Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Buying Rings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have always wondered about this.

How do you go about buying a ring for your partner as a gift (or even as a wedding proposal) when its meant to be a surprise but you don't know their ring size?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try gently slipping one finger into their ring and gage the size from there ? Then when you go to the shop you will have an idea.

:lol: :crazyeyes :p
    borrow a ring from them that they don't wear that often that way you get the ring siz e from that and hopefully they'll be none the wiser (just remember to put said ring back exactly where you found it when you no longer need it)
    well if she wanted a ring shed drop the hints n tell you her size...

or rather than worrying about a ring give up and buy her a necklace :cool:
    Anyone else?
    Use the old carrot technique!

"borrow" a ring and push the carrot up into the ring until it can go no further and it makes an indent.

Take said carrot to jewellers.
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin

hehe the thought of a bloke wandering into the jewellers with a carrot made me laugh!! Bloody good idea though!
    Just put one of her rings on your finger, see which finger of yours it fits onto, and then when buying the ring you know which finger it needs to fit of your to measure it, and if your rong then i suppose she wont mind if you take it back and get the proper size, and youll hvae it for future reference:D
    You could draw a circle on a piece of paper, using the inside of a ring that she wears, then a ring that fits the circle will fit the finger? Thats how they do mail order sizing.
    Remember though that different styles of rings fit differently, the wider the band the bigger the size needed, Most jewlers will size a ring after purchase for you anyway.
    So...do I sense a proposal in the offing?? Good luck if you are planning on doing so.:)
    Is there something you're not telling us Sir Cum ;)
    if shes got quite a few rings nick one and take it down the jewellers and tell them you want a ring the same size.

if she aint got a lot of rings wait till she takes one off or somethin, then take it down the jewellers etc and put it back where shell find it so she thinks she must have misplaced it.

if shes the type to call the police over missin things you might wanna grab yourself a carrot...
    If you do go with the carrot idea, be careful how you phrase it to the shop assistant. "I shoved this carrot up my girlfriends rin......" may see you slapped or kicked out the shop. Worst still arrested by the vegetable police. :eek:
    If you do go with the carrot idea, be careful how you phrase it to the shop assistant. "I shoved this carrot up my girlfriends rin......" may see you slapped or kicked out the shop. Worst still arrested by the vegetable police. :eek:

:lol:
    lmao
    the most common way (really the only way i've ever heard of, and i worked in a jewlery store once too) is to just buy a ring in general size. get the correct ring and then just give it to her. after you purchace it and she owns it, she can take it into the jewler to have it sized.

simple and quick
    Originally posted by my_name
    the most common way (really the only way i've ever heard of, and i worked in a jewlery store once too) is to just buy a ring in general size. get the correct ring and then just give it to her. after you purchace it and she owns it, she can take it into the jewler to have it sized.

simple and quick

yup.

you could just tell the jeweller whether she has quite small hands or average, or big, and they will know around what size to give you.

after that you can get it sized.

it's not like she's going to be all 'no of course i won't marry you - you didn't know my EXACT ring size'. she won't care.

the borrowing ring idea is good, BUT you get girls like me who don't wear rings, or who don't wear rings on their ring finger.....
    Use the old carrot technique!

"borrow" a ring and push the carrot up into the ring until it can go no further and it makes an indent.

ifsome one came in to my shop and did that i would just eat the carrot and send them away:lol::lol: but then again im a bitch to the custermers!!
    Originally posted by legal junkie

you could just tell the jeweller whether she has quite small hands or average, or big, and they will know around what size to give you.

yea we aint phycic(sp) were gonna need a bit of help bring one of her rings in on women the weddingring finger is round about the same size as the ring finger on the right hand
    if anyone ever does this for me they'll have a problem.

the only ring i own is one that fits my right middle finger. and it never comes off. ever.