Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Computer help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, No doubt smeone out there can help. We have two computers and i want to network them together so we can both access the internet at the same time. One system has Winxp on it, the other Win98. I did manage to get it working but for some reason it keeps stopping.
Anyhow i have got Winxp to go on other comp now. Does anyone know if its alot easier to set up a network with the same windows on each?

Any help appreciated
Ta

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You may find it easier with winxp on both machines, but if you don't know why it kept stopping it would be no better probably. Need more information about the stopping.
    Originally posted by Mist
    You may find it easier with winxp on both machines, but if you don't know why it kept stopping it would be no better probably. Need more information about the stopping.

Well ive set networks up before (although i'm no expert) & the main computer seems to be forgetting the settings all the time. Decided to use Wingate to share net access as this was the only way to get it working in the end. Winxp said to disable the firewall first as it has one built in, but i can't seem to do it now! Argh.
    Yeah it would make things a bit easier. WindowsXP Home Edition also has built in "Network Setup" features which configure the PC's for you.

I presume you've already got the LAN cards/cables/hub(not essential) etc...

Any probs give us a shout.
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Yeah it would make things a bit easier. WindowsXP Home Edition also has built in "Network Setup" features which configure the PC's for you.

I presume you've already got the LAN cards/cables/hub(not essential) etc...

Any probs give us a shout.

Yep got crossover cables instead of hub & can get the network to work, it's the bloody internet access (sharing) i'm getting my hair off with.
    Originally posted by Tweety

Yep got crossover cables instead of hub & can get the network to work, it's the bloody internet access (sharing) i'm getting my hair off with.

r u using a 56k dial up coz if you are that could be the problem..

it is better to use broadband for internet
    Originally posted by Type R

Yeah only a 56k modem, but i've never found a problem before. Yeah its not that fast, butit works. Well it should! Argh.
    Broadband would be good, but a 56k should be fine, as long as you don't try downloading stuff, especially together.

Check out:

Practically Networked :: Sharing

Should be able to find something there to help you...:)
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Broadband would be good, but a 56k should be fine, as long as you don't try downloading stuff, especially together.

Check out:

Practically Networked :: Sharing

Should be able to find something there to help you...:)

Thanks, that looks really helpful.:D
    Originally posted by Type R

We had three computers networked on 56k for a couple of months before we got broadband. Yes, it was slow, but it didn't cause any problems with the networking.
    Yeah that page got some helpful stuff on it, good for troubleshooting etc...

It may be slowish but not too major if its just web surfing, plus it shouldnt cause any physical network problems.

Good luck oh tweety one :yes: