Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

DVD Player alternatives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi to all computer experts out there. I need some advice. My flatmate reckons that she can play DVD's on her laptop and somehow link this up to our TV screen so we can watch them on it.

Can this be done? Someone mentioned a Scart lead or something...I'm not very technically minded. In fact I can't even get an avatar for myself, cos I don't know how to a)find the bloody things and b) upload them.

If any of you guys can help out I'd be v. happy.

cheers!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's quite possible that she'll be able to play the movies on the laptop, but I think that direct-to-tv output is unlikely, unless the laptop has a composite or s-video output on it somewhere. You'd be looking for either a yellow-covered round hole (composite) or black round hole with lots of square recesses in a circular shape (s-video).
    Cheers Mist - although I'm still not sure...:confused: - once I find these holes - yellow or black - do I need a Scart lead to connect it to the television?

I know the laptop definently plays DVD's - its just a matter of working out if it will display on the TV.
    you can do it, my boyf has done the same with his laptop. I'm not sure how but I shall ask him later for you if you like.
    Originally posted by JonBoi
    Cheers Mist - although I'm still not sure...:confused: - once I find these holes - yellow or black - do I need a Scart lead to connect it to the television?

I know the laptop definently plays DVD's - its just a matter of working out if it will display on the TV.

Yes you will need a scart lead of some kind the question being what connector you need on the PC end of the scart lead. Obviously you will also need a teevee with a scart socket.
    That would be great Faith. I'm stuck out in Germany at the moment and am sick of watching German TV. You need to concentrate really hard to understand everything!!

If this DVD idea works out it means I can chill out with a DVD at the weekend, watch it in English and not have to run find my dictionary to understand the plot. Blissssssss...
    at the telly end, you can use either a scart lead (you can get them to display direct from an S-VHS output) or a standard co-axial lead (if you have the same output on the laptop).
    Originally posted by bad seed
    at the telly end, you can use either a scart lead (you can get them to display direct from an S-VHS output) or a standard co-axial lead (if you have the same output on the laptop).

I've never seen a laptop with a coax socket. They exist? That's so cool. :p

But Mist has it about right, although s-video to SCART cables don't come cheap. Here, they cost about £15-20.
    Find you manuals.

Find out which (if any) video output your laptop has. S-video, Composite, or possibly some funny connector.

Find out which (if any) video inputs your telly has. May have composite video at the front, or s-video, or scart.

Go to a shop and buy the lead that goes from the laptop connector to the TV connector.

Audio is a whole new kettle of fish