Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

CD's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think about copying cd's? Personally it doesnt bother me its saving me money, it sounds exactley the same, and looks exactley the same.Out of my entire cd collection i only have one "proper" cd and all the rest are copys!

Do you think its going to kill music like they claim it is?

Maybe if they didnt charge about £20 for an album or £4 for a single! then id pay it!but at the moment i can get copy cds for £1.50.

How much do you pay for your copied cd's?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: CD's
    Originally posted by sxy bunny grl
    What do you think about copying cd's? Personally it doesnt bother me its saving me money, it sounds exactley the same, and looks exactley the same.Out of my entire cd collection i only have one "proper" cd and all the rest are copys!

Maybe if they didnt charge about £20 for an album or £4 for a single! then id pay it!but at the moment i can get copy cds for £1.50.

Never a truer word spoken i have nearly 500 copied albums now could you imagine if i paid say £10 each for them £5k :lol:
    So how much do you pay for your copies?
    Pay bugger all cos someone real close sells them. I Just usually copy out what i want.:p

A price of 19 € (14 £) for a new CD kills the music.
    copies cost me as much as it does to bulk buy the blanks!

if the music industry was prepared to give up some of its astronomical profits by lowering prices they might find people willing to buy more cds!
    Originally posted by cymruangel
    copies cost me as much as it does to bulk buy the blanks!

if the music industry was prepared to give up some of its astronomical profits by lowering prices they might find people willing to buy more cds!

And you know the worst part is that they'd have less money to invest in manufactured bands.

Now *that* would be a pity. :p
    I copy most of mine! If it's someone I love and know it'll be an excellent album then i will buy it, otherwise I download it! Cheapskate I know, but I got into the habit of doing it when I was at uni!
    Lol well im not quite in uni yet but already have the habits:p plus £20 can get you a nice top from topshop!and £5 can get you some nice jewelry if your going out somwhere.
    i am poor, cheap, and... anything else that goes along with being poor and cheap.

copying cds is good.

but i'm also really lazy and impatient and it takes too long to download all those songs...

ooohhhh... a dilema
    since my foot ended up in my cd-burner...no copies for me :(
    Originally posted by bad seed

hmmm... that cant be good for it
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Dont' tell me, someone else who keeps their computer on the floor under a desk, so it can suck all the crap and fluff off the carpet and in to the innards of the machine, oh, and so they can constantly kick the crap out of it (either intentionally, or unintentionally).

Mr_Wobble ;)
    About 3 of mine are copied, the rest are real, I prefer them, just looks nasty, oh, and that minor fact that it is illegal.

Copying CD's is wrong, both legally and morally. It's breaking copyrights, and is stealing. Just because you haven't actually stolen the CD from a shop doesn't mean it isn't stealing. What you've done is take something (the music in this case, which sounds just as good as if you had the original CD) without paying for it. You've stolen from the shops that sell them, the companies that produce them, and the artists who create the music in the first place. There is no justification, and no way you can convince me that you are doing anything right. Copying is theft.

However.....

Like just about everybody I know, I have plenty of copied CD's, and God knows how many MP3's that I've downloaded.
    Years ago I didn't have any, and wouldn't buy them. But my experiences with photography, and people ripping off copies of my photos (buying one print, then copying it, and often enlarging it, dozens of times) just pissed me off. With computers, printers, CD ReWriters, etc, it's just so common nowadays. I gave up trying to be all moral about it, and thought "If that's the way people are going to be about my work, and they're not going to stop it, then I'll be fucked if I'm going to be like that about other people's", and so nowadays I'll copy/download just like so many other people. It isn't right, and will never be right, but I do it.

What I've always resented about CD's is the premium price they've made us pay for them over the years. When they came out in the early 80's they were about £15 per album. I always remember an interview with an ex chairman of one of the music companies. He was asked why CD's cost so much. His answer was that people were willing to pay that much for them, so that was the right price to charge for them! Despite the fact that they were almost twice the price of a vinyl 12" album at the time.
    The music industry has had it too good for many years, ripping us off with over priced music, and giving us crappy manufactured bands in return, so I don't feel sorry for them. But copying does ultimately damage new bands, new music, and true talent, by making the music companies more unwilling to try something/somebody new. Instead they'd rather give us more tried and tested, formulaic, manufactured bands.

However. While CD's may begin to die a death, MP3's are taking off. I know a few people in bands who curse them because of copying, copyright, and not getting anything for them, but those who embrace them, and use them effectively, are finding they're a great way of getting known and getting noticed. Someone I know online has had some success by embracing MP3's and the Internet... www.janemusic.info So it's not all bad news.

The music industry is trying to stop the distribution of MP3's. But they've shot themselves in the foot there. They shut down Napster, rather than work with it. So everybody's embraced the virtually uncontrolable P2P networks, such as Kazaa. The music industry just missed out on the perfect way to sell music. The fools! They could've had it under their control, but they'v blown it because of their greed for what they can squeeze out of us with CD's now. I don't feel sorry for the industry in that sense (the industry of distributing the music).

Until they find someway of knobbling the CD's, and preventing MP3's being exchanged freely (unlikely now), I'll enjoy the downloading and copying of music while I can. And I'll only buy a CD if it's something I really truly like.

I've MP3'd my entire CD collection anyway, as I hate fumbling for CD's, and it's easier to have playlists in the computer ready to go in seconds. It's a much better way of listening to music for me, especially as the computer is on most of the time.

Now, on to the subject of DVD's. DVD's are now cheaper to produce than video cassettes. The charge well under a tenner for most recent films on video cassettes, yet they charge the better part of £20 for the same film on DVD!!! We're back to the same situation with CD's and Vinyl albums in the early 80's. DVD re-writers are becoming cheaper all the time because people are buying more of them now so they can copy expensive DVD's (you only have to copy a dozen films to cover the cost of the DVD Re-Writer nowadays). The more people who buy the rewriters, the cheaper they become. The movie industry is going to soon have the same problems as the music industry at this rate. And serve them right too! Because they're ripping us off with premium rate prices because enough people are daft enough to pay them for a DVD.

Mr_Wobble ;)

:yes: I often copy CDs, so much cheaper! Yeh it probably ist good for the music industry but they should make it cheaper! :p
    Re: Re: CD's
    Originally posted by Young and sexy

:yes: I often copy CDs, so much cheaper! Yeh it probably ist good for the music industry but they should make it cheaper! :p
    The thing is, they've had it their own way for so long now, and charged so much for so long, that it's become common for people not to think twice about copying CD's, and because so many people do it now, the hardware, and the blank CD's have become so cheap. If CD's hadn't cost so much in the first place, then the demand for copies wouldn't have been so high, and so on. Of course, even if CD's had been cheap enough, inevitably the hardware and blank disks would've become cheap anyway.

Mr_Wobble ;)