Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

cheating ex ruins self esteem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Eight months after my bad messy horrible break up and first love, I thought I was moving on. I have a crush. Horrah. I was going to ask him out, and then I was hit with news that really didn't help my self esteem.
Yesterday, I was gearing up to ask him out, when who comes along but my ex's ex (aka, the girl before me). She tells me, as she's mad at him, to ask him about they day they hung out (this was before we broke up). Eh. So I did. Yeah, they had sex.
Eight months after the fact, after I pry it out of him, he tells me "oh, yeah, by the way, I cheated on you". Thanks, appreciated.
And since it is eight months after the fact, I don't care. What I do care is how it now has damaged my self esteem. Hey, if I'm not good enough for him and he has to go cheat on me, then I mustn't be good enough for anyone else, and so, now Im reluctant to ask out this new guy. Yay!
All my friends are like "ask him out, you'll miss out" and I'm so blunt and direct, I go to do it, and as soon as I see him I'm like "Im so not good enough for you." and turn around giving up.

*dances around anxiously* what do I dooooooo? argggh. Could my ex possibly ruin my life any more? 'elp! :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    well that just goes to show that you are in the right position NOT being with him and you should turn things around and let the news increase your self-esteem not harm it.

you should feel good about yourself that you are not with him anymore and that you are free to chase whoever you like and go for it....

....it doesn't even have to lead to anything.
  • Options
    *sigh*
    yeah. Im really happy I'm no longer with him.
    but it was the fact I held him in such high esteem (everyone does, really) so the feeling of being rejected by him, of all people, makes me feel useless.

and, as much as I hate him for what he's done to me, he's still a friend of mine, which makes it even more weird.
  • Options
    Hey its history, don't let it get you down. I wonder why you'd want someone like this as a friend though?

As for the new guy, I'd wait for him to ask you. If he likes you, he will. Protecting yourself from rejection at a time like this is a good thing! Hope it goes well. :)
  • Options
    hiya honey
    i know what a guy cheating on you can do to you-its happened to me in the last couple of months so i know how u feel.if u ever want someone to talk to who knows what your feeling then u can always PM me!
    *hugs*
    Char
    xxxx