Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Russia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok this should probably be in travel, but i'm trying to start an "intelligent" thread (and probably failing) and this is the only interesting thing going on in my life at the moment.

anybody ever been to russia? if someone offered you the chance to go would you? just for 2 weeks or for a whole 5 months? and would you go in the winter?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not sure that russia would be the first place i rush to through choice but having said that i like seeing cultural cities. and as for winter err its cold enough here at the moment are you mad?;)
    i think i must be. i'm flying out to moscow a week on friday, and will be there till the end of june. i'm really nervous about going, but everyone i tell about it says "wow, you're so lucky, i wish i could go"

so i just wondered if they were just saying that to be nice, or actually serious. i thought i'd try and find out what the general opinion of the country was on here.
    I've never really thought about Russia to be honest. :confused:

When somebody says Russia to me, I think dancing, St Petersburg, immense cold, models and vodka (:p). It seems like it would be a nice place to go :) Like ms ginger, I like cultural cities, so I think I'd like to go.
    at least they've got a range of vodka to warm you up if it gets too bad:D

actually if you were going to St Petersburg or moscow they're quite sought after locations but best of luck where ever your going. What you doing out there?
    I know of a club in Moscow I think it is. Once a week they have a, "female student nite" where girly students get free drink if they go arounf the club semi naked...Then it's open to the blokes from 9pm onwards..Fun
    Originally posted by Jay-O
    I know of a club in Moscow I think it is. Once a week they have a, "female student nite" where girly students get free drink if they go arounf the club semi naked...Then it's open to the blokes from 9pm onwards..Fun

tehe, might have to search that one out then ;) will let you know if i find it!

i'm going to be studying out there, doing translation and interpreting :crazyeyes and a dissertation.

trouble is though, i can't remember a word of russian!
    It's not on the top of my 'places to go' list! If someone gave me the chance to go I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't choose to go there. Hope you have a fab time though, you'll have to let us know what it's like! :)
    Id go. Not sure about for 5 months though! We considered going to St Petersburg for a week this summer but then looked at the prices :eek: :crazyeyes: So now were getting a little cottage on the coast somewhere... typical. :rolleyes:
    Koolcat, you've changed your AV, that's why I didn't recognise your posts, sorry! I would quite like to go to Russia, but I would probably end up running around in the snow, asking random strangers if 'they had papers blue fox?' in a slightly sinister mock-russian accent while adding -ski to the end of words... But it looks pretty cool. It would be interesting to see how it's coping so many years on after the cold war.
    I've been to Russia (Moscow and St Petersburg), went in April 2001, one of the best experiences of my life. :D
    ahh...Russia....never been there myself mind, but my Business studies teacher (bless him!) worked there for quite a while. managed to get him to talk about it for half the lesson..all he talked about was how he saw two people being shot, that police stopped cars and asked how many children you had and you had to pay a wage (otehrwise they would think of an excuse to take your car away), how he taught one of these mafia people about business and when he started talking about competeion they said 'we have no competeition......'

*laughs* I wonder if he takes drugs...but somehow......I think he actually may be telling the truth :eek:
    Originally posted by Pepsi_104
    ahh...Russia....never been there myself mind, but my Business studies teacher (bless him!) worked there for quite a while. managed to get him to talk about it for half the lesson..all he talked about was how he saw two people being shot, that police stopped cars and asked how many children you had and you had to pay a wage (otehrwise they would think of an excuse to take your car away), how he taught one of these mafia people about business and when he started talking about competeion they said 'we have no competeition......'

*laughs* I wonder if he takes drugs...but somehow......I think he actually may be telling the truth :eek:

ok, and now would anyone care to tell me some happy stories about russia. not that i'm scared or anything.

go_away, perhaps?? it can't all be bad out there.
    Every time I hear of Russia I'm immediately reminded of a article I once read about 3 young Russian girls (11, 12 & 14)who made a suicide pact and jumped off a roof together. There was a picture of them in their coffins - I don't think I'll ever forget it.

So that's my immediate association.

Given the oppurtunity, I would like to go, but only to visit I think. Just a few days - see the culture. This is all hearsay - it is probably an ok place to go, I just can't imagine spending a lot of time there. That said, I don't know an awful lot about the place.
    Originally posted by KoolCat

ok, and now would anyone care to tell me some happy stories about russia. not that i'm scared or anything.

go_away, perhaps?? it can't all be bad out there.
    Im sorry!!!!!!!
    if it helps he said he kept getting marriage proposals by all this woman........(and he had a wife at the time) probably cos when he went russia was in recession and he was like thsi rich western man (the only thing going for him I suppose........and he snot even that rich)
    Afraid that I can't tell you any nice stories about Russia as I've never been. However, I would chop off my right arm *needs left one for writing* to go in your place. I don't speak a word of Russian but after studying Eastern European history for a couple of years at Uni I would love to see a country with such an interesting background.

Out of interest is this the first time that you've been so far away from home for a prolonged period? And are you going alone or with someone else from your course?
    Re: Russia
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    anybody ever been to russia? if someone offered you the chance to go would you? just for 2 weeks or for a whole 5 months? and would you go in the winter?

nup i aint.

yeah i proberly would :D

5 months man, if i had the money obviously.

christ, no. :p
    Originally posted by Loopi
    Out of interest is this the first time that you've been so far away from home for a prolonged period? And are you going alone or with someone else from your course?

there are two of us going from my uni to moscow. so we should be able to look after each other.

i've just come back from 5 months in France, but i had a break for Christmas in between that one. so yeah, this is probably the longest i'll have spent away from home, and my family, and my friends, and my uni, and cadbury's chocolate....

:( i'm homesick already and haven't even left yet!
    erm happy stories............I got out of there alive :p

Nah, seriously, I didn't know a word of Russian (and still don't) but I didn't find it at all hard to get around (the metro is Moscow is breathtaking, you must visit some of the themed stations) and most of the people out there speak some English. I found Moscow to be quite seedy in all honesty, definately a mans world, but once you get past the very cool exterior of the people out there, they are fine. St Petersburg is beautiful, if you have the chance to go up, take it! I can only go by my experience of it, which was a week long one, so it's not the greatest view point of the place, but it really was a trip to remember. For some reason, Coldplay sounds better when you play it at 3am in Moscow. Don't ask. :confused:
    Awww, dammit, I wanna go to Russia. I have this great urge to visit Siberia, although I've not worked out quite *why* I want to visit. If I was going, Moscow and St Petersburg would be top of the hitlist, and I'd love to go to Archangel just cos I read it about it some place and it seemed cool. I wanna see the Kremlin dammit, go_away showed me some photos from her trip and it's just more magnificient with every angle.

But I wouldn't go for five months. Too long, especially in a country where I don't speak the language AND can't read the signs.

Bah. I'm jealous.
    I'd probably go...But to be honest, fuck going to Russia when with war around the corner. I suppose I'd make myself go just so I didn't not go cos of the war..

But not for five months, go out and see how it is, then go back if it was good..and when the war is finished..I wouldn't trust them in a political sense..*huggles for you for going*