Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The EU approach for France, Germany and Belgium?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I found this very amusing. It was part of a series of suggestions on how to deal with the French.
Richard Tucker of Charleston, South Carolina, says that we should punish France by giving them what they say they want: respect for their standing as a component part of a united Europe:

“Forget their time table, immediately recognize the European Union as a sovereign nation.

“Downgrade every Embassy to a Consulate in the EU member countries that did not sign the letter of support to the US on Iraq. (It's a ‘phased’ approach to establishing diplomatic ties to the new EU).

“Designate the U.S. Belgian Embassy as the U.S. Embassy to the EU.

“Close all the US Embassies of said countries; give 30 days to leave the US or apply for visas. Recognize the Greek Ambassador as the EU representative until the EU can appoint a permanent one.

“Declare null and void all bilateral agreements with France, Germany, and Belgium. State we are open to renewing said agreements with the EU on a case-by-case basis. (Yes, yes, yes, we’ll get around to treating all member states the same; It’s the same ‘phased’ approach.)

“Move that all EU members’ delegations in the UN General Assembly be combined into one seat. Revoke diplomatic immunity for said delegations and impound their property until they pay all their parking tickets.”

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really funny Greenhat. And what justice to the prima donna French.

France reminds me of the little nothings in school who have their entorage of nothings following them around.

France has created a world in the EU where they can rule and influence...even though they are way to small to truly be global leaders. Why any country would want to put up with their nonsense is beyond me.
    Re: The EU approach for France, Germany and Belgium?
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    I found this very amusing. It was part of a series of suggestions on how to deal with the French.

Great idea. But it would never happen. America always forgives its enemies. Are largest failing as a nation.
    This thread gives a very good insight of what's wrong with the world today.

The Bush administration and its followers are starting to appear like a sinister 20th century dictatorship. Where freedom of expression comes at a terrible price; where anyone who dares to disagree with the Master shall be punished for its boldness. Where anyone who is considered a threat, however small or improbable, or might considered to be so in the future is singled out for elimination in the best 'final solution' style. Where it is seen as acceptable to attack or invade others for personal or strategic gain. Where democracy is pushed out of the window and the right to free vote in international institutions if seen as an inconvenience if the vote goes against the wishes of the Master. Where war on a sovereign nation is seen as a "right", and anyone who dares question the validity of it or tries to defuse the situation by peaceful means is classified as an ‘enemy’. Where the masses are easily taken aboard by alarmist reports, half-truths and a misguided sense of patriotism.

I'm not being funny: there are things coming from America right now that send a chill through my spine. These are dark times indeed; I have never seen a so-called democratic government and its supporters act with such contempt or insult other nations and attempt to bully them into submission in this fashion before. I can only hope, for the sake of mankind, that the Bush administration is booted out of government at the earliest opportunity and this dangerous and ugly tide of ignorant prejudice and contempt for others that seems to be infecting sectors of the American public is eliminated. Because right now echoes of the darkest days of the 1930s are resonating everywhere.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Where freedom of expression comes at a terrible price; where anyone who dares to disagree with the Master shall be punished for its boldness.

Of course, it was the French who suggested that those countries dissenting from the French view on Iraq should "Shut Up" and that they put their future membership of the EU "at risk"...
    An ugly move by the French. Prompted by behind-the-scenes games between Blair and Aznar and followed by certain sympathetic leaders, but an ugly move nonetheless. Still, I hope you appreciate my point and the wider significance and importance of the acts of the Bush administration so far.
    PNJ, are you aware of the current situation in the Ivory Coast?
    With all due respect MoK, noting that the rather needy "soon to be" member states "missed an opportunity to remain silent" is a far cry from the overt slanderous labels and political, economic threats emerging from the Washington gang.
    Toadborg, I heard there's protests against the French. Is that true?

Also while I have your attention. Today, Chirac said France's approach to Africa is like a loving father. Isn't that patronizing...to treat grown African leaders like they are children who must be guided?
    There is currently a civil war in the Ivory Coast that threatens to engulf the whole region. There have been protests against the Franch prescense but is generally considered that the French armed forces are the only thing standing between the country and mass bloodshed and the disintegration of civil society.

I think Chirac's comment isn't unreasonable. France is one of the main old colonial powers and economically and politically the nations of Africa are undeveloped. I don't think he is referring to actual leaders but to the state of the nations as a whole.......
    No more patronizing than anything being uttered from Bush and Rumsfeld these days.
    Gee guys. The post was intended to be amusing. Nothing in the first post came from anyone in the administration, and even the author of it fairly obviously had tongue firmly in cheek.

And I've been accused of being too serious. Damn, you guys need an enema or something... ;)

Maybe that line to the Sergeant Major near the end of "Good Morning Vietnam"....
    Just looked up the word "enema".

I think we need to debate that weapon of "ass" destruction.:rolleyes:
    Gee guys. The post was intended to be amusing. Nothing in the first post came from anyone in the administration, and even the author of it fairly obviously had tongue firmly in cheek.

And I've been accused of being too serious. Damn, you guys need an enema or something... ;)

Maybe that line to the Sergeant Major near the end of "Good Morning Vietnam"....

Your right, we all are a bit too serious. Strong opinions and strong debate on almost all subjects posted. Makes an interesting board though. I do enjoy my time here.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    the rather needy "soon to be" member states

You've spent too much time with the French, my man. Shit, even I wouldn't make such an arrogant comment ;)

Rather "needy" :rolleyes:

Indeed. I have no doubt that there are a few on here "in more dire need..." that most people I've met. But to be honest, I don't think any of us would turn one down ;)
    Tell me then MoK, have you spent any time in Poland or any of the three Baltic States? I have and I can tell you that they are very hungry for economic development. Nothing arrogant about pointing out the truth of why they so willingly fell in behind Washington, especially given their lack of any real global military or geo-political value.

Although I find it funny that you not so long ago moaned about EU enlargement on the very basis of the economic drain these countries would only add to the party, and now you turn and suggest im arrogant for raising your comment to the geo-political level. Some people are simply never satisfied! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Although I find it funny that you not so long ago moaned about EU enlargement on the very basis of the economic drain these countries would only add to the party, and now you turn and suggest im arrogant for raising your comment to the geo-political level. Some people are simply never satisfied! :rolleyes:

Actually my concern about the enlargement of the EU was more about the loss of democracy than about the economic issues.

To be honest, I felt that the term "needy" was excessively patronising. That was all. I could just "hear" Chirac saying exactly the same thing... ;)