Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

RAM

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I just bought 256mb of RAM.

It's a single sided DIMM (chips only on one side).
It only registers at 128mb.

Would this be because my motherboard doesn't support single sided memory? (It's a PIII 450 ATX, and a few years old).

Thanks for any help :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You sure its not 128 DDR (which some shops sell as 256, forgetting some ppls machines wont recognise DDR RAM
    It's 256MB PC100 SDRAM (there's a sticker on the chip, too).
    168pin DIMM

It had a warning on the website that some m/boards wouldn't support it.
    its DIMM (ie dual inline memory module) surely it cant be single sided then?
    Originally posted by Daffeh
    its DIMM (ie dual inline memory module) surely it cant be single sided then?

Yep...only got chips on one side of the module.
    I'd say for sure it's your motherboard. I had a similar problem last year. You could check by plugging the mem into a newer PC and seeing if it registers as 256Mb. That way you'll confirm you haven't been diddled.
    I've had a similar problem with a 128MB PC133 DIMM which an older computer would only recognise as being a 64MB DIMM. Yet another machine, just as old, recognised it perfectly. Go figure!?
    And I know it definitely wasn't the DIMM, because the shop was quite happy to exchange it for another (just incase it was a dodgy connection), and that was the same.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I've never noticed that problem before and I've used some weird motherboards with single-sided chips. Maybe there are some settings you need to change on the board or jumpers or update the bios?
    Don't mean to steal your thread here, but I have a problem with my ram too!

I currently have 64Mb of SDRAM and I want to upgrade...but I'm not sure what to buy...I look in computer magazines, like MicroMart and they advertise SDRAM at PC100, PC133, PC256...does this PC(...) matter?:confused:
    Get the pc133 stuff. It will run slower if your motherboard wont go that fast.

Don't get DDR stuff though. That will be incompatible.
    Cheers peoples :)

I think the problem may be to do with the fact that my motherboard was produced at about the same time as the dead sea scrolls.