Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would a united front have prevented war?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If the West had gone to Saddam and said you have a month to show us the weapons we know you had or the place where you blew them up OR at the end of that month we will be at war with you, would he have cooperated?

Comments

• Options
    Nope.

Well, I doubt it, he didn't listen last time.

In 1990 he was told that he had until January '91 to leave Kuwait....
  • Options
    It's also probably not a valid question because in democracies there's always so many opinions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    It's also probably not a valid question because in democracies there's always so many opinions.

There are many opinions in one party states too. They just aren't voiced.
  • Options
    Also hard to have a show of hands when the state cuts them off if you disagree.
  • Options
    Saddam hinks like a gangster - he ducks, dives and weaves but once he knows the games up he will get out i'm sure. Unlike North Korea where you have an addled alcoholic religious cult leader who would be willing to unleash M.A.D.
  • Options
    Yeah, what angered me is how he tried to use the peace rally to demonstrate that the world is behind Iraq. The headlines in Iraq read: an Iraqi Victory.

Also France is behind the scenes telling him that they won't allow the UN to pass any resolution for war.
  • Options
    Also France is behind the scenes telling him that they won't allow the UN to pass any resolution for war.

But do you know why? Saddam Husein is Charles Chirac. Think about it... put a black wig and a false moustache on Chirac and bingo! I'm surprised people haven't realised it yet.

• Options
    Yeah, what angered me is how he tried to use the peace rally to demonstrate that the world is behind Iraq. The headlines in Iraq read: an Iraqi Victory.

I don't think the french are quite that much in bed with him! They want his oil sure... but so does everyone else! (Us, UK etc etc) The French are against War on Iraq, Not Saddams ally!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Saddam hinks like a gangster -

Mind coming up with any evidence to illustrate that?
  • Options
  • Options
    Good link Greenhat. I see similarities between Bin Laden's perception that America won't do anything...is afraid to commit troops... and Iraq's arrogance. France and Germany gave him hope that the resolution could continued to be ignored.

From today's news:

Also in the interview, Saddam belittled an order from chief weapons inspector Hans Blix to begin destroying the Al Samoud 2 system by the end of the week.

"Iraq is allowed to prepare proper missiles and we are committed to that," the network quoted Saddam as saying.