Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bit of Rough

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you use or hear the phrase "Bit of rough" in reference to a person, how is it meant? What does it mean to u? What are its positive and negative traits?

Do you see the phrase "Rough and ready" as the same?

Strange question I know!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought that 'rough' just meant that you were hungover or ill. I have never heard a bit of rough or the other thing you said sorry.
    Rough and ready si something that has done quickly, so not very well... I think.
    Originally posted by lore
    Rough and ready si something that has done quickly, so not very well... I think.

I'm talking more in reference to people,
    Maybe this one is best left to the english...

"A bit of rough"

or

"Rough and ready"

are English phrases directed towards a person. I just want to know what people view its meaning as and whether it is positive or negative!
    The "rough" could be "rough and tumble"

Don't hold me to that though.
    In the proper context, a persons "bit of rough" is his/her bit on the side. i.e. some else other than their regular partner.
    Take this sentence -

"I think he's a bit rough and ready"

or

"She's a bit of rough".

In that sense how do you see it. I am more interested in those that use the term rather than those that are just guessing thanks.
    Well, to me "a bit of rough" would describe someone sort of a bit scruffy, unshaven and that type of thing...not smartly dressed or pampered etc. and whose behaviour wasn't perfect.
    I can't really think how to describe it, but I know what I mean!

As for "rough and ready" i wouldn't use that in relation to people normally, and according to Chambers English Dictionary it means "ready to hand or easily improvised and serving the purpose well enough". (yup, i may well be sad looking it up, but it was annoying me that i couldn't think how to put it!!...Chambers always knows best!)
    I know what your after, but you have to think of this:

"This is my bit of rough" is a way of saying "This is my partner/girlfriend/boyfriend"
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin
    I know what your after, but you have to think of this:

"This is my bit of rough" is a way of saying "This is my partner/girlfriend/boyfriend"

Thats more Bit of Fluff. I'm thinking more of when you are referring to a non partner type.

Example again -

My girl mate I am trying to set up with a male friend of mine.

"Would you be interested in him Susan?"

"Well he is quite nice looking but I'm not interested"

"Why not?"

"Well he's just a bit of rough really"

So going on Xapis and Grepus good answers, could that mean "He is just a fling really" or more "He's a bit too rough...literally"?
    I think it could be either in that sense, it could be literal, like she's looking for something a bit less "rough", a bit more taken care of, or she wants something that's more likely to be steady (if she thinks he's a rough, bad boy type and she's looking for a different kind of relationship)
    Personally, I would describe someone like Robbie Williams as "a bit of rough", if that's any help! It's not necessarily completely negative, just depends what you want!
    bit of rough - person (usually male) who's a bit on the bad side, while still being appealing.

usually used to describe those people who are bad for you but you can't help falling for them.
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    bit of rough - person (usually male) who's a bit on the bad side, while still being appealing.

usually used to describe those people who are bad for you but you can't help falling for them.

Yeah that's exactly the definition I would give as well.... dunno what all these other cack explanations people were giving were all about!

I like a bit of rough and ready :naughty:
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I thought someone who was "rough" was ugly..
    i thought rough an ready was like a guy who hadnt shaved for a few days or summat.

and rough was just a ugly bitch/hungover/no lookin their best or summat.

god im useless at explaining things.
    Originally posted by Pink Soda

Yeah that's exactly the definition I would give as well.... dunno what all these other cack explanations people were giving were all about!

I like a bit of rough and ready :naughty:

If thats right then why would my girl mate that described my male mate as that not be interested?
    Originally posted by Flake_Mustaine
    I thought someone who was "rough" was ugly..

yeah, they are.

but if they're a 'bit of rough' it means something different.
    Originally posted by Sir Cum

If thats right then why would my girl mate that described my male mate as that not be interested?

either:

(a) she's using the phrase in the wrong way

(b) she likes nice, clean, polite men.
    I always thought "a bit of rough" refered to someone ugly?

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Yeh i would say 'bit of rough' in reference to a person would be referring to their bit on the side.

'Rough and ready' i think is more of an appearance thing, the whole just got out of bed look! :D
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Yeh i would say 'bit of rough' in reference to a person would be referring to their bit on the side.

yeah, thats what i always thought it meant
    I agree with legal junkie and Pink soda on this one... We used to call my sister's boyfriend her "bit of rough", mainly because he had tattoos galore, a drug habit and a criminal record - yet she still found him appealing! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by legal junkie

Yeah what legal junkie has said is what i would of thought that your friend meant by him,
    its like yes she thinks he is alright looking but he is a bit of a 'bad boy' maybe? but then i don't know him so i don't know if thats what she meant?
    or she couldd also of meant he would be just a fling, nothing serious like relationship etc..
    sorry if this doesn't mamke much sence but i'm tired! :)