Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Am I safe to have sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just started Microgynon 30 and want to lose my virginity to my boyfriend soon.

On the packet it says you have immidiate protection - but it tells you to start the packet on your first day of your period. When I got it off my doctor she said I could start it this month as long as it was before the 5th day of my period. I started it on the 3rd and she said it would be effective after 2wks. So i'm kinda confused :confused: I've been taking it for 2weeks - do you think I am protected?

Also, do you think it is safe to take this pill on its own. I mean not use condoms as well. My boyfriend thinks it will be ok, and the statistics for the pill is really high and my mum says it will be fine as well because she used to be on it before she had me! However, then I read on this site of a person who got pregnant twice off this pill....

Basically I wanna know how many people on here take the pill and only the pill

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look at my sig, adam's mine :p

I always thought that you had to use protection for the first 7 days if you didn't start the packet on your period, therefore you should be protected now. My mum was on the pill and fell pregnant, with me :rolleyes: and my sister :rolleyes:

But it all depends I guess, make sure you take it properly like the same time every day, I'm on it and don't use protection and have been ok so far in 7 months!
    the combined pill

Contraception overview

If taken correctly the pill can be very effective in preventing pregnancy but it does not prevent sexually transmitted infections

Susie :)
    I would make him use a rubber aswell, it's not just getting pregnant you need to consider.
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I would make him use a rubber aswell, it's not just getting pregnant you need to consider.

i'd agree with that.

you don't know where people have been. and even if you do it's better to be safe than sorry. i was advised to use a condom for the first month of being on my pill, just in case.

and now i've been on it for about 6 years and still usually use a condom too. sex without a condom can get (how can i put it).... messy as hell.

my brother's girlfriend was on the pill when she got pregnant with my nephew. she's my age. that's enough of a warning for me.
    Originally posted by Jo_is_an_Angel
    My boyfriend thinks it will be ok
    I don't have a clue if it will be ok or not...
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    you don't know where people have been
    Plus other similar comments
    I know where I've been, and I'm a virgin, so no risk of STIs. Pregnancy is the only worry (plus the whole loosing virginity thing... :crazyeyes )
    Although I've bought condoms now anyway...
    Originally posted by Me_and
    I don't have a clue if it will be ok or not...I know where I've been, and I'm a virgin, so no risk of STIs. Pregnancy is the only worry (plus the whole loosing virginity thing... :crazyeyes )
    Although I've bought condoms now anyway...

What about him? Do you know he's all clear?
    Originally posted by Tweety

What about him? Do you know he's all clear?

Lol.

OK, I'm JO (Jo_is_an_Angel) and Adam (Me_and) is my boyfriend. We are both virgins and we have only ever done an sexual type stuff (in Adams case he has only ever even kiss one person, me!) with each other so there is deffiently no risk of STI.
    :lol: In that case me_and make sure your wearing you coat for further protection.:D
    Originally posted by Jo_is_an_Angel

We are both virgins and we have only ever done an sexual type stuff (in Adams case he has only ever even kiss one person, me!) with each other so there is deffiently no risk of STI.

fair enough.

i just like to err on the side of caution. your boy may be squeaky clean, but a lot of them aren't, so i always advise EVERYONE to use condoms.

and using condoms means no one will have to sleep in the wet patch. the 'fall-out' you get after condom-less sex is not the most fun thing in the world.

or maybe it's just me.