Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Newspapers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looking for a more intellectual newspaper the other day, I bought a copy of the Times. my Dad's immediate reaction was "That's a bit posh, isn't it?"

There's no pleasing some folk!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Even though the Guardian is my paper of choice (shock horror! :p ) I do buy the Times sometimes, specially on Sundays when the different supplements make it a great read over a pint in the pub.

I very much dislike tabloids, although understand many people just buy it for a bit of light & entertaining news and the sport. Sadly most of them have agendas and will twist the truth and give every story whatever spin it needs until it serves the paper's philosophy.

For me the Great Satan is the Daily Mail. Arguably the most xenophobic, homophobic, racist piece of garbage published in the UK and probably Europe. Then again I know several people who buy it for the astrology or the weekend mags but don't care about the politics.
  • Options
    I normally buy the Sun on a Friday to read Jeremy Clarkson's column. Of the other newspapers I usually rate them by the cartoons. The Sun has hagar the horrible, the express has Dilbert and the Mail has Fred Bassett. these being my favourite cartoons, it is these papers I normally tend to buy when after the news.

The Mirror is filth and isn't good enough to wipe my arse on
  • Options
    i'm a Guardian girl. It's easy to read and I like the supplements. Especially the Education one. Although I haven't read it for a while as have been trying to improve my french and buying Le Monde instead.
  • Options
    I usually buy The Independent. I hate tabloids as they are too sensationalist. I mean, if the David Beckham/Sir Alex incident REALLY worthy of the front page?
  • Options
    I tend to read the financial times because of my Job but I also like the Guardian as they have a wide range of content.

I do tend to buy tabloids as well from time to time, as its a quick way of reading whats going on. The thing that annoys me about the tabloids is that you get the feeling you need to take everything with a pinch of salt. Particularly the Sun. I'm all for freedom of the press but the propaganda this paper comes out with is nothing short of unbelievable. How does Murdoch get away with this? Particularly because many of the readers are easily influenced. And the government is so afraid of this paper because of its capability to influence a huge number of voters in this country.
  • Options
    Every sunday I buy the Observer and the Mirror, although I don't buy tabloids during the week. I would get the Times if there was a story I wanted to read or if the Observer had sold out but I've been known to walk miles in search of the Observer (Some of the places I've lived in have shops that just don't do broadsheets which is just bizzare)
    I read the Guardian too...

One paper I just won't touch is the MAIL...a horrible piece of shit!
  • Options
    The headlines in the tabloids are so much fun.

I just became aware of the bias of newspapers this fall. I thought journalist just told the facts. I thought that was the whole value in having a free press.
  • Options
    But there are ways and ways of telling the news, like the choice of headlines given or the focus given to certain aspects of a story. The Daily Hatemail is a master of the art, producing such jewels such as "Terrorist suspects are asylum seekers", which makes as much sense as "Evil child rapist and murderer is Daily Mail reader". But of course you'll never see them publishing that headline. :rolleyes:

And newspapers will report the version of events they favour. For instance, pro-war papers like the Telegraph and the S*n gave attending figures for last week's march of 500,000 and 750,000 respectively. Anti-war papers like the Mirror said there were 2,000,000. The truth lies somewhere in between, in this case about 1.3 to 1.5 million I believe.

The S*n went on to say that even if 2 million had marched, 58 million hadn't. This reasoning is of course utter bollocks, but the best part is that when the pro fox hunting people marched a few months ago the same newspaper said that a historic 400,000 had marched and we could not ignore the voices of this people who clearly represented the voice of Middle England.

All newspapers have an agenda but tabloids are best avoided as they usually print only two truths each day: the date and the price. The rest is to be taken with a rather large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    I but the Guardian regularly but when I am at my parents my dad has the telegraph and I also sometimes but the Sun, Mirror, Independant or Mail to get a good idea of other opinions........
  • Options
    I sometimes buy the daily mirror and I read the times, the guardian and the observer when I go to my parents. The shops in my area only sell tabloids (I don't live in the classiest area) and I have been known to buy the NOTW on occasion for a bit of tacky reading on a boring Sunday. However, I was disgusted after reading it 2 Sundays ago and will NEVER EVER buy it again, it's complete shite.

The Daily Mail is shite and racist but I do like to read it sometimes because I enjoy reading something that makes my blood boil, I find it inspirational.
  • Options
    I think I'm becoming a Sun fan.

PARIS (Reuters) - The Sun has opened a new front in a war of words with France over Iraq by attacking Jacques Chirac on his own turf in an edition handed out free in Paris that depicted the president as a giant worm.

"Chirac Est Un Ver" (Chirac Is A Worm) blared the paper's special front-page headline in French above a photomontage of an earthworm bearing his head and crawling out of a map of France.

"We think your president, Jacques Chirac, is a disgrace to Europe by constantly threatening to veto military action to enforce the will of the United Nations in Iraq," the Sun said on the front page of the Paris version, written in French.

Chirac is resisting U.S. and British pressure for a war on Baghdad, irritating U.S. President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair but winning strong support from the overwhelming majority of his own electorate in France.

A government minister called the Sun's tone contemptuous, aggressive and vulgar. Another said he was more sad than angry.

Many French broadcasters adopted a tone of bemused familiarity with the "frog-bashing" antics of the British press. One called it a cheap publicity stunt, noting that the special edition was not actually for sale in the French capital.

Echoing a line used last week by U.S. tabloid the New York Post, also owned by media tycoon Rupert Murdoch, the Sun recalled the sacrifices British and American soldiers made for France in two world wars. The Post made waves in France with a front-page photograph of American war graves in Normandy.

"British people feel Mr Chirac...is arrogantly strutting about trying to make France seem more important in the world than it really is. Are you not ashamed of your president?" the Sun asked, calling Chirac a hypocrite because in the end, it speculated, he would back down and support military action.

"When Saddam Hussein has gone, people in Britain and the rest of Europe will look at France and ask themselves whether France is much of an ally any more. People will ask themselves why anyone should bother with what France and its leader say."

"DISGUSTING"

Asked about the article, Chirac's spokesman Catherine Colonna told reporters, "Insults often say more about the people who make them than about those they claim to describe."

At Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin's Matignon Palace offices, ministers in Chirac's conservative government were shown copies of the paper by curious French journalists.

"It's disgusting," said Transport Minister Gilles de Robien.

Jean-Jacques Aillagon, the culture minister, said: "It's aggressive, very disagreeable, pretty vulgar and shows contempt for our country...I'd say they've been very badly brought up."

Reactions were similar on the streets from Parisians shown the special edition.

"The press should be free, but this is pretty disgraceful. It's pro-war propaganda," said 30-year-old waiter Bruno Sterne.

"It's really sad, but it doesn't surprise me coming from the Sun. I am proud of the president and his government. The British, on the other hand, should be ashamed of Blair who is an opportunist and does not fully represent his party's ideals," said Laurence Baroini, 26, a photographer's assistant.

Best known for an obsession with celebrity sleaze and sex scandals, the Sun also has a history of French-bashing and in 1990 ran the famous headline "Up Yours Delors", slamming then European Commission head Jacques Delors, a Frenchman.

Several thousand copies, identical to the 3.5 million or so sold in Britain aside from the front page, were given out in Paris, said the Sun's Lorna Carmichael:

"We're handing them out in places like the Champs Elysees. We've been getting mixed reactions."
  • Options
    Now that doesnt surprise me in the slightest! :lol:
  • Options
    That was some gutzy move by the Sun. Although it does sound like a junky paper.
  • Options
    Now pnj, try to picture what would have happened if a French newspaper had published an English version for a day in America, and called Bush a retard, or a moron. What reaction could we have expected from the Americans? I think it's safe to say that trade sanctions would have been immediately imposed, at the very least. Probably followed by a massive boycott of all French products in general, and of the company that owns the newspaper in question in particular.

And of course, we would hear endless cries of how everyone hates the Americans and that the opposition to war in Iraq is motivated by France's hatred only. The French would be labelled 'traitors' and 'the enemy' for posterity.

Can you see now the hypocrisy of it all?

Remember that the S*n is owned by American citizen Rupert Murdoch (the owner of your beloved NY Post).
  • Options
    OMG he also owns the Fox Network that is very conservative. In fact, I was going to ask you this so I might as well ask you here. The Fox Network is extremely right wing conservative. Like we've never seen before in the US. Usually, the broadcasters tried to come off as impartial. Now, here's the question: is Fox influencing public opinion in America?

Democrats seem to thing so. In fact, they're starting a liberal radio network.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Remember that the S*n is owned by American citizen Rupert Murdoch (the owner of your beloved NY Post).

Also Australian citizen, since he was born there. And it isn't like Britain doesn't get some credit for him as well:

Murdoch
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Also Australian citizen, since he was born there. And it isn't like Britain doesn't get some credit for him as well:

Murdoch

He used to be an aussie citizen, but then renounced his citizenship so he could run his "empire" from the USA.
    In reality he is an opportunistic faggot, with less morals than a pimp daddy from the bronx.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

He used to be an aussie citizen, but then renounced his citizenship so he could run his "empire" from the USA.

Does Australia have laws that don't allow for someone to hold multiple citizenships? The US used to have such, but there were exceptions allowed. Finally got rid of that law altogether (a Clinton administration move, I believe) and Americans may hold other citizenships without endangering their American citizenship.
  • Options
    Don't know. Maybe he renounced of his Australian citizenship...

Despite being an Australian-born US citizen living abroad and operating much of his British empire offshore- and therefore cheating the UK out of tens of millions of Pounds in tax every year, the ultra-right wing god-bothering bigot still thinks he should run this county. :mad:
  • Options
    and while you are on the subject - Murdoch
  • Options
    Actually Greenie, that isnt exactly true. Americans may hold other nationalities as well depending on a range of conditions including, but not limited to:

meeting ancestral lineage requirements for third country nationalities;

Long term foreign residence in third countries;

and

Marriage to a foreign national;

in most cases the overriding factor is the condition that no second nationality be conditioned upon swearing allegiance to said flag or government.

Nevertheless, in most cases the only thing that is threatened is the loss of eligibility to serve as a US government employee (postal worker, civil servant, etc.). Since most people don't aspire to such jobs if they are inclined to live abroad, there's no real issue involved.
  • Options
    That was what I was referring to, Clandestine. That wasn't true until sometime early in Clinton's first term, I believe. Prior to that, with a few specific exceptions (Israel was one of those), people in that situation were required to renounce their US citizenship in order to hold another citizenship. A friend of mine had to renounce his US citizenship upon turning 18 because he chose to retain his German citizenship (born in Germany of a US father and German mother).

Oops, realized why the confusion. My post above had a "not" that didn't belong.
  • Options
    Yes your post makes more sense now.