Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

my career choice - a cop out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to combine my yearning to teach with my yearning to boss people about (joke!).

After uni, where I am doing combined honours in social sciences, I want to do a PG diploma in careers guidance at a local uni, which will automatically lead to a job with the connexions service (careers service for young people in the NE). I have a guaranteed job that pays reasonably well.

However, my dad is totally mad at me, saying why go to uni for three ears to do a crap job like that etc etc. He has never been like that before. Other people are also a bit dubious, telling me that I am wasting my talents etc. Why can't they just accept what I want to do?

Does anyone else think I am totally copping out of a "real job" like my dad thinks? Is he right to say what he has? Does he have a right to say that?!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a good job. It does pay well and there are good career prospects in it. The world needs careers advisors and they do help a lot of people....although they've never been any good to me, but I'm still going to see a connexions advisor on Thursday..that'll be fun, bet she knows nothing about what I want to talk to her about. They always seem very good on job based things, just not on uni courses and prospects from them.

But don't let people tell you it's a waste of time. Things have changed a lot recently and they are importnant people in a young persons life and decision making on their future.
    I think it sounds like a good job which would be helping young people and would be rewarding for you.

I've been to see careers advisors and the GOOD ones really helped me, I appreciated it.

You don't have to stay in the same career forever either, you can change and something like that would be excellent experience for all kinds of jobs with people.

I don't think your Dad should put you down like that. I know how it is, sometimes my Mum makes comments about me dropping out of uni last year to go somewhere else, but I sat down and explained that it was what I wanted to do and now she accepts it.

Maybe find out more information and show it to your Dad so he can get a better idea of what it is all about?

In these days when many graduates end up working in call centres your ambitions sounds very sensible to me!
    I think its a great idea!