Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Firewalls & chat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

Wondering if you could help me out here... I mainly use the computers here at uni (only til september though!) and as you would imagine they've got a pretty good firewall up here.

What I need is to know of any decent live chat sites where I could talk to someone eg my boyf, in a similar style to IRC. obviously cant use IRC or MSN because I cant download them due to the firewall. Have tried various places, but keep coming up with blanks. In a lot of the sites (like Jolt) I can dowload the applet, but it keeps failing to connect to the server.

I know it's possible, coz I've seen one or two people chatting away here at uni - didnt want to be nosey and ask, else they'd know I was staring at their computer screens! :p

Help anyone?

(I'd be eternally grateful ;) )

Comments

• Options
    It seems you just need a Java based chat room. Simple as that. There are thousands of them out there, so finding one that you like shouldn't be a problem. What you will need though is one that allows private chats (just about all of them allow this. A couple I can think of off the top of my head are Freeserve and Channel 4. But as I said, there are thousands out there.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Thanx Mr_Wobble! :D:D:D

Using Lycos now, it's the one that's working best for me. :)