Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Euthanasia?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think? Are there any circumstances that justify killing someone as an act of mercy? Can people reach a point where they have nothing to live for, and killing them is an act of kindness.

What about those siamese twins, should one dies to save the other?

Comments

• Options
    If someone wants to die, then let them. Just make sure its not short term deppresion from something, make sure that there is nothing for them left. I expect I will die by suicide, assisted or not I dont know. If not suicide then over the woods next to the railway line where I go to smoke weed. I've always known that one day I will get hit by a train, it's nearly happened many times before.
  • Options
    Blade thinks there are no circumstances where life can be taken. Only the divine He may end life. Tough on us mortals, but I believe there is a purpose for everything, and ours is not to reason why.

I think the poor parents of the twins would agree with that, but unfortunately the law may not. Tough call.
  • Options
    My Husband's brother had motor neurone disease, he pleaded with his brothers to help him end his life, he knew what lay ahead.

My husband fought with his emotions & morals and in the end he couldn't do it. Even when his brother had lost all use of his body, but his mind was stil perfect.

In the end his brother died by asphyxiation, effectively drowning in his own saliva.

My husband has never forgiven himself, he can vividly remember his brother managing to say "please.....help.....me".

He now confesses that if presented with the same situation, he would follow the wishes of the person in need.

J9
  • Options
    Firstly to j9j9, I am very sorry your husband's brother died in the manner he did, but I can sympathise with the action your brother took, because UK law prohibits euthanasia in any circumstances.

However, I know that if someone I loved were in the latter stages of a terminal condition, and were in pain, I would give him or her ALL the morphine they were legally prescribed – knowing that to do so would probably suppress their respiratory system and lead to a peaceful death.

Concerning the Siamese twins, I think it comes down to whether it is right to murder one for the other to survive – In this instance I would let nature take its course, and try and operate to separate them if and when one had died. As cleanblade says, tough call this one,

Regards derby
  • Options
    Yeah, these situations kinda bad on everyone, someone I know just died of an overdose, dunno what drug but he mixed with alcohol. Does morphine lead to a peacefull death derby, i nearly over did speed once, chest pains, my greatest fear is overdose or dying old, will heroin give you a peacefull death as well as its what I expect this someone over did. Even though I hardy knew this person it over shadows our whole group, like a motor racing death, drivers trying to understand what had happened in 94 in San marino, the next few races seem different, somewhat overshadowed and dark. The same for my group, sitting back sober and thinking about the dangers of what we do. Kinda mystifies you for a long while.

[This message has been edited by dirty_harry (edited 08-09-2000).]
  • Options
    this again is a v.personal and i suppose most of us have r views, but they prob b different if we were faced with it.
    i think that suicide is a cop out to some extent, i dont feel any1 has the right to take their life, just as no1 has the right to take ur life. but, sayin that ive always told my mum that if anythin were to happen to me and i was left a 'vegetable' then id want to 'b killed'. and if my mum or bro or any close member of my family were seriously ill and they asked me to 'kill em' when they were beyond helpin themselves then im afraid that i would seriously consider doin it, no matter what the law says.
    the law just looks at the country as a population and dont realy consider the personal issues involved.
    it think the law should b so that this is possible, but some1 in authority(doc etc) would have to confirm that it could occur for suitable reasons, so as euthanasia could not b used as an alabi for a murder.if it were to b then the ill, dieing person(when in suitable mind) could sign decleration type thing to agree to b 'killed', this would also have to be a professional issue. but things would b different if the case was unexpected, ie a road traffic accident, then it would b down to the relatives.
    i think this is gonna b another issue to cause a little tension and an atmosphere, sorry if ive offended any1.
    love helly
  • Options
    No, its fine. If you developed moto-neuron disease, would you want someone to kill you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Caliph:
    No, its fine. If you developed moto-neuron disease, would you want someone to kill you?

Yes

J9
  • Options
    Yes,

I would hope someone who loved me, would enable me to swallow enough diamorphine to end my life.

Though I hope to god, none of us are ever in that position.
  • Options
    Just remember, the law can be a major pain in the neck when it comes to that kind of thing. My cousin died last week and it's kind of got me thinking about planning for my death (it's going to happen some time, so get it sorted). Aside from things like life assurance for relatives, I've also thought about this kind of situation and a 'living will'. It is ESSENTIAL to take legal advice in these matters so that if your friends/family have to end your life it can be proven in court it was what you wanted. Otherwise they could end up on trial for murder.
  • Options
    I may well be incorrect. However it is my understanding a "living will" stipulates the medical care you wish to receive, given any condition, where by you are unable to explicitly detail your wishes, ie if you were in a vegetative state, you could have documented your choice to die with dignity, rather than it being extended by any medical means available.

However, under UK law, any person who willingly assists another to commit suicide can be found guilty of an offence, regardless of the existance of a living will. The following was copied from
    http://www.ves.org.uk/DpLaw_Intro.html

Voluntary euthanasia and physician assisted suicide are against the law in the UK. Currently, people helping another person to die could face up to life (for murder), or 14 years (assisting a suicide) in prison.

hope this is of use
    derby