Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Seeing more of the Union Jack.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In America, to show support for our troops, people with houses fly flags. Right now I'm seeing American flags all over the place. Do people do that in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Nope, it's just an American thing. You're all insanely patriotic, and think the US is the greatest country on the planet bar none. It's hammered in to you from a young age - all that swearing allegience to the flag in school, etc. That doesn't happen here.
    A few people do actually put up flags, but if it's anything like last time then the Sun newspaper (that's a contradiction calling it a newspaper) will publish another tacky page with a Union Jack and the head of some random British soldier on it and the words "Our Heros" in bold print, and some people will put it up in their windows where it will fade and go yellow in two days. :rolleyes:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Re: Seeing more of the Union Jack.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Do people do that in the UK?

no :p

well actually my nan's nextdoor neighbour used to, but he was a fruit loop....like you lot over there :p
  • Options
    thanks. I was wondering.

I've got a part-time job this weekend, decorating my town with American flags and red, white and blue swags. :eek:
  • Options
    In Denmark you'll see the Danish flag whenever there's a celebration.
    For example at a birthday party, the birthday-boy/girl, will be woken up by the family singing a birthday song and waving the flag. The cake will have lots of flags on it, and it's usual that napkins at birthday parties are decorated with the Danish flag.

In Israel you see the flag a lot as well. Though it isn't used at the same contexts as the Danish one.
  • Options
    No. We tend to dislike our country usually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    In Denmark you'll see the Danish flag whenever there's a celebration.
    Does this mean that Americans are celebrating the forthcoming war? :eek:
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    No. We tend to dislike our country usually.
    Everybody grumbles about their country at times, even Americans do. I think we just aren't cocky about how great and powerful we are any more. Remember, we conquered and owned half the planet at one point in the days of the British Empire. But like all empires that have come before us it eventually came to an end. I wonder if the Americans are just frustrated because in this age of the "Global Community" they know they never will have the chance to own half the World, so in frustration they bomb half the World instead? :D

pnjsurferpoet, we've got a different culture. Have a look at all the American broadcasts, and you always see the American flag around somewhere. The word "America" is often said in a particular way to try and instill a sense of patriotism, and God's always mentioned a hell of a lot. If you saw then same in another country's broadcasts you would probably call them "fanatics". Compare that to our broadcasts - no flags, rare mentions of God, and not such an emphasis on Britian or England in a patriotic tone. It's just the way we are I suppose.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Mr Wobble your first answer to me made me burst out laughing at times all last night. About being a nut. Specifically, I'm an English/American nut. I'd like to put up some Union Jack flags to show the appreciation to the UK. I said that to the Mayor and her face lit up and said: yes, yes, yes, John. Do you know how many tourists we get from the UK. Maybe they'd tell their friends back home and more will come here. I live here: www.capemay.com and we have all these Victorian bed and breakfasts doing the English tea thing. Then I said no I'm not talking about business. I'm talking about appreciating a friend. She rolled her eyes. Then said, oh of course, grabbed my wrist and smiled. Politicians!

Americans in general don't think we're powerful. We're always talking about our friends helping us...like the UK. Or enemies. The show of flags right now is to show support for our troops and also for the families they've left behind. (Remember we have around 300,000 people over there...that's a lot. And a lot of reservists had to leave college and their jobs.)
  • Options
    Re: Seeing more of the Union Jack.
    In America, to show support for our troops, people with houses fly flags. Right now I'm seeing American flags all over the place. Do people do that in the UK?

No, sadly we don't!

I would like to see more British flags about but round here our council thinks it might be offensive to ethnic minority groups!!!

So of course, we've taken them down.
  • Options
    Actually there is a time when theres lots of English/British flags out...coincidently its the same time as the World Cup :chin:
  • Options
    Mr Wobble your first answer to me made me burst out laughing at times all last night. About being a nut. Specifically, I'm an English/American nut.

How English are you, if I may ask?
    I mean, is a parent of your English? Grandparent? Great-grandparent? Mother's cousin's ex-husband's brother-in-law?

Just wondering, as you always mention it.
  • Options

How English are you, if I may ask?
    I mean, is a parent of your English? Grandparent? Great-grandparent? Mother's cousin's ex-husband's brother-in-law?

Just wondering, as you always mention it.

Think its his grandparents.
  • Options
    Actually there is a time when theres lots of English/British flags out...coincidently its the same time as the World Cup :chin:

:lol: :yes: Especially at my house! :D
  • Options

Think its his grandparents.

Yes...from Lancashire
  • Options
    So what does that make me, if I was born in Denmark, my mom is from Israel, dad is from Poland. Grandparents on one side are from Yemen. Grandparents on the other side are from Poland. Great-grandparents from Germany. Further on along the line there's some Russian blood as well... And probably Spanish as well, if you go some 400 years back.

Erm, anyone has an answer? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I suppose you could go for half-Israeli, half-Polish...or just Danish.

*shrugs*

I always just knew you as Jacqueline the Ripper, though :D

pnj is American.

Maybe Blair should be, too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I always just knew you as Jacqueline the Ripper, though :D
    Goddess Jacqueline the Ripper, thank you.
    But since it's you, I am willing to be known just as Miss Ripper ;)
  • Options

Goddess Jacqueline the Ripper, thank you.
    But since it's you, I am willing to be known just as Miss Ripper ;)

*worships*

:p
  • Options
    we have all these Victorian bed and breakfasts doing the English tea thing.
    Do the English even do the "English tea thing"?? :confused:

About the flag and "racism".... I think this is a load of rubbish. Anyone who is offended by our nations flag should bloody well piss off to another one! How can it be offensive? This is a country and they live in it, therefore they have to live with the flag! If they're all for becoming part of the nation then they can't afford to be petty about such things as flags.

Although, to be honest, who actually asked ethnic minorities if they were offended by the flag? It is probably just PC politicians. :rolleyes:

I put a St George's flag up in my room in college last year and I got told to take it down. You'd think I was a BNP supporter or something, but in this day and age that is what people are scared off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

*worships*

:p

:thumb:

Good boy!
    Learn from Shukey Boy, he's made a real progress in the last two weeks or so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

The dealie involving tea, cakes and doilies? :lol:

Nope (well, no-one that I know, anyway).
    But tea and cakes :yum::D

Anyone who is offended by our nations flag should bloody well piss off to another one!

:yes:
  • Options

About the flag and "racism"....who actually asked ethnic minorities if they were offended by the flag? It is probably just PC politicians. :rolleyes:

Yes you are right there. Ethnic minorities in this country are not offended by the union jack, it's simply polotical correctness gone mad. While we know that it is used by extreme right wing groups such as the BNP, we aren't dumb enough to believe that everyone diplaying one is associated with such groups.
    I had one in my window myself during the world cup (albeit along with those of my other 2 countries)!
  • Options
    "How English are you, if I may ask?

Just wondering, as you always mention it." Jac

My grandparents are from the Blackburn/Lancashire area.

I'm surprised to hear the minorities thing about the Union Jack because my understanding that all the crosses acknowledged the different ethinic groups...except Wales.

Thanks for answering. I was wondering.

Oh, and our scones over here...sometimes they don't add the creame of tartar. Sometimes American scones taste like doughnuts.
  • Options
    Coming from Northern Ireland I've grown up seeing flags everywhere and I've grown to fucking hate them. Patriotism and nationalism are a complete triumphalistic waste of time. This "my country's better than yours" bullshit is destructive and stupid. I mean, how much control do you have over where you're from?Also the fact that you usually see the St George's cross wrapped around some beer boy fucking numbskull about to kick the shit out of a poor German or whoever doesn't help.

Of course, in NI they have different, even more sinister connotations and maybe that's why I hate them so much. Afraid I can't be any morwe articulate on this but I've just realised what a pile of crap it all is. Even more than before. Thank you and good night.
  • Options
    thanks for posting that zero. it was interesting to read and hear a different point of view.
  • Options
    At the mo there are Irish flags everywhere over here.

But then again, it is Patricks Day :D

SOme people still have flags up from the world cup where I live (where we did pretty good for a crappy team :) )
  • Options
    Sometimes American scones taste like doughnuts.

Deep fried scones taste like doughnuts. :yum:
  • Options

I put a St George's flag up in my room in college last year and I got told to take it down. You'd think I was a BNP supporter or something, but in this day and age that is what people are scared off.

That's scary. If I had the Scottish flag up and some oink told me to take it down, I'd slap them.

Damn people :mad:
  • Options
    That's where political correctness goes too far. In the US some people were complaining that people wearing flag pins shouldn't be allowed in some places because it's as if people who don't wear flag pins aren't patriotic. Hello? Freedom of speech.

Also on t.v., reporters on CNN were told not to wear American flag pins because they are supposed to be impartial. Then reporters on Fox made it a point to wear them. Then CNN said it was up to the reporter. It's all about business.
  • Options
    pnj, in some way or another it's all political.

At my old school, when celebrating Israels Independance-day, we'd hoist the Israeli flag. But in order to show respect for Denmark, the Queen, and show that we weren't dissing Denmark, we'd hoist the Danish flag above the Israeli flag.

I mean, at every other celebration we'd always hoist the Danish flag, but even when this was direvtly connected to Israel, we wouldn't dream of not hoisting the Danish one.
  • Options
    I guess as long as any flag is raised in pride or celebration and not hatred or anger ....it's all good.

I hate to hear of people getting hurt or even killed over a sporting event.