Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Answering the phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you are at work, what do you have to say when you answer the phone ?

I am lucky, my phone rings once every 6 weeks (no joke) and I just have to say, "afternoon logistics"

Do you say your phone number at home ?

:D

Comments

• Options
    Where I work the phone rings every 2 minutes.
    I usually let someone else answer :D
  • Options
    I don't answer the phone.
    Unless I'm the only one in.

Even though my room is closest.
    It's never for me, and I can't be arsed to run around finding people.

</rant>

anyways...I say "hello".
  • Options
    I work at British Gas, I speak to other gas companies agreeing reads when a customers leaves or joins us. When I answer the fone i have to say

"Good morning/afternoon. Customer Transfers Kelle speaking how can I help?"

I answer the fone laughing some times cuz people crack me up as I pick up the fone, but sometimes our calls are monitored and we are marked down.

When Im at home though I dont say my number, Hello is enough.

:)
  • Options
    Does anyone say the number anymore? I think it was pretty normal to do so when I was a kid, thinking back, but I haven`t heard anyone do it for donkeys years. Everyone I know just says," Hello?" if they`re being polite, otherwise it`s just, "Yeah?" lol
  • Options
    When I worked as a receptionist I used to have to answer the phone with:

"Good morning/afternoon/evening, {insert name of company here} Helen speaking, how may I help you?"

At home I just answer with:

"Hello."
  • Options
    if i'm in a bad mood it might be "what?"
  • Options
    At work I answer (when I do) with:
    Good morning/afternoon, <company here>, can I help you?"

Home:
    Hello

Mobile:
    Depending who's showing in caller display
  • Options
    If I finished lunching I may say *burp*
  • Options
    Re: Answering the phone
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    Do you say your phone number at home ?

Nope - never. That really annoys me when people do.
  • Options
    I dont work but at home i just answer with "Hello"
  • Options
    i used to work for the abbey national telephone banking service, and i had to answer the phone

WELCOME TO ABBEY NATIONAL TELEPHONE BANKING HOW CAN I HELP YOU

but after i worked there i worked for a small admin company and every time the phone rang i would say welcome to abbey..

i only worked there for a week,,,, hmmm i wunder why??
  • Options
    Um well it depends on my mood, most of the time i answer the phone saying "hello" or "hiya" but some times i say stuf like "hello batersby dogs homes how can i help you" or this is the funeral directors what size coffin do you need please":p
  • Options
    My Mum used to always answer her home phone with "1702", the end of her old phone number, I never understood why. She just says hello now :D

At work most of our calls are internal anyway so I just answer with whatever department Im in and my name. Some people in my department answer with the whole big speech, the name of the company, how can I help you, blah blah blah. That annoys me :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I think the numbers are too long now to answer with... it was probably easier when they were a lot shorter like when I was a kid. I can remember my Gran`s phone number was Cholderton 608!!
  • Options
    My mates mum used to answer the phone and just say the last 3 digits

"hello 350!"

:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    Um well it depends on my mood, most of the time i answer the phone saying "hello" or "hiya" but some times i say stuf like "hello batersby dogs homes how can i help you" or this is the funeral directors what size coffin do you need please":p
    My Dad used to do that, I used to live in a place called Milton and he used to say Milton Mental Institute when he answered the phone!
  • Options
    :lol: thats a good one!ill have to use it some time, its suprising how many people actually hang up though when you say it,:rolleyes:
  • Options
    That reminds me, my other half`s number when he was younger was one digit away from Halfords` number and he used to get about 4 or 5 calls a day for them. Instead of doing what any normal person would do and telling themtheir mistake he used to give them quotes for parts and book them in for MOT`s!!! :o
  • Options
    home, usually just say either "hello" or "helloey"

when i temped at council i had to say "good morning/afternoon environmental services,how can i help?"
    work experience was "good morning/afternoon, milton keynes trading standards department, maria speaking, how can i help?"

our phone number is one away from a company called makita.we would wind people up but were not too sure what they actually do.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Good morning/afternoon PC Support or Hello Andy speaking.

plain and simple, ive answer my home fone Hello PC Support aswell tho... OOOPZ
  • Options
    At work I say hello rachael speaking how can I help you in a well cheesy voice, and at home I munmble hello.
  • Options
    Well when i was on work experience i was meant to answer the phone and say:
    'good morning Fitness First, Louise speaking i can i help?'
    but i always ended up just saying something completly different, and at home i just say 'Hello' :D
  • Options
    I say...'Hello reference Library'
  • Options
    LOL at work we are warned to NEVER on penalty of death:rolleyes: say hello! its "good morning/afternoon/evening TK Maxx Paisley Ashleigh speaking how can i help you?" all before they can say anything! its exhausting! sometimes they cut you off mid-spiel!
    at home its usually "hullo" and i usually get mistaken for my 10 year old brother:(
  • Options
    At work - ICT, Jim Speaking. If they then ask to speak to Jim I tell them he's not available. You've phoned me at least have the manners to listen to me :P

At home - Hello or sometimes Yeeeello

Mobile - Depends who's calling
  • Options
    "Alrite"
  • Options
    Depends on my mood...

house fone: usually a reluctant hello

Mobile: depending on who it is i may say: hey, uh yeh, now wat, i know..., its about time or missed ya to my b/f
  • Options
    I say ''wot'' or ''hello'' or ''hewolo'' or "hola" to people at home,...depends who's calling. If I don't recognise the number I just leave it for someone else.

On very very rare occasions when my mobile rings, I answer it just the same.
  • Options
    It depends where the phone ringing is if its at home I usually leave one of my sisters to answer it. But if its at work its usually me who has to answer it and I give the name of the company I work for and ask how I can help the person on the other side of the phone.:)
  • Options
    i only anser my cell phone, and it depends on who's calling for how i answer

if its my work i answer with i'm on my way
    if its a good friend i say, what the fuck do you want, or hey
    if its an unknown i answer with hello??
    if its a family member i say hi