Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Lib Dems to overtake the Tories!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think 43% of who voted and not the total electorate.
  • Options
    I would be very surprised if it was 43% of the total electorate (i.e. all those eligible to vote). Frankly, these days I wouldn't be entirely surprised if no more than 43% of the electorate bothered to vote at all.
  • Options
    It was onkly 25% of the electorate at the last election that voted for Labour.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    It was onkly 25% of the electorate at the last election that voted for Labour.....

And yet, from the majority they have, you'd have thought it was more like 60%... oh how I love our system of government.

Still, mustn't be too harsh about the system, I suppose. After all "Democracy is the worst form of government known to man. Except for all the other ones."
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

Strong governments must be preferable over PR and coalition governments.

Do people realise that if there ever were a pure PR system the Liberal Democrats might perpetually be in government?

Not IN government as such, they just hold the swing position which would make them powerful but not overly so as the larger parties would still be largely making the bills and the Lib Dems as their coalition partners would only have a small say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Darth Fred
    I would be very surprised if it was 43% of the total electorate (i.e. all those eligible to vote). Frankly, these days I wouldn't be entirely surprised if no more than 43% of the electorate bothered to vote at all.

The turnout was around 70% I believe and around 40% of them voted labour.

The dis advantage of our current system is that it is geared very strongly towards the ruling party as if you look at the statistics nationally - it would take something like triple the number of votes in one constitcuency to get a new MP. Support for parties such as the Lib Dems is spread across the country more or less evenly rather than concentrated like the big two. Thus they are perpetually disadvantaged.

*edited to clarify stuff*
  • Options
    So effectively around 30% of people eligible to vote voted labour.
  • Options
    www.electoral-reform.org.uk
    For info on PR FPTP etc and an iteresting compromise they've sugested - the STV
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

Not IN government as such, they just hold the swing position which would make them powerful but not overly so as the larger parties would still be largely making the bills and the Lib Dems as their coalition partners would only have a small say.

That not entirely true. The Lib Dems would have some places in a Cabinet and would influence SOME governmental policy.