Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Tenacious D!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is anyone going to see them on their 2 date UK tour?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    That is hardly a tour is it?!

I used to really like them, but then I realised that they already had jobs, granted they're not very good at them (subjective opinion of my own). There are 1000s of people in great bands who slave away everyday trying to make it in the music industry who are far more deserving than a couple of going-nowhere-actors with nothing better to do. Yes, Jack Black has a good voice, yes, Kyle Gas plays the guitar really well..... but so do 1000s of other people who have very little money, tour their backsides off and get nowhere. I don't think it is fair that two wealthy people can just get a record contract on the basis of some comedy songs and thus deny someone else the chance of that contract.

Rant over.

No, I'm not going to see them. I imagine both "tour" dates are in London anyway!
  • Options
    Nah, seen 'em twice already.
  • Options
    so bumble, youre not allowed to be in a band if you have a day job? LOL
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

I used to really like them, but then I realised that they already had jobs

How do you expect them to pay for equipment etc. without money?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

How do you expect them to pay for equipment etc. without money?

FFS! It isn't like they work in a supermarket to make some cash to pay for equipment, touring, merchandise etc. Jack Black is a Hollywood actor, and I just think he should stick to that and let people who have worked hard all their lives to simply be musicians get contracts. That is all I meant and I think you know that. Unless you're really thick and didn't realise they were actors. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I will be seeing them on Sunday in Edinburgh.:crazyeyes

I'm by no means their biggest fan but I say good on them! So what if they already have jobs and make good money?? They are just having a laugh and eveyone is having a laugh with them.

Go boys :D
  • Options

FFS! It isn't like they work in a supermarket to make some cash to pay for equipment, touring, merchandise etc. Jack Black is a Hollywood actor, and I just think he should stick to that and let people who have worked hard all their lives to simply be musicians get contracts.

So, what? If they wanted to form a band they had to stop acting, get a job in a supermarket, and save up that way? Seems kinda pointless when you can make the money faster through acting.
    Unless you're really thick and didn't realise they were actors. :rolleyes:

I new Jack was an actor. I didn't know about Kyle though. Believe it or not, finding out the background on all the bands I listen to isn't exactly top of my priority list.

I wasn't aware that general knowledge was an effective method of measuring someone's intelligence either.
  • Options
    You could say eactly the same about Jenifer Lopez and all those soap stars that do really shitty pop songs.
  • Options
    if the bands that had worked hard all their life being nothing but musicians wanted it enough and/or were good enough, then they would make it. You cant hold it against bands like tenacious D, that other hard working bands dont become famous.
  • Options
    Exactly Rainbow brite. They are a funny band , and thats all that they want, to make people laugh.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that general knowledge was an effective method of measuring someone's intelligence either.
    I would say it was quite a good indicator actually. :confused:

It is quite funny how many people are defending them, but I asked some people, without mentioning who I was talking about if they thought the scenario was fair, and they agreed that it wasn't. When I told them I was referring to Tenacious D they changed their minds.

Anyway, like I said, opinion is subjective. I don't think they need you people to defend them, their success and wealth speaks for itself.
  • Options
    im defending them, not because they need me to, but because I think they are good at what they do, and they deserve it. I couldnt give two hoots that theres plenty of unknown bands that deserve fame but dont get it, thats the way of the world, and its a competitive business. There are very few people that have the luxury of being full time musicians without having another job to tide them over. Also a lot of people are in bands because it is fun, and they have no interest in making their entire living from it, because that would take a lot of the fun out of it.
    Im glad you are supportive of unknown bands, I think thats great, but its not a question of whether its fair or not. one persons idea of success is different to anothers, and I know plenty of people in bands who would not wish to be as famous as Tenacious D for instance, with all the pressure that would bring. That doesnt mean I respect them less as musicians.
  • Options

I would say it was quite a good indicator actually. :confused:

So as long as people know useless trivia such as this, they are intelligent?
    It is quite funny how many people are defending them, but I asked some people, without mentioning who I was talking about if they thought the scenario was fair, and they agreed that it wasn't. When I told them I was referring to Tenacious D they changed their minds.

Maybe it's not fair that some bands that are just as good as, or better than Tenacious D, don't get breaks, but that's life. Just because they got a head start, doesn't make them any less talented.
  • Options
    Just because they got a head start, doesn't make them any less talented.
    Which I think you will find I did acknowledge. I hope you enjoyed picking me to pieces over my opinion, despite the fact that I acknowledged that they were talented etc.
    Yes, Jack Black has a good voice, yes, Kyle Gas plays the guitar really well
  • Options

Which I think you will find I did acknowledge. I hope you enjoyed picking me to pieces over my opinion, despite the fact that I acknowledged that they were talented etc.

You're acknowledgement wasn't in disupte here. I just found the following quote a bit obnoxious:
    I used to really like them, but then I realised that they already had jobs
  • Options
    Kiezo is right, just cos they are actors doesn't mean that can't do anything else.
  • Options
    Ok, when I say I really liked them, I was exaggerating a bit. I heard Wonderboy (the first time around) and thought it was good. I didn't know who it was by and when I found out I was appalled. Doesn't stop me liking the song.
  • Options
    omg, i love tenacious d!! i used to hate that type of music until my sisters ex started us listening to it...i'm more into rap though!! i'd so love to see them on tour, are they any good??
    they already have jobs....? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by __h0t_4_u__
    they already have jobs....? :confused:
    Did you read the rest of the post? Your question would have been answered quite thourghly. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    erm....my bad....sorry! just kinda skimmed it...will know for the future though! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by __h0t_4_u__
    erm....my bad....sorry! just kinda skimmed it...will know for the future though! :p
    lol, s'ok!