Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Natural Anti-depressents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am well aware of St John's Wort (but refuse to take it as I have read various articles about it) but does anyone know of any other natural remedies etc which may have a similar effect?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Caffeine :)
  • Options
    I thought caffeine was a natural depressant?

I thought it made you feel 'low' or something? But I might give it a try!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I thought caffeine was a natural depressant?

I thought it made you feel 'low' or something? But I might give it a try!

I think it's probably a stimulant. But I don't rightly know.
  • Options
    Apparently omega 3 oils have some kind of effect, so my MIL was telling me. So that`s cod liver oil capsules (or eating more fish than Godzilla).
  • Options
    I'm studying pharmacology (I used to do biochem at Jesus, Oxford - DJP).

Anyway, all antidepressants have a very low rate of curing the problem. Most either cause alleviation of symptoms by the placebo effect (ie you think that they're going to make you better, and this attitude makes you feel better), or by causing such drastic side effects (nausea, drowsiness, oversleeping, etc) that the original symptoms are overshadowed.

Caffeine is to be avoided - it is can increase anxiety. One of the best things you can do is to take 30mins brisk exercise every day - this releases chemicals called endorphins in you brain, which will give you a feeling of wellbeing.

Your doctor maybe be able to prescribe you antidepressants (the main brand names are Prozac (fluoxetine), Seroxat (paroxetine), and Cipramil (citalopram). From personal experience of these, avoid Seroxat as I experienced withdrawal symptoms for 3 months after finishing a 1 month course. Cipramil is relatively new, but seems to have better results than most antidepressants.

The above 3 drugs are called SSRIs - Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors - basically, they increase the concentration of active serotonin (a chemical that produces a nice feeling) in the brain. Other types work by either increasing the concentration os active noradrenaline in the brain (Tricylclic Antidepressants and New Generation Antidepressants), or by increasing the concentration of both of these by stopping them being broken down (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors - these often produce the worst side effects, for example eating cheese while on these could lead to a fatal rise in blood pressure).

Perhaps you could consider counselling - if you're at university there should be a university counselling service. If you're not at university, you could see your GP (if you this he/she is approachable and may be sympathetic - of not, you could switch GPs).

I hope this can be of some help to you - if you want more info, just PM me.
  • Options
    I take St John's Wort.. make u feel fine..
  • Options
    If it's mild depression, counselling can be just as effective as drugs in many people.
  • Options
    Thanks Matthew, very comprehensive!