Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Will it never end?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Some of you may know that just after New Year we had our car stolen and written off. In the process the little scrote who was driving it smashed it into some other cars.

Well now we have had a solicitor`s letter from the owner of one of those cars, wanting insurance details and everything... what does it all mean?? How the hell can we be liable for that???! :eek2: :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dont really know much about insurance, or cars so im not much help, but if you repeorted your car stolen before they crashed it into another car then you can prove it wasnt you and there for you wont have to pay (i think)

*hugs*:)
    thats really quite shit. :(
    I wouldnt have thought you were liable, as its the person driving the car that is, not the owner.
    When you insure a 'car' youre insuring it against theft, and damage whilst in your possesion, I would think as soon as it is out of your (or any named driver's) possesion your insurance liability ends.
    Have you got details of the person that stole your car? Or have your insurance company? If so pass them on to this solicitor and let them sue his arse off.
    Dont give them your insurance details whatever you do or they'll try and make a claim against you.
    Well, we reported the car stolen within 5 minutes, and these people know the car was stolen, but still they send solicitors letters.... :confused:

We`re going to get legal advice before we do anything, don`t worry.
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Well, we reported the car stolen within 5 minutes, and these people know the car was stolen, but still they send solicitors letters.... :confused:

We`re going to get legal advice before we do anything, don`t worry.

Probably easier for them to try get the money off you, than take the cretin that stole your car to court to make him pay out.
    Good luck, I hope it works out.:)
    Seems to me you're not liable, but IANAL.

It'd be like someone breaking into your house, stealing your toaster, using it to electricute someone in the bath, and you then being sent to prison for it because it was your toaster.

Or something.
    Originally posted by Mist
    It'd be like someone breaking into your house, stealing your toaster, using it to electricute someone in the bath, and you then being sent to prison for it because it was your toaster.

Or something.

I`m sure that`s happened in America.......
    :lol::lol::lol:
    only in america!!!!
    *could be REALLY wrong*

insurance on your car covers damage to a third party. but only if you or a named driver is driving it at the time.

surely if it's stolen THEIR insurance company would have to pay out for repairs?

citizen's advice bureau. or try looking it up online...