Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

national non smoking day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
its been over a week since ive stoped doing any drugs (smoke pot, pills) and today i have decided to give up smoking on national non smoking day (wich i didnt know was today) i have my patch on and im doing suprizingly well. but its only been 3hrs

but will i beable to keep it up. Has anyone else decided to give up smoking today or in the last couple of weeks, if so how did you give up.

i cant belive im giving up everything, im going to have more money than i know what to do with it and im going to be soo straight laced i might as well start to go to church.

:):):)

Comments

• Options
    I was going to give up today, but I forgot!! You've just reminded me that it is Non Smoking Day...OOOPS!

p.s. Who won that Caravan of Cash thing???
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maypoo
    I was going to give up today, but I forgot!! You've just reminded me that it is Non Smoking Day...OOOPS!

p.s. Who won that Caravan of Cash thing???

Amy of corse:) thanx for you votes
  • Options
    I don't get the point of National Non Smoking Day. It's like, hey go ahead smoke till you drop for the other 365 days of the year, just not on March 12th.

*wonders if today is gonna be the day when no-one blows smoke in my face*

Hmmm
  • Options
    My Dad was doing really well, he had manged to give up smoking for four years after smoking for 30 odd. Walked into the kitchen this morning to the tell tale smell :( bah.
  • Options
    right im starting to feel realy agitated and my hands are shaking like mad...

but im not ging to break.

if i can give up pot (wich i smoked far far to much of) i can give up smoking!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Type R
    right im starting to feel realy agitated and my hands are shaking like mad...

but im not ging to break.

if i can give up pot (wich i smoked far far to much of) i can give up smoking!!!!!!!!!

I gave up smoking and i didnt even smoke when i went down the pub last night :D

Dont give up hun!
  • Options
    Good look matey!

Try chewing gum or something, apparenly you need to keep your mouth busy... ;):p

Don't stop trying, it will require a lot of willpower, but think of the money you'll save!!!
  • Options
    thanx lacy and bumblebee

i am chewing gum, and i bought that realy rank wrigleys airwaves:yuck: :yuck:

but im not going to give up

but it's realy getting hard and i know that im going to snap at someone soon,
  • Options
    im doing well, but i feel like shit now,:mad: :mad: :mad:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Keep it up :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Keep it up :D

i am:D :D

i feel a little bit better now
  • Options

i am:D :D

i feel a little bit better now

Get some food into ya :)
  • Options
    im going to mc donalds for lunch @ 1
  • Options
    im going to mc donalds for lunch @ 1

Cheeky fuck! Take me im starving :(
  • Options
    Go Burt Go !!

:hyper: :thumb:
  • Options
    i gave up smoking on monday!! wooooo go me!*does evil_daves happy dance*
    i had my carbon monoxide levels tested on mon and it was 19 i got it done at college again today, cos its non smoking day they have all this stuff about it in the canteen...way to put you off ur food, but anyway yea i got it done again today and it was only 2!!!! woohoo! im well proud!

but i found that even in the forst 2 days of giving up ive gotten really depressed. just my bodys way of tempting me back to the cancer sticks i gues cos i smoke more when i get down cos the nicotine makes me calmer.
    i got the patch on and every thing!
  • Options
    I've tried to give up, lasted 2 weeks once then cracked. It's much harder than it sounds :(

Thing with me is, I could probably give up fags, but then I couldnt give up my skunk. Considering how much worse a joint is than a fag, it seems pointless giving up cigarettes. Kinda no win situation :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr T
    I've tried to give up, lasted 2 weeks once then cracked. It's much harder than it sounds :(

Thing with me is, I could probably give up fags, but then I couldnt give up my skunk. Considering how much worse a joint is than a fag, it seems pointless giving up cigarettes. Kinda no win situation :crazyeyes

I was a heavy pot smoker for about 8 years, smoking about an 8th a day, but i quit that last week and i dont feel the need for a spliff.

i feel much better after having a mc donalds for lunch, but it was weird coz after i finnished i didnt feel the need to smoke a fag, so that must be the patch working
  • Options
    i dont fuckin believe it!

i got myself prepared for non smokin day when i saw a poster in the lifts that said its the 13th of march

:mad: :mad: :mad:

well, suppose i can go without any smoke tommorow instead
  • Options
    I dont agree with this National No Smoking Day crap. At the end of the day you have to want to give up for yourself, not for some stupid idiots sat at a board meeting saying "letas have a NO smoking Day"
    If you want to pack in then its got to be for yourself, its got to be when the times right for you and only YOU can decide when that time is right.

I can imagine them at their desks saying to one another "What National Day shall we have next" then Jimmy replies

" Lets have a National NO Sex Day" yeah i bet youre not to keen to join in that thing are you :p;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I dont agree with this National No Smoking Day crap. At the end of the day you have to want to give up for yourself, not for some stupid idiots sat at a board meeting saying "letas have a NO smoking Day"
    If you want to pack in then its got to be for yourself, its got to be when the times right for you and only YOU can decide when that time is right.

I can imagine them at their desks saying to one another "What National Day shall we have next" then Jimmy replies

" Lets have a National NO Sex Day" yeah i bet youre not to keen to join in that thing are you :p;)

then why have red nose day?

if we wanted to we could give cash every day to charity.

i do see your point though (and i wonder how many of those nobs on the board actually smoke:chin: )
  • Options
    I gave up 4 weeks ago and apart from 2 spliffs I've succeeded. Pure will power. You have to be able to say no to that little voice that says 'just one won't hurt'
  • Options
    PS - if national no smoking day means that just one person gives up and as a result isn't a drain on the national health through smoking related disease then I sag good for national no smoking day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I gave up 4 weeks ago and apart from 2 spliffs I've succeeded. Pure will power. You have to be able to say no to that little voice that says 'just one won't hurt'

well done.

im havin a bad time quittin...ok so all ive done is cut down a lot.

7 a day is better than 20-30 though.

and lo, the craving doth deminish in power.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braidsta

then why have red nose day?

if we wanted to we could give cash every day to charity.

i do see your point though (and i wonder how many of those nobs on the board actually smoke:chin: )

Notice you didnt mention about the sex bit ;):p

Byny the amount of taxes a smoker pays beleive me if everyone stopped smoking where the hell would they get the money to fund the NHS (but this topic i beleive should go in politics) :)
  • Options
    i have beaten heroin addiction, amphetamine addiction ...i cannot beat nicotine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i have beaten heroin addiction, amphetamine addiction ...i cannot beat nicotine.

have you tryed the patches, they have worked for me.

it is now the second day and i feel alot better than i did yesterday. i even managed to sit there and watch crazyredeyes smoke a spliff, but im going to go to the doctors today to get some more patches coz i only have 2 left.
  • Options
    When my dad died of a sudden heart attack the first thing my sister did was start smoking despite having given up years before after suffering plurosy. I gave up but started again then gave up then started again then gave up...I know how hard it can be, and I know that each day I smoked I felt like shit, I didn't enjoy it and I was scared I was going to have a heart attack.

I get the point about funding the NHS but I hope you don't mean that smoking is a good way to fund the NHS!!

I'm pretty sure that given the ailments smoking can lead to any 20 a day smoker would say that they would rather they hadn't ever started?

I didn't start until I was 25...I thought it was disgusting, then for some reason I started to follow the crowd...I've regretted it eversince.
  • Options
    Byny I would think we all know how bad smoking is for us. When people initially start smoking (younger generation) I beleive its to look good infron of their mates, bit like "hey look how big I am" I did the exact same thing myself. Now because im more mature and wiser Id say to anyone young or old "for gawds sake please dont start smoking, because when you come to your senses its going to be hard to pack in" and that they will regret starting in the 1st place".

I certainly dont mean smoking is a way of funding the NHS, what I meant was as smokers we pay billions of tax every year so if we do need any help from the NHS then we deserve the same treatment as anyone else.

If I could start again I would NOT even tried a fag. Im now back on fags and at this time in my life am not ready to quit, one day I will but it has to be for me and when im ready, I beleive this is the same for any smoker because if they are not in the right frame of mind then chances are they will fail.

I think a good way to stop people from starting smoking in the 1st place would be to show dramatic pictures, videos etc at maybe 12 yrs old and let the younger generation see what smoking can do. Let them see images of people maybe aged 40 who havent smoked and images of people who have and they will see the difference. Let them see videos diaries maybe of people who have lung cancer etc etc. Its ok myself as an adult and a parent saying "stop smoking or dont even start" but without actually letting people see the real damage smoking does they will just ignore me and carry on regardless.
  • Options
    I think people who are on cigarettes should get help in getting off them and they should view their habit as the first stage in lung cancer or heart disease. My dad's friend used a patch and got off it. Don't let evil companies make a profit off of your life. They know their products are bad for people...and they always have.