Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

is it sexist to make men wear a tie to work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Job Centre (I think) is claiming that forcing a man to wear a tie to work is sexist, because there are no similar dress rules for women?

but what about rules about wearing skirts/trousers, length of skirt, hair tied back, low heel shoes etc etc..... i would argue there are many more dress rules for women than for men.

and what's so wrong with wearing a tie, it shows you've made an effort to get dressed in the morning at least...

what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I think work dress code should be smart, but i think some jobs would be made even more uncomfortable if i had to wear a tie. I dress in trowsers and a shirt, and if they dont like it, they can kiss my ass!
  • Options
    of course its not sexist, thats really stupid, its just a uniform and seeing as men and women have different bodies then of course they should wear different uniforms!

i cant believe people (job centa) could be bothered to moan about that, if you have to wear a uniform, it really doesnt make any difference what it is!

For my uniform i have to wear tartan trousers with red, blue, green and yellow in them, and a yellow blouse thats about three sizes too big, now THATS wrong, perhaps the Job Centre should spend their time complainin abt that instead!
  • Options
    try wearing the boots uniform! :mad:
  • Options
    Hehe i've turned down some jobs cos i dont like their uniforms :o I'm vain like that!

I think it should just stay as it is. If the code is smart, then a tie has the desired effect.
  • Options
    To answer your question, No I don’t think it to be sexist for men to wear ties and for girls not to

Although, I have seen some girls wearing ties where I work, and it does look sexy. I’ve got to wear a tie for my work but I don’t mind it

Doesn’t bother me.
    :p
  • Options
    Maybe it is...hmm...never thought about it.

I don't like dress codes.
    I'd do the same work whether I was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt or a suit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Hehe i've turned down some jobs cos i dont like their uniforms :o I'm vain like that!

haha i've dun the same.

and no it isnt, if they wanted me to wear a tie i wud :)
  • Options
    No it isn't sexist.

I used to wear a tie to work, but the uniform changed. It was no big deal.

I don't think a firm is sexist at all in asking its employees to wear certain things. However, I do think women should be allowed to wear trousers if they want to becaise it is bloody cold!
  • Options
    Technically it's sexist, as guys have to, and girls don't.

But then, who really gives a shit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Technically it's sexist, as guys have to, and girls don't.

But then, who really gives a shit?

Couldn't agree more.

The whole thing's ridiculous - ok, so women don't have to wear ties but face it - decrying sexism can go FAR too far.

Men. And. Women. Are. Different. We look smarter in different things, plus it's just a tradition that men wear suits in the workplace - most women wear suits in smart offices as well so I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

..plus men look gooood in suits ;)
  • Options
    Re: Re: is it sexist to make men wear a tie to work?
    Originally posted by J
    A proffesional image is important.

And that's the nail being hit on the head there I think .... :yes:

It is all a question of image around the work place and the sort of impression that's trying to be put across .....
    We've got a fairly relaxed dress code where I work but you've got to have some standards otherwise people'd be turning up to work in all sorts of weird stuff as it'd be acceptable by their own personal standards ....