Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

religion and the media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi can people help me out here. I am due to do a presentation and an essay on a topic which involves the media and religion. But I have no idea what topic to choose to discuss has anyone got any ideas as in what topic they think I should do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about the media portrayal of muslim and islam post 9/11?
    Re: religion and the media
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    Hi can people help me out here. I am due to do a presentation and an essay on a topic which involves the media and religion. But I have no idea what topic to choose to discuss has anyone got any ideas as in what topic they think I should do?

I don't know much about the grading criteria for your presentation, but I reckon you could talk about the way religious issues have been protrayed in films and/or T.V. programmes, like the Euthanasia issue with Dorothy Cotton in Eastenders, or Six Feet Under.

Make it really interesting.
    I hadn't thought about that one - perhaps I will do it, but it seems a bit difficult. Is there a lot of information accessible to me through the net etc? Thankyou for replying.

If anyone has anymore ideas then I'd like to hear about them. Thankyou I need to sort this out by next week!! So I can do with all the help I can get.
    Hi hunny pot for your reply too. I will have to ask you the same question though, is there a lot of information on the net etc on this topic? if so can you point me in the right direction to find it. Unfortunately I don't have access to a tv so I didn't know that was happening in the soap.
    Hunnypots suggestion will be more interesting for your classmates to listen to! If you had access to a TV then it would be much easier than my suggestion, however as you don't it might prove difficult.

Where are you from? If it was me ( I live in Glasgow) I would look at the sectarianism between catholics/protestants and look at how that is affected by the old firm (Rangers/Celtic) matches. I would also look at newspapers which obviously support this blatant sectarianism and discuss their biased views.

Go to your uni library and search for info in there. You will easily get stuff on the net, but ensure that it is reliable content by looking at who runs the site and who posted the info. Check it is backed up by proper stats etc.
    Ooooh actually. A good one would be freaky religions that operate on the internet. That way you wouldn't need to conduct any research except on the net and you are looking at it from a new media angle which should interest your classmates, whilst impressing your lecturers.
    I miss uni....:(
    Thankyou your suggestions have made me want to crack on and do this project even more. But I think I will eat dinner first.

I am from the South I think its called the midlands.

What freaky religions are you talking about?
    Just daft cults that are promoted on th net. I don't know any off hand, but it the perfect recruitment tool for loads of bizarre cults.
    Thanks hunnypot and Loved Up for replying. I would love to have more replies from people but perhaps religion and media don't go down too well on this site.