Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Guitar?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay my latest fad is that I want to learn to play guitar.

So some of you must have done this so I want to know :

What sort of guitar should I get for learning on but that's not completely shit so I wont have to replace it soon as I learn?

Where's the best online places to get guitar info from?

How much should I pay for my guitar?

What else do I need?

Moo. :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    The sound of an acoustic guitar (in my opinion) is infinately better than any electric processed sound. Get yourself a nice nylon string acoustic to start with (nicer for ur fingers, and trust me, they will begin to hurt, mine hurt now when i play and ive been playing for about 3 years) and you can expect to pay anywhere from 80 or 90 quid, to a couple of hundred. Once you start, i recommend any of the Yamaha acoustics, very nice steel string guitars, i own one and am very happy with it. anything else and let me know, ill be glad the help ya out :)
  • Options
    Ohh sorry, get yourself an electric tuner (so you can tune your guitar) and a couple of plectrums, pleckies are 10p each here, dunno bout UK, and the tuner should set u back no more than 20 quid!
  • Options
    Okeydokey.
  • Options
    i have an electro-acoustic. best of both worlds. play accoustic or plug it in and rock. with the electric option i can plug straight into my sound card where i can edit endlessly, adding efects etc.
    cheap and chearful is enough to put most beginners off becuase the "action" is terrible. to check out the "action" is easy. at one end of the guitar you have machine heads for tightening/loosening strings. at the other end is the guitar body.
    as the strings travel toward the body along the neck, they get further away from the neck. this makes pressing the strings to the neck with your sore fingers very difficult and also slows down the speed your fingers can jump from chord to chord. so look for strings that stay very close to the neck at both ends... this is called the action. if you buy second hand and spend a £100 you should be getting a £200 and upwards instrument. best of luck.
  • Options
    Okay that is useful to know. Ta. :)
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    When it comes to playing the guitar, it'll take a while before you'll actually be able to play anything, but stick with it through the frustration and then one day you'll suddenly be able to play the tune that you've been learning for so long...

After that initial struggle it all gets so much easier :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks folk!