Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Music and Lyrics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Music or lyrics... which one is more important to you in a song?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's a tough one!

I guess it depends on the type of song, dance music then I think the music is more important as it has a beat to it and you need to be able to dance to it, but with slower songs the lyrics are good because you can quite often relate to them and I think the lyrics to some songs can be really beautiful no matter how shit the song itself is.
    Depends what mood I’m in. If I need to be chilled out it’s all about the Music

But other times I need to hear and feel the words, they need to make sense and I need to relate to them in some way.

It’s a tough one, but I’d say music is more important to me.
    Gotta be both. A song can have beautiful lyrics, but if the melody is rotten then you wont want to listen. likewise a great tune can have the dodgiest words and make you wanna cringe.
    it all depends, sometimes it even depends on the quaility of the singers voice. but most of the time i take it as a combination.
    Yeah, for me there has to be both for me to think of it as a good song.
    Both. Which is probably why I love Pumpkins, Pixies, Coldplay and Weezer so much.
    Both !! The mix of music and letter. :D
    I think it would be very difficult to choose to be honest. A song needs good music, or the lyrics really don't matter at all. However, I can listen to some songs and really like them whilst thinking "these lyrics are stupid!"

I mainly listen to music where both is important, like Bad Religion for example, who have some serious messages in their lyrics (with songs such as Kyoto Now)
    musics more important than lyrics in my opinion, although obviously its better if both are good.
    A good example of a song saved by its lyrics is "4st 7lb" by the Manics. It's pretty clumsy musically, but the lyrics are incredible, so it makes it worthwhile.
    Both, but music probably slightly more. Sting- Shape of my Heart is probably one of the best examples with both :)
    Both make the perfect combination, obviously, and both are very important, but there are some songs out there that i like a lot which have either shite music or lyrics, because the other part makes up for it.