Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What the Sun said to the French.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Greetings to the citizens of Paris from The Sun newspaper, which is read by ten million people every day.

We think your President, Jacques Chirac, is a disgrace to Europe by constantly threatening to veto military action to enforce the will of the United Nations against Iraq.

We think it is all the more hypocritical because the world knows that eventually President Chirac will agree to support the UN, America and Great Britain.

British people feel M Chirac, who in the UK is nicknamed the 'worm', is arrogantly strutting about trying to make France seem more important in the world than it really is.

The truth is that all the world - including France - recognises that Saddam Hussein must be dealt with. But only the French President seems determined to frustrate the will of the international community.

When Saddam Hussein has gone, people in Britain and the rest of Europe will look at France and ask themselves whether France is much of an ally any more. People will ask themselves why anyone should bother with what France and its leader say.

We also think in Britain that you in France have forgotten how much you owe to other nations, particularly America and Britain, for coming to your aid in two world wars.

You were glad enough to welcome the Americans when Hitler ruled France.

But now you sneer at the American people and their president, and forget how the war cemeteries of France are packed with American and British soldiers and sailors and airmen who laid down their lives so France could be free.

Today, the Americans - backed by other European nations

I couldn't get the rest. But my God. Too freak'n funny.
:D:D

Comments

• Options
    !!!!!!

Does the Sun think we are still in the 19th century?

'Great Britain'!

Bloody xenophobic stupid halfwits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    'Great Britain'!

Bloody xenophobic stupid halfwits.

Two things:

1. Why shouldn't they refer to Great Britain as Great Britain?

2. In what way is this article xenophobic?

I agree that The Sun is a rag, and often epouses views which are contrary to mine, but this article isn't too far off the mark. Show me one untruth there...
  • Options
    well techically they should be refering to it always as the United Kingdom, as our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If the Sun is claiming to be respresenting the general feeling of the UK, it should be including all its citizens...;)
  • Options
    The only reason that xenophobic, homophobic, racist piece of shite masquerading as a newspaper hasn't been closed long ago and its proprietor given a massive fine and/or jailed is because successive governments in this spineless country are only too happy to suck up to it and afraid to confront Rupert 'Satan' Murdoch just in case he asks his papers' readers not to vote for them.

Like I said in the other thread, had a French newspaper dared to publish an English language edition in the US calling Bush a retard or a moron, and France would be bracing itself for the biggest economic boycott ever seen (as the best case scenario).
  • Options
    Originally posted by JonBoi
    well techically they should be refering to it always as the United Kingdom, as our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If the Sun is claiming to be respresenting the general feeling of the UK, it should be including all its citizens...;)

Maybe he doesn't claim to represent the people in Northern Ireland?

:naughty:
  • Options
    wouldn't surprise me. The peace process seems to have taken a back seat these days....:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Like I said in the other thread, had a French newspaper dared to publish an English language edition in the US calling Bush a retard or a moron, and France would be bracing itself for the biggest economic boycott ever seen (as the best case scenario).

Didn't a Canadian minister do exactly that?
  • Options
    Wasn't he/she made to resign immediately?
  • Options
    The Sun is a horrible rag of a paper which esposes nasty views all the time and even though these views really shouldnt be given any attention what so ever the Sun is the most read paper in the UK.
    Now thats scarier than any war!
  • Options
    Ah the wonderful contribution of the corporate media towards the dumbing down of the Western world.
  • Options
    But Clandestine, it was funny.

The NY POST is like that too and Fox Network is like that also. Maybe that Rupert guy sets editorial policy in everything he owns?

About the Great Britian thing. But the UK is 80% English. according to my stats. Let me know if you'd like to see them. Does anyone else see the value of diversity AND also feel like it gets on your nerves?
  • Options
    I've been informed by a friend in NYC that Murdoch no longer owns the NY Post. Don't know if it is true or not, but if anyone is interested, might check...
  • Options
    They haven't told the editor ;)
  • Options
    He still owns it cause on the Fox Network when they quote a NY POST story, the have a tape that says as the newscaster is saying in a sarcastic way, "a newspaper owned by the parent company of the Fox Network."
  • Options
    Wasn't he/she made to resign immediately?

Yep.

We still all managed to have a good laugh at Bush's expense though. Must admit that I love the portrayal of him on ITVs 2dTV and the Radio 4 Deadringers show...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Two things:

1. Why shouldn't they refer to Great Britain as Great Britain?

2. In what way is this article xenophobic?

I agree that The Sun is a rag, and often epouses views which are contrary to mine, but this article isn't too far off the mark. Show me one untruth there...

That the sun claims to speak for all UK citizens? Leetle bit untrue?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    That the sun claims to speak for all UK citizens? Leetle bit untrue?

Did they? I must have misread that article.

I thought they only referred to 10m readership...
  • Options
    Anyway, they claimed Great Britain, not the UK...

;)

Fine
  • Options
    Thanks Greenie, that article was interesting.

So, it's illegal in France to insult the President?

It's a good job they aren't signatories of the European Human Rights act, otherwise someone might sue them for an infringement of their right to express an opinion... ;)
  • Options
    If similar laws existed in the US and UK, we'd all be paying fines... ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, just look at all those placards at the anti-war marches. Could have raised a few quid for the Treasury then... :)
  • Options
    The article is mistaken on the point about the French not used to publications which taunt politicians openly. Obviously they never read Le Canard Enchaine (The Chained Duck), its one of the most popular papers in Paris if not around the country and it consistenly ridicules the French political establishment and its politicians.
  • Options
    I thought it was illegal everywhere to insult anyone :confused:

Calling someone a 'worm' cannot be put in the same level as 'wanker' or 'cunt', but libel laws everywhere are there to prevent people being insulted/ridiculed past certain level.

I can only imagine the furore that would result from any 'Johnny Foreigner' paper doing a similar stunt in Britain or the US.

As for the "10 million readers", the Sun is doing the typical trick of counting anyone who skims through the paper on a building site while having a tea break after the owner of the paper has finished it with. Actual sales of the Sun are about 3.6 million, and of course it is only a proportion of the readership that supports the editorial line. Some people buy for the sport, some for the cartoon strips and some for the page 3 girls.

Hardly a majority of anything.
  • Options

Law in the US makes public figures open to just about anything.
  • Options

You can state an opinion about someone, but cannot claim it as fact. Basically, if I said I think that you are a worm then you cannot sue, if I had said that you are...
    As for the "10 million readers", the Sun is doing the typical trick of counting anyone who skims through the paper on a building site while having a tea break after the owner of the paper has finished it with. Actual sales of the Sun are about 3.6 million, and of course it is only a proportion of the readership that supports the editorial line. Some people buy for the sport, some for the cartoon strips and some for the page 3 girls.

Hardly a majority of anything.

The general rule of thumb is that for every purchase, three people read. Example of this is my house, we buy one paper but my son, my wife and I all read it...

Most papers will use this as a guide to their readership, but only The Scum would claim it as fact...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Most papers will use this as a guide to their readership, but only The Scum would claim it as fact...

I was going to say, I've never heard the Mail saying they have 7.5m readers, or the Guardian 1.5m- they tend to talk about certified sales. But then, the Sun might not like to quote actual sales of copy as they have lost nearly a million in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    But this was a great publicity stunt...for their paper and the Sun's readership. In fact, it was picked up on the news.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice emotional diatribe but even I as an American know full well that Bush didnt pick the best, he picked daddy's corrupt cronies. Including men once implicated in the Iran Contra affair during the Reagan Bush era. Moreover he listens to radical vehement zionists like Richard Perle who's own history is as dubious as they come.

Kudos for the attempt but this one man's opion's greenie doesnt excuse the arrogant self serving agendas we've seen eminating from Washington since Bush got in. The sooner he is tossed out the better for our country and the world.
  • Options
    Ah, the old world war chestnut.

France are indebted to us, but they dotn owe us anything. Just because something happened 60 years ago doesnt mean that its still relevant now- the French are a sovereign nation, so are in no obligation to fight at all.

NATO no longer has relevant jurisdiction, as was shown last time the US President decided to pick on Iraq for a few popularity points.