Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

australia?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
whats it like?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: australia?
    Originally posted by natash
    whats it like?

Another world ! warm/friendly/full of life/things to do/ more of an outside life/more opportunity/etc

the list goes on !
  • Options
    I might be going to Melbourne for sking this summer.
  • Options
    Melbourne to ski?...dosnt and wont happen in Melbourne...but u can go out to the mountains and then it still all fake snow
  • Options
    Australia seems to me to be very hot in places, the houses aren't that old and look like they've been thrown together. The only good thing about Australia is the Great Barrier Reef and I like the Aborigine culture. Shame none aborigines have stepped in and taken control now and is the country still run by our British Queen? cos if I'm right in thinking so what is the point? Great Britain's a long way from Australia.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    still run by our British Queen? cos if I'm right in thinking so what is the point? Great Britain's a long way from Australia.

Because Australia was a British colony. Canada still has the Queen as well, so do several other former British coloniesc. I guess it's more do to with tradition nowadays.
  • Options
    Stop being so offensive... we won't tolerate it
    Susie :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by falkna
    the queen has absolutely no say whatso ever in Australia

Hence her role being merely traditional.
  • Options
    What is the point of having a monarchy? I mean ours is practically german right? not GB through and through and theres no point of one in Aussie land.
  • Options
    it wont take long to get rid of, its just a few fools in government who are traditionalists and cant let go of the past....
  • Options
    Falkna I agree with you. We don't need one shall we go on a protest and tell them to get out?
  • Options
    yeh kick em out
  • Options
    Melbourne to ski?...dosnt and wont happen in Melbourne...but u can go out to the mountains and then it still all fake snow

Ahhh....bugger. I thought it didn't make sense. Australia = hot weather = snow. :crazyeyes

But we can't go to Singapore or Fiji so i think i'm stuck on the beach somewhere. If there's a beach in Melbourne...where is Melbourne anyway....*looks for map*...
  • Options
    ummm....your going to melbourne and dont know where it is?...its winter here soon and it wont be all that hot and you wouldnt want to be on a melbourne beach in winter....thats if you want to call it a beach....head to sydney if you want surf...head to melbourne if you want style...melbourne is definately NOT a surf city like the others...
  • Options
    ummm....your going to melbourne and dont know where it is?...its winter here soon and it wont be all that hot and you wouldnt want to be on a melbourne beach in winter....thats if you want to call it a beach....head to sydney if you want surf...head to melbourne if you want style...melbourne is definately NOT a surf city like the others...

Melbourne i thought was very "cosmopolitan" & funky but V. Small (as in the town & shops itself)

Where as Sydney was bigger but not so funky the people there were more like people in London rushing around & materialistic & expensive compared to other places

Thinking about it really I love Oz (although i am biased biend 1/2 oz & having family there) but its no more than a glorified Desert really about 80% or so must be uninhabitable !
  • Options
    I'm going out next year as I'm lucky enough to have relatives in Perth. I'd like to fly to Sydney first though and see that side of the country, then to Perth. Any one know of good, cheap companies to book with that will include an internal flight?
  • Options
    Originally posted by curly_girl
    I'm going out next year as I'm lucky enough to have relatives in Perth. I'd like to fly to Sydney first though and see that side of the country, then to Perth. Any one know of good, cheap companies to book with that will include an internal flight?

go with Austravel they are superb sorted all my flights out for a month !

I got a mail the other day from Quantas £499 return to Sydney with 1 free internal can be bad !

when you going ? im going back over (nxt yr) September for 6 weeks !
  • Options
    Umm, not sure exactly when but probably around Jan/Feb for about 2 months. That way there'll still be some heat left but I shouldn't die from the shock...in theory!
  • Options
    yeah jan/feb will still be hot ! its lurvely you wont wanna come back !

just got anoter mail too try sta travel they have good deals too for about £499 to sydney
  • Options
    This week we’re offering FREE accommodation, exclusive fares with British Airways and to top it all, you still have time to catch one of our fantastic ski deals to some of our fave resorts… go on, get outta here!

Berlin £39
    Paris £59
    Amsterdam £63
    Dublin £68
    Prague £74
    Barcelona £79
    Athens £107
    New York £179
    Auckland £469
    Sydney £499
    The small print
    Conditions apply - click here

We have recently upgraded our registration system to enable us to find out a little bit more about where you like to go and what you like to do when you get there. Plus - if you upgrade before 20 April 2003 - you'll automatically be entered into the competition to WIN one of 5 £100 travel vouchers.

To update your profile - click here

There’s no such thing as a free lunch – but there is such a thing as a free night! Check out these fantastic deals when you stay in one of our selected hostels or hotels on multiple consecutive nights – you’ll rest easy as one of the nights will be on us!

Berlin Holiday City Centre East - 3 Globes
    £70pp for 3 nights - Save £30
    Travel period: 01 Jul - 30 Aug '03

Brussels Art Hotel Siru - 3 Globes
    £74pp for 3 nights - Save £37
    Travel period: 2 Jul - 29 Aug '03

Melbourne Ibis - 3 Globes
    £48pp for 3 nights. - Save £24
    Travel period: until 30 Sep '03

Montreal HI Montreal Hostel
    £24pp for 3 nights. - Save £12
    Travel period: until 30 Apr '03

Toronto Bond Palace - 2 Globes
    £51pp for 3 nights - Save £25.50
    Travel period: until 31 April and 01 Nov - 31 Dec '03

Amsterdam Tulip Inn City West - 3 Globes
    £108pp for 4 nights – Save £36
    Travel period: 01 Jul - 31 Jul '03

Florence Patrizia Hotel - 2 Globes
    £69pp for 4 nights – Save £23
    Travel Period: 15 Jul - 31 Aug '03

Lisbon Hotel da Torre – 2.5 Globes
    £79.50pp for 4 nights - Save £26.50
    Travel period: 01 Jul - 31 Aug '03

Naples Europeo - 1.5 Globes
    £69pp for 4 nights - Save £23
    Travel period: until 30 Dec '03

Paris: Little Hotel – 1.5 Globes
    £57pp for 4 nights - Save £19

Prague: Atlantic – 3 Globes
    £72pp for 4 nights - Save £24

Sydney Sullivans Sydney - 2 Globes
    £75pp for 4 nights - Save £25
    Travel period: 01 May - 31 Aug '03

Venice Pantalon - 3 Globes
    £105pp for 4 nights - Save £35

We have got together with our friends at British Airways to offer you some tasty little fares to destinations all over the world. Plus you can travel from 20 April - 15 June 2003, so book ahead now and potentially save a fortune! There are loads to choose from, but here’s just a few to get you started. For additional fares available in this promotion – click here

London rtn to:
    Brussels fr £59 Pisa fr £79
    Barcelona fr £89 Prague fr £95
    Rome fr £105 Athens fr £109
    Manchester rtn to:
    Zurich fr £85 Bologna fr £99
    Vienna fr £109 .
    Birmingham rtn to:
    Paris fr £75 Frankfurt fr £79
    Madrid fr £95 .

London rtn to:
    New York fr £185 Cairo fr £215
    Miami fr £229 San Fran fr £229
    Vancouver fr £315 Nairboi fr £429
    Mexico fr £465 Cape Town fr £479
    Buenos Aires fr £485 Rio fr £499
    Manchester rtn to:
    New York fr £185 .

The small print:
    Fares are valid for Students under 35yrs, and non-students under 26yrs. Travel to all destinations is valid outwards from the UK 20 April – 15 June 03. There is no minimum stay, and the maximum stay is 1 month. Regional UK flights to London are available from £50 return. All fares must be booked by 15 May 03. *£10 booking fee applies on European fares.

It’s spring, and we’re just beginning to warm up – but to make things really hot, why not take advantage of these European escapes with BMI. After all…why wait until summer when we’ve got these fantastic deals to go for right now?

Destination Price Destination Price
    Paris fr £61 rtn Amsterdam fr £63 rtn
    Nice fr £68 rtn Milan fr £73 rtn
    Alicante fr £74 rtn Venice fr £74 rtn
    Palma fr £82 rtn Madrid fr £82 rtn

The small print:
    Fares are Open to All. Minimum Stay is Sat night, maximum is 12 months. Travel is valid 11April until 17December, no travel 01 July – 31August03. Valid selected flights only. All fares must be booked by 19May 2003. All European fares are subject to a £10 booking fee.

There’s still some fresh snow to play in – and it’s still not too late to grab your mates and head off to one of our many European resorts for a spot of down hill activity! Here are a few of our favourites… hot off the press.
    Date Destination Accommodation Price
    19/04 Alpe d'Huez Double (H/B) £209
    19/04 Courchevel Double (H/B) £229
    19/04 Val D'Isere Double (H/B) £265
    19/04 Verbier Double (H/B) £279
    19/04 Whistler Double (H/B) £679

We are offering loads of fantastic last minute package holidays to some of your favourite destinations. Here’s a taster of what’s hot right now!

7 night Hot Package in Ibiza from £219* (Airtours)
    Price includes: flight and accommodation in self catering apartments. Accommodation allocated on arrival.
    Departure date: 20/04/03
    7 night Hot Package in Morocco from £219* (Airtours)
    Price includes: flight and accommodation in self catering apartments. Accommodation in Anemi Apartments (3 star).

7 night Hot Package in Portugal from £259* (First Choice/Unijet)
    Price includes: flight and accommodation in self catering apartments. Accommodation allocated on arrival.

The small print
    *The price is based on a maximum room occupancy and may not include flight supplements.

this is the mail i just got - all the picture bits it wont cut/copy/paste
  • Options
    MykeMyke Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    There is real snow in Australia

I was there last Summer, and if it wasn't for lack of cash I would have gone ski-ing.

I spent 3 months in the Australian winter (June, July, August) and it's not all bikinis and swimming shorts. The South Coast gets bloody chilly!

Real snow: http://www.goski.com/1aus.htm
  • Options
    i live on the east coast, i'm soo cold at the moment, it isn't even winter yet. But yeah the best time to come to oz is spring, in my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    falkna: its no wonder the Aborigines are all alcoholics with the way theyve been treated- having your kids forcibly taken from you isnt gonna do the mental health any good. Maybe Oz will become better when the Aborigines dont have to get over racist diatribe like that first. Though Ill admit itll be a while yet, if Sydneys Western suburbs are anything to go by.

Anyway, winter in Melbourne is like a warmer version of Manchester- windy and rainy. Melbourne itself wont be snowy, it only is once every blue moon, but the Blue Mountains and the Great Dividing Range are alright for snow, generally. It can tend to be fake snow, created by snow machines, but hell, you get that in Val d'Isere.

Melbourne is no longer rushing about like London, but its no small place. Shopping wise its easily as good as Sydney, and it ahs the advantage of not having to deal with yuppie Sydneysiders. The scenery is better too, get down the Mornington Peninsula to Sorrento and the national park, you wont regret it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kally
    i live on the east coast, i'm soo cold at the moment, it isn't even winter yet. But yeah the best time to come to oz is spring, in my opinion anyway.

yeah, it is...for thsoe on a budget though, the best air fares are found in February and early March.
  • Options
    quote deleted

there are no words for how wrong this is!
    grow up