Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

MSN Messenger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
k,im hoping 1 or some of you lovely, lovely people can help little me.
Last week I noticed that the msn messenger icon was gone from my taskbar so I assumed some one deleted it.

I've tried re-downloading it 3times in the past hour and it says download complete etc.

But when i go to open it from the programme menu thingy it keeps saying:

The MSNMSGR.EXE file is linked to missing export OLEAUT32:314

Does anyone know what this means? :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have u tried lookin in ur start bar? click the windows button and look if it's in the programmes, or do a search for it
    Originally posted by Klever
    Have u tried lookin in ur start bar? click the windows button and look if it's in the programmes, or do a search for it

I've searched for that OLEAUT....blah blah thingy but cant find it. Is that what you mean?

I think I'll give up, gotta go to bed :( . Keep posting any ideas though please, I'll check them when I wake up :)
    Originally posted by Homer's Love Child

I've searched for that OLEAUT....blah blah thingy but cant find it. Is that what you mean?

I think I'll give up, gotta go to bed :( . Keep posting any ideas though please, I'll check them when I wake up :)

OLEAUT,
    wot's that?
    I meant u can search ur comp for the MSN programme
    You say you installed it again?? If you got it installed just uninstall it and then run "Scan Disk" then try installing again.
    go into My Computer, Program Files, then the MSN Messenger directory in there (C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger), the file you wanna load is 'msnmsgr'.

should work. If you've been opening it from Start ---> Programs ---> MSN Messenger, the shortcut stored in there might be wrong - which is why it doesnt load :)

Hope that helps :)
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    If all else fails just follow the Microsoft code : "Format and Reinstall". :D
    Originally posted by MattUK^
    go into My Computer, Program Files, then the MSN Messenger directory in there (C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger), the file you wanna load is 'msnmsgr'.

should work. If you've been opening it from Start ---> Programs ---> MSN Messenger, the shortcut stored in there might be wrong - which is why it doesnt load :)

Hope that helps :)

I've tried opening it that way but it keeps saying C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning

I've uninstalled and re-installed it loads of times and its still not working. Anyone got any ideas?
    Im getting annoyed now :( Wanted to tlk to my friend in New Zealand on it later
    you could always try going to www.mess.be and downloading an older version of MSN... maybe that'll work....
    do a 'thorough' scandisk. that might say you have some corrupted bits of your harddisk, and if so, fix it, and scandisk again regularly (every day or so) for a while (2-3 weeks max) to make sure that it isnt a major problem (ie that it doesnt happen again). If it does happen again, backup your data, you may need a new hard disk, or at least a reformat.
    Try this:

Click start > run > msmsgs > enter

If it don't work, you're screwed.
    This thread is a month old but i've dragged it up again because the same silly problem has happened again :( and i dont know how to fix it. I cant chat to anyone on msn now :( help, please
    Ok matey

Have you been to control panel and tried removing it completely?

I do know what thats talking about, the file missing is a DLL file. This is not good. In fact its really not good. Have you uninstalled anything recently?

If so it could have removed this DLL. If this is the case try reinstalling it. Leave a message if thats no good for you and ill look into seeing if I can help more. I think I could feasibly. lol we'll see

ME!
    Ooops the master of disaster missed something

to do it really simply look here

http://www.macros.com/oleaut.htm

Yes i KNOW that isn't what your trying to do but it IS the same file. Get the appropriate file from that page (I think any should do) and it probably will reinstall the Dynamic Link Library that you are missing and I am 90% sure that should work, let me know if it does

Yours

ME!
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    Ooops the master of disaster missed something

to do it really simply look here

http://www.macros.com/oleaut.htm

Yes i KNOW that isn't what your trying to do but it IS the same file. Get the appropriate file from that page (I think any should do) and it probably will reinstall the Dynamic Link Library that you are missing and I am 90% sure that should work, let me know if it does

Yours

ME!

Mwah! Mwah! Mwah!!!!!! :flirt:

Thank you sooooooo much!!! I downloaded one of those thingys from that site, restarted my computer, and hey presto, it works again!!! Thanx! I REALLY appreciate it! honest ;) (i still have no idea what was wrong though, lol)

I'll buy you a pint in thesite bar, k :)
    Thanx again,
    Lisa Simpson xxx
    Hey when it comes to techie stuff i the man!