Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Parents?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Your parents, how would you describe them?

Are they cool with your mates?
Do they show you up?
Are you ashamed to be seen in the streets with them?
Are they mental?

I used to be a bit embarrased by my parents, they were ok dont get me wrong but other peoples parents always seemed cooler than mine. My Dad was very strict with me so I used to resent him for that, Id throw megga strops because he wouldnt let me do what i wanted, now cos im a BIG GIRL I understand where he was coming from ;)

So how do you get on with yours?

Comments

• Options
    my parents r cool.
  • Options
    My parents are brilliant when it comes to friends etc. However, they were planning on coming and seeing me next weekend but my dad is now saying he doesn't want to come and see me after all.:crying:
  • Options
    My mum has got stranger and stranger the older she's got. My parents were typical hippie parents quite open about sex and drugs etc so as a child I knew all about all sorts of strange lifestyles and I wanted my mum and dad to be a bit more 'normal'.
    My dad is dead now but he was a great laugh and a complete eccentric, made his own spirits, liked good music and books...on the other hand he was completely selfish so providing the basics for his family was never important.
    All my mates thought he was dead cool and most people liked him despite his inconsistencies. He was hugely paranoid though and used to think things like our phone was being tapped (Like who'd want to) and he had various Pseudenoms!

My mum (who is still alive) likes gardening until its almost an obsession, she has pannic attacks and she changed the locks when we'd all moved out. Her home is just that....her home.
    She was really young when she had us and now that we've all got our own houses I think k she wants to live her life fairly independently from her children. she's cool though, although I'm not sure I could rely on her to be one of those mums who'd look after my kids for me etc etc.

One thing I really love about my mum is that she really brought us up to be OK people (even if I say so myself) and somehow she managed to give us all very high self esteem and to make us all very independent. She taught us that our opinion did count which I think is something she didn't get when she was young from her own parents. I've realised since my dad died that while I always thought it was my dad who taught me all these things, it was infact mostly down to my mum.

We were taught at home for the first few years of school age and she did a bloody good job.
  • Options
    Re: Parents?

Are they cool with your mates? yep

Do they show you up? nope, though my dad was a little embarrassing when he was drunk the other night!

Are you ashamed to be seen in the streets with them? nope not at all. I go shopping with then a fair bit, even go to the cinema and stuff if I'm at a loose end.

Are they mental? ofcourse, why else would I be like this!

I get on with them really well, we've never argued much at all and they pretty much let us do what we want. I'm living at home at 22 and we dont argue at all really so it cant be that bad!
  • Options
    Re: Parents?

My parents are completely unfit. They shouldn't have been allowed to procreate. I'm surprised I've turned out alright (well, at least on the outside). As for all but myself and one of my siblings, the cycle of bad parenting has continued and their children are in desperate need of stability and loving homes. I blame my mother for most of it (seeing as my father was never around enough to be a father).

My mother is a nutcase. She's depressed and suicidal. She thinks everyone is criticizing her and that all I ever do is disrespect her (which actually, her dictatorship parenting turned me into a very respectful and polite young lady :) ) Overall, she is very mentally unstable.

My father is violent. I'm glad my parents got divorced when I was a baby. As an adult, I've seen my father more often than as a child living with my mother (who made it very clear to us that she did not want him around). And with seeing him now, I appreciate my parents not 'staying in it for the kids.'
  • Options
    My dad is always late. He is always being told he looks younger than his 46 years and dresses in such a respect. He is really fit and plays football, he also referees. He has been stuck in a dead end job for 26 years to support his family. He is a nice bloke, really caring. He's a good cook and he'll always make me food at any time of the day or night. He's too soft - a pushover. Unless he's in a bad mood and then he's a git! He can be rude to shop assistants for stuff that isn't their fault and he never does anything my mum asks him to do!

My mum is alright most of the time. She had a strict upbringing and for that reason she has always been really cool with her kids - letting us stay out late (as long as she knows where we are etc). She is a moody cow a lot of the time but she is disabled and I know we could do a lot more about the house to help her out.

They're both really liberal minded and have encouraged me (because my brother won't take the hint!) to be the best I can be.

My dad can always be sweet talked into giving me a lift somewhere / picking me up.
  • Options
    My mam goes on at me.

My dad doesn't talk to me.

I love them both loads though :)
  • Options
    When I was younger I was one of those little shits who think they are far too cool to be seen with their parents :blush: !!

I have grown up a bit since then spend loads of time with them. I think their the only thing I am going to miss when I leave this nasty town and go to uni in september.
  • Options
    My parents are good. We are not amazingly close like some people are but that is ok.
  • Options
    my parents are pretty good with me and my sister-when i was younger, i was always ashamed ofmy rents,no matter what they weredoing, and my sister has just been through the same phase-she's 14. Now, i see why they were how they were when i was younger-so many parents are just way overprotective of their children when they're young, i guess youlearn to deal with it as you get older and once you reach a certain age, they're cool with you doing whatever! I'm comingup for 17, and my parents still check where i'm going just incase there's a problem, but generally, they don't mind what i'm doing and who with as long as they have a vague idea! :) you gotta love them.....
  • Options
    My Parents are cool, i love them to bits, my mum is in Human Resources at a distrubution company and my dad is the Electrical Manager of a hatchery, they are based all over Africa, so he is bearly home!!

When i still lived at home they were a bit mental and overprotective, i never had a curfew , unlike me little sister - (me 21 she 18) but they were still cool, i got along with them and my friends got along with them which is cool!!!
  • Options
    Hmm i have a somewhat volatile relationship with my parents.

My mum has low self esteem an is on anti depressants. She sometimes annoys me when she goes fishing for compliments and then sulks when she doesnt get any. She bought us up when she was young herself, she did a good job of that. She doesnt care about what mates i have, although shes always trying to stop me getting into trouble. Shes a good mummy compared to some :)

My dad was bought up in a strict poor family. Strict that he was beaten into doing stuff. His family were rough as fuck (still are) and he expects the same from us. I do occasionly get hit for not doing stuff but these days i tend to hit back. Everyone who sees him thinks hes my older brother :rolleyes: And some people in my year said he was fit *shudders* Hes ok about things too. Bit more protective but thats cos im a girl.

Its weird. Loads of people say to me that they wish they had a family like mine cos we're always laughing an joking but they dont really know what goes on behind closed doors.
  • Options
    My folks are cool. They like a good drink. They like a smoke. They like to party. My folks house is an open house and a few of my friends pop round even when I'm not there. They're very easy to talk to and my Mum's a wicked dancer ;)
  • Options
    My parents are pretty decent.

I get on with my Mum great, we always go shopping or to the theatre together & my mates all love her too. I can talk to her about pretty much anything.

I get on with my Dad most of the time. We are both pretty stubborn though & sometimes have very different ideas about things so we argue quite a bit. When we are getting on we get on really well though, he is like my teacher about life. :D He's the one who has sat down with me when I used to struggle with my maths homework, he sat down with me last weekend & went through all the finance things I need to know for Uni & he taught me how to drive too.

For some reason boyfriends are scared of my Dad at first but once they have chatted to him for half an hour or so they love him to bits!

I love them both dearly & they have always been good about curfew times when I was younger, my mates used to always want to stay at mine as I had a later curfew than them! :D