Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Garage?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I like my Garage music :D

Whenever someone asks me what music i prefer and i say garage, 9 times out of 10 they disagree with me and look at me like im an idiot.

Why is this?

To me a good song needs to be catchy, have a good beat/bass and have vocals. To me that is garage music. Hmm.

Any thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Garage?
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Any thoughts?

Garage used to be very good, until the likes of So Solid Shite ruined it! Speed Garage was wicked :D

Unfortunately Garage is now a pile of poo! :p
  • Options
    I like how people assume So Solid etc *are* garage.

Theres two types:

What is classed as "Gangsta Garage" (So Solid etc)
    and "Two Step" (Artful Dodger type thingy) This was the original garage.

I like both kinds so i like garage.

I just dont understand how people slag down garage, when there not even considering the whole genre, just bits of it!
  • Options
    Gangsta's? So Solid? :lol:

Anyway, I said "the likes of So Solid", I know there's more to garage than just them but they're all shite and overplayed!

Artful Dodger are alright, but still not as good as the orginal Speed Garage. :p
  • Options
    I think garage music is absolute shite :p
  • Options
    Artful Dodger, Dreem Teem etc. are good, as is speed garage :p

So Solid are gangsta wannabes. They're shite and I hope they die.
  • Options
    Artful Dodger were good, I'll give you that!

The rest... no no no no nooooo - it's just wrong!

OMG, I met DJ Luck and MC Neat in Spain last year, they were playing in some club... OMG They're absolute wankers - and their music was shite and all.

Garage music on the whole - shite :p
  • Options
    I don't know what you mean with "gangsta garage".
    Anyway, I do like 2step.
  • Options
    well I like all garage music!
  • Options
    Garage was around way before Artful Dodger though, who produced fairly lame music really.
  • Options
    There is no debate, garage is for the weak.
  • Options
    Garage used to be heavy but it seems to of gone back underground now, and most of the songs just sound the same! As for So Solid I don't know where they have gone but I think they're heavy! :yes:
  • Options
    I think Garage was meant to be underground. It got postive feedback underground, as soon as it got in the charts etc it got negative. I think they should leave garage to the garage lovers :D
  • Options
    I like garage a lot aswell. I used to be a huge fan of garage but have kinda gone off it a bit cos i prefer R 'n' B. Its more vocal. But i still love garage and have loads of garage albums. I get the same as you though Lacy May, people giving funny looks when i say i like garage.
  • Options
    Personally I think it's bollocks, but thats because it's not to my liking.
  • Options
    Gansta Garage?? First time i've heard that term.

Anyway, I've been listening to garage since about 98, and I have to say that as much as i love the genre its all gone a bit crap in the last year or two. Back in 99/2000 it was good, loads of great new tunes every week. Clubbing-wise garage was much better too, didnt get as much attitude.

Garage has a bad name now because it has artists like So Solid associated with it which attract annoying polyester-clad teenieboppers, which generally anyone over 16 dispises. The style has changed a fair bit too, its a lot more 'pop' than it used to be. Garage music used to be all about bass, anyone remember Lost in Vegas, Stone Cold, Gunman etc?

Haven't really heard any tunes within the last few months that are worth mentioning, all tunes seem to be one of two kinds:

1) 2 step beat with pop bolted on
    2) Loads of crap MCs over a crap beat (a la wiley/dizzy rascal etc)

I hate the bloody rudeboy wannabe slang associated with the genre now too, words like 'heavy' etc.

Garage is dead :(
  • Options
    Garage used to be ok when the 1st time it was properly commercial..Now it think it's hite..Altho there 1 or 2 half decent tunes about...

Dnb is best. :p..Alnong with some REAL Trance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    There is no debate, garage is for the weak.

*agrees*

House is where you keep all your valuables and garage is where the rest of the crap you dont want goes!

:lol:
  • Options
    i dont like garage but i appreciate that others do
    in my opinion drum and bass / jungle and garage are underground and they should stay underground.

the problem only starts when you get the people who come into the scene for trouble. the whole gangsta thing is whats gave good music a bad vibe and its what will ultimately kill it.

dunno about garage but i know it happened last time jungle went commercial.

music is underground---> gets more popular---> nobs come in---> bad vibe brews---> music dies through bad vibes, publicity and rep---> music turns underground....

if there's any fassies here just remember every time you act like a "gangsta" you're killin the vibe.
    also remember that if you were to meet a real life gangsta, they'd probably blow the back of your skull out and laugh at you when you try to jump them for entering your street corner turf. then they'd go listen to rock or classical or something.