Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pomms????????????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why the hell do Australians call us (British) people Pomms??? This seems quite strange, and it has been bugging me for a while.

Ta:crazyeyes

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Pomms????????????
    Originally posted by oliglynn
    Why the hell do Australians call us (British) people Pomms??? This seems quite strange, and it has been bugging me for a while.

Ta:crazyeyes
    because being the sweet people they are, they haven't learned how to swear propperly yet.
    POM = "Prisoner of Motherland"

They also call Brits "Winging Poms" cause all the majority of us seem to do when we come over is complain (and believe me they are in general right - having seen and heard tourists out here frequently) - its basically to do with the fact that many brits are really stuck up, consider their own country as 'god-land' and have a very up-front arrogant attitude!!

Bear in mind that many Australians and Kiwi's are very laid back, they are also very open minded and exceptionally friendly - Brits can be quite reserved!

They think brits are prisoners because they haven't seen the rest of the world and won't venture out or broaden their hoizons (ie. prisoners of the UK) which to countrys who are members of the commonwealth is considered the 'motherland'

I have some right funny arguments out here with some of them ;)
    Justin lies, he's obviously been corrupted by that bunch of Kiwis he lives with.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm

is about the best explanation I've found. Basically, no one knows, but you all look like pomegranites. :p