Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

University of Wales, Bangor?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone here been to, is at, or might be going to, the University of Wales, Bangor? Any opinions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not personally, but one of my ex's is there doing Psychology & he loves it & one of my best mates plans to start there this September. He went for an interview a few weeks ago & stayed there for a couple of days just to get a feel for the place & he loves it too.

It's supposed to be a very beautiful & small city from what i've heard but not sure about the actual Uni i'm afraid. :)
    I haven't been there but a friend of mine is a lecturer there and another went there to study.

My teacher friend says it is quite isolated and the shops are shit. They can't build any big shops because people complain and protest against plans to because it would change the character of the thown. If she wants to go shopping its a two hour journey to Shrewsbury!!!

My friend who studied there is a fluent welsh speaker but evven he was shocked at the level of anti-english feeling by his fellow students, so be prepared for that.

on the plus side if you like the countryside and the sea its meant to be cool.
    Thanks for your quick replies!

It does indeed seem very beautiful, for it is located between Snowdonia and the sea. In fact it has won the best located university award, testament to its scenery.

I am visiting Bangor on an open day on Monday. I am going on the Sunday (it'll take six hours to get there), so I should hopefully get a feel for the place.

I come from North Devon, which is very much countryside and seaside, so I should fit in very well. Except for not being Welsh, of course.

I'll be a mature student when I start. <sigh>

Cheers again.
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Thanks for your quick replies!

It does indeed seem very beautiful, for it is located between Snowdonia and the sea. In fact it has won the best located university award, testament to its scenery.

I am visiting Bangor on an open day on Monday. I am going on the Sunday (it'll take six hours to get there), so I should hopefully get a feel for the place.

I come from North Devon, which is very much countryside and seaside, so I should fit in very well. Except for not being Welsh, of course.

I'll be a mature student when I start. <sigh>

Cheers again.

It's also very cheap. ;)

Don't worry about the mature student thing, my ex was nearly 22 when he started & isn't in the slightest bit Welsh but fitted in fine.

Have fun! :)
    I don't mind being a mature student, for it has several good advantages... :)

Hellie (great name, by the way) - I'll be in the School of Social Sciences, like your ex. I'll be studying Criminology and Criminal Justice.

Hellie (great name, by the way) - I'll be in the School of Social Sciences, like your ex. I'll be studying Criminology and Criminal Justice.

It's my actual nickname. :p

Ohh i've applied to do Criminology (and Sociology) but at Cardiff. :) It's my first choice too.
    A nickname? Oh, and I was thinking how lucky you were... :naughty:

Have you been conditionally or unconditionally accepted into Cardiff? I have two friends there (both studying Civil Engineering) and I think that they like it.

Did you consider Bangor?
    A nickname? Oh, and I was thinking how lucky you were... :naughty:

Have you been conditionally or unconditionally accepted into Cardiff? I have two friends there (both studying Civil Engineering) and I think that they like it.

Did you consider Bangor?

Hehe, yeah it was brought about by one of my mates sister's calling me "Helen from Hell" when she was about 5 & my mates started calling me Hellie after that. :D

I've been conditionally accepted at Cardiff, so gotta get those damn grades! :crazyeyes

I went to a department open day last week there & got chatting to a couple of the second years also doing Sociology & they love it there which is a good sign! I love Cardiff generally anyway so hopefully if I get in I will continue to do so!

I didn't consider Bangor actually, my ex going there put me off. :p Hehe, nah I just found other places I would rather apply to although I did look at the prospectus during my "where the hell shall I apply" stage. :D
    Bangor is part of the University of Wales group. So can one use the facilities of the insitutions within this group, like one can at London University? (i.e. King's College, UCL, etc).
    : o i know someone who is thinking of going there, dont know anything about it myself though as my friend is currently in Spain
    I went to an open day at Bangor the other week and to be honest i wasn't impressed. The facilities were good and the teaching has excellent ratings which i suppose is the most important thing but, I did think however it wouldn't be the type of place i could call home for the next three years. It was just too secluded (sp). I think with a place like bangor, you either know you like it or know you dont. As you can tell i knew i didn't.
    Originally posted by emj
    I think with a place like bangor, you either know you like it or know you dont. As you can tell i knew i didn't.

Yep, I'm glad that you found you did not like it when you did, for it saves any hassles later.

I went to an open day on March 17 at the School of Social Sciences. Did you?

I come from a relatively secluded town, near many seaside villages and towns and general countryside. So I will really love Bangor.