Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Iran becoming a nuclear power?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&ncid=716&e=12&u=/nm/20030220/ts_nm/iran_usa_nuclear_dc

Isreal already said it wouldnot allow the nuclear power plant Russia, the North Koreans and China are building to come online.

Comments

• Options
    And you think Saddam is a threat to middle East peace? lol.

Seems Israel has no qualms about attacking any neighbour it pleases. So when can we lead a coalition of the willing to disarm Sharon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    And you think Saddam is a threat to middle East peace? lol.

I guess that depends on the capability of the reactor...
  • Options
    I was referring to Israel my friend.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I was referring to Israel my friend.

I know. ;)

Doesn't mean I was...
  • Options
    Iran said they'd allow UN inspectors to come in. Here we go again.:eek2:
  • Options
    Actually no pnj. Iran is not under obligation to UN resolutions and there is no reason why you least of all should be throwing about unwarranted accusations or allegations.
  • Options
    Iran said that as a positive thing. In other words, a "we have nothing to hide" kinda thing.
  • Options
    Iran, or at least part of the power group in Iran, are trying hard to get on the good side of the US, UN, EU, etc. I'd have a tendency to give them the benefit of the doubt. We have nothing to indicate that they don't mean what they say (unlike both Iraq and North Korea, who we {US and UN} have a long history of dealing with).

Some things to consider.

1. Iran has moved Iraqi dissident elements that have trained and equipped in Iran into Northern Iraq, supposedly to protect the border of Iran from Iraqi elements. That helps the total effort against Saddam. If they intend to do something more, there is a good place for it to be identified/illustrated. If they do what they've said, fine.

2. A nuclear plant isn't the same as warheads. Most plants don't have the ability to manufacture weapons grade material, and it would be pretty evident to any competent inspector if the design was able to do so or not. If it is, that brings up a seperate question to be dealt with at that point. Might even be as simple as helping them redesign the plant so it is NOT capable of producing weapons grade material.

I know, I'm really shooting my reputation as a war-mongerer in the foot here...
  • Options
    Funnily enough Greeny I agree with you, so that's both of us losing part of our warhead reputations.

They are being upfront about things and I certainly think that their recent moves have been in the right direction. There are still a few issues to be sorted out with them, but one the whole they seem to be heading back towards moderacy.

If the UN inspectors are happy when they get in, that's enough for me. Interesting to see that they are being invited too...
  • Options
    Iran has been trying to modernise for quite a while. There seems to be a constant battle between the modernisers and the radical clerics (who unfortunately still hold many positions of power and keep using religious laws as their weapon of control). But judging by the news that reach us there seem to be a majority of secular, or at least religious moderate younger generation as well as many in parliament pushing for modernisation against the hardliners. There have been student revolts and demos in the last few years and it seems that a majority want change.
  • Options
    Darn it, Aladdin! I agree with you AGAIN!
  • Options
    The UN's top inspector of nuclear sites/weapons is going to tour the facility.

Extremists seem to still be in charge in Iran. They made shop owners etc. take down Valentine hearts etc. in their windows.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The UN's top inspector of nuclear sites/weapons is going to tour the facility.

Extremists seem to still be in charge in Iran. They made shop owners etc. take down Valentine hearts etc. in their windows.

Interesting to see what you see as extremists. So, what were the people who forced the US flag to be removed from fire-engines in a particular city?

How about the folks who got Xmas decorations that had a Christian theme removed from certain schools in the US?

What about those people who got all publicly visible indications of Wiccan beliefs removed from another area?

And if all of them are "extremists", what do you consider Pol Pot and the Khymer Rouge to have been?
  • Options
    It would be a very good idea for Iran to invest in nuclear weapons and long range missle technology at this point - especially in light of the U.S. troops within striking distance of Iran. Obviously it is paying off big time for North Korea to invest in such weapons. Bush has let it be known that developing WMD pays dividends.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    Obviously it is paying off big time for North Korea to invest in such weapons. Bush has let it be known that developing WMD pays dividends.

Oh, yeah. North Korea is starving, Kim hasn't managed to actually get anything out of anyone, and the Japanese are developing additional assets to deal with North Korea. Big pay off... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh, yeah. North Korea is starving, Kim hasn't managed to actually get anything out of anyone, and the Japanese are developing additional assets to deal with North Korea. Big pay off...

Oh really? GG

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2789303.stm

During his Asian tour, Mr Powell is expected to announce that Washington will resume food aid North Korea, which is suffering massive shortages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

Oh really? GG

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2789303.stm

During his Asian tour, Mr Powell is expected to announce that Washington will resume food aid North Korea, which is suffering massive shortages.

"expected"

You do jump to conclusions, don't you?
  • Options
    Iran is also going out of its' way to comply with the UN; inviting them in to inspect plants. Perhaps they are all too aware of the state of the US thinking, and having been branded as an axis of evil, they don't want to piss them off.

A good lesson for Iraq, perhaps? The fear of the sword of Damocles teaches some...
  • Options
    I agree DJP but I see that as a side benefit of the UK and US risking lives to fight this whole terrorism mess. Let countries supporting terrorism be afraid. Meantime, Sharon agreed to the people joining his coalition government to talks about a free Palestine.

I see some of this as a good development. Also within the US, they picked up 8 people who've been fund-raising in the US for Hezbollah. That must have shaken the radicals in Iran too.
  • Options
    Iran is also going out of its' way to comply with the UN; inviting them in to inspect plants.

The UN has no legitimacy whatsoever. It is madness for the Iraqis to "disarm" and abide by "UN Resolution." Israel and America totally ignore the UN. Why should anyone else take it seriously?
  • Options
    Heyrich, you're about to learn why. :naughty: