Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Problems with XP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so here we have it...

My stepdad has just upgraded to Windows XP... But now we can't get Yahoo! messenger or install Trillian. It's not a problem with firewalls, we just can't use the programs anymore.
So this message comes up...

Yahoo! Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienience.

It offers to send a report to Mircosoft, then, if you look further in to the report...

This error report includes: information reguarding the condition of Yahoo! Messenger when the problem occured; the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your Digital Product ID, which could be used to identify your licence; and the Internet Protocol address of your computer.

And then it goes on about privacy... I've redownloaded Yahoo! and it won't let me even set Trillian up. Any other programs that support Yahoo! accounts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    soz dunno, i had xp for about a week then went back to win2k pro
    Dunno about your problems, but I've found Win2K to still behave a bit oddly with some programs which were fine under Win9x. But at least I have stability now! I've used XP on other peoples computers, but not my own yet. Is XP that great, or that different from Win2K? Is it really better, or just MS marketing hype?

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Download application upgrade so it can run under XP....

Or

Right click on you application that don't work:

>>Compatibility>>>Windows 95/98>>>Apply.

Post back if it don't work..
    if you go in to internet options and turn the fire wall off you will beable to use yahoo, i had the same problem last night with xp
    Still won't work. The computer won't let me install Trillian or post on LJ either. The D drive doesn't show up since we installed the new system too...
    I had something wierd like that the first time I installed Win2K. It wouldn't show me the second hard drive, which was still a FAT32 drive. I tried to reinstall again, and this time it was no problem whatsoever. Go figure? Bleedin' Windoze!

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Creeper, has you Dad or anyone set them selfs as ADMIN and given you just a "User" level??