    Miffy's example of political correctness shows how peope interpret, and misinterpret, any rules and laws. Or just read their own meanings into them, and come up with some half baked interpretations.
    It's the same way that people have, do, and always will, selectively pick up on things. A lot of religions do that too.

Zero II's gave some good reasons to hate nationalism, and I hate it when people choose to be nationalist about some things (ie selectivley using it when it suits them), like the BNP do. :mad:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I agree Mr Wobble. I'm against one trend that was going on in the West: to let immigrants in who don't really want to become part of a country. That's why I'm pro showing a country's flag etc. I think if a developed country is helping you have a good life where you're free to decide your own future and speak your mind, personally, I want to see some gratitude and loyalty from that immigrant.

In the US, we even had immigrants coming into America who hate America. They were let in prior to 911.
  • Options
    This morning while walking the dog I passed a man in a car and he had a flag I didn't recognise across the back window....for some reason I assumed it was an Iraqi flag, perhaps some kind of show of support.

When I got to work I looked it up and discovered it was the flag of India. then I felt ashamed for assuming that because the man in the car was dark skinned he was probably Iraqi and that was the Iraqi flag.

It got me thinking about how the level of racist attacks against people with dark skin may go up now.

On the other hand, while on the bus to work I was really impressed when a group of boys about 14 got on the bus and started having a really indepth conversation about the threat of war, their knowledge of the situation was really good and their discussion skills were amazing. I wanted to join in but thought they may think I was some kind of bag lady trying to pick them up!!