Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Another weird quirck of mine: Classical Music!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's weird. Most people I know listen to some form of metal/punk rock/whatever ya call it music and while I do listen to them and obtain some pleasure, I only obtain a true emotional response when listening to classical music. The music 'moves' me. That might be a cliche but it is the only way to describe it. I don't particulary enjoy like the complex side of it and orchestras, i just like to listen to the finished piece. I think that it is a much more blatant expression of emotion than a song. By the pace of the music, the pitch, the instruments being used, you can tell the mood, the context it makes. But with new music its basically all the same (as in I mean the same instruments and heavy rock chords or whatever...) and the main difference is the lyrics. Which I can't be bothered to listen to...

Anyone else have a severe music malady like me? Or do you prefer listening to other music? If so why?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i`d get ya coat mate while you still can.
    I really like the original, and the redone Alton Towers music, In The Hall Of The Mountain Kings, by Edvard Greig.

I also like some other classical music, so long as it's not really slow.
    Jazz too.
    I really like the original, and the redone Alton Towers music, In The Hall Of The Mountain Kings, by Edvard Greig.

I also like some other classical music, so long as it's not really slow.
    Jazz too.

:p
    classical music can make me happy, sad or anything. im not a great music lover so maybe thats why i connect with classical music. i would love to be around in the 30s with all the classical ball room dancing.

i get intimidated at parties though...
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    classical music can make me happy, sad or anything. im not a great music lover so maybe thats why i connect with classical music. i would love to be around in the 30s with all the classical ball room dancing.

i get intimidated at parties though...

How many parties have you been too where they've played classical ballroom?!
    Adagio for strings, Samuel Barber is one of the most tear jerking peices of music Ive ever heard, it makes my stomach knot.
    I do like classical music, amongst other types of music, Im a secret Classic FM fan but shhhhhhhh! dont tell anyone ;):p
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

So learn how to ballroom dance?

Classical music has it's place in taste; it doesn't work for everyone. It can be far more emotional on a certain level, but equally, lyrics of other genres of music can be emotionally touching.
    Originally posted by LacyMay

How many parties have you been too where they've played classical ballroom?!

i meant party parties. where they played classical ballroom none. but you know with loud music, people shouting screaming, running, drunk. lol i just sit down with a cup of coke and watch.
    why'd my reply come up twice?:confused::confused::confused:

You might like Chigaco ShyBoy, it's not classical but go to http://www.chigacosoundtrack.com and listen to some of the tracks
    A lot of classical music is amazing. I also love some of the italian operas. I do like a lot of other types of music though too
    Classical music has sort of lost it's appeal because it's largely pretentious, pompous, over-cooked compositions with no great relevance to modern society.

Having said that, prog rock is similar and people still like that.

Another reason is that people don't have the patience today - 21st century, we need three minute gratification, otherwise we get bored and wander off.

I think it's great that you enjoy classical music, but you're a little bit on the weird side of strange, so you probably shouldn't advertise that fact too much in the oh-so-tolerant playgrounds of English educational institutions.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    Classical music has sort of lost it's appeal because it's largely pretentious, pompous, over-cooked compositions with no great relevance to modern society.

no no, the reason that people are still listening to compositions written hundreds of years ago is that it is timeless. all great art is timeless. see if people will still be listening to the kerrang tv playlist in 300 years. even 3 years would be a challenge.

as for pretentious, it depends on your definition. if you define pretentious as something that works on an intelectual level as well as an aesthetic one then yes its pretentious. but why is that bad??? the reason that people are unable to talk intellectually about most other forms of music is that there is nothing to talk about. if you scratch the surface, theres nothing else there. the thing is that the people who talk about it talk completely inaccessible bollocks... ok what they say may be true, (although alot of the time its not... its hillarious listening to people trying to sound clever talking about classical music), but it doesnt make sense to most people therefore they resent it. which is fair enough. but that doesnt change the music at all. its just the bullshit surrounding it.
    Originally posted by cheekychick
    Adagio for strings, Samuel Barber is one of the most tear jerking peices of music Ive ever heard, it makes my stomach knot.
    I do like classical music, amongst other types of music, Im a secret Classic FM fan but shhhhhhhh! dont tell anyone ;):p

Adagio for Strings is absolutely sublime, I remember watching the Nam film 'Platoon' where it was the soundtrack. Deep emotional music. William Orbits remix is quality as well but you cant beat the masterpiece for listening pleasure. I am also a great fan of Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata.
    To tell the truth, im a punk/rock/metal kinda girl.i have been for about 6 years, and im only 16, so before it became all the rage.my dad go me into it to start off with and it deeloped from there.
    BUT!!!
    this does not mean i can be categorized into a certain kind of music.oh no.for example, i play in a brass band, and i love it, the same as i love my music i listen to as well.
    just to prove that people can be diverse.and i think that thats diversity for you!!!:)
    Elgar, Chanson de matin - bliss :) My mum plays it on the piano, and has done since i was ickle, and it's the one piece of music that can make me really happy if i'm in a good mood, and cry if i'm feeling down. It's normally performed as an orchestral piece, but i like it on the piano - it's simpler. Plus we have a really nice piano :D And yes, my family listens to Classic FM when we're at home, that's what all the radios here and in the car are tuned to. I think part of it is because my mum did a music degree and is quite... well, musical :p And she likes it, so i've been bought up round it. Um. Yeah. So classical music = good :)

Oh yeah, hall of the mountain king is cool. But not as good as this other quite well known piece that i have on CD somewhere but can't find anywhere. It's on fantsia, right at the end... where the like, skeletons come out and start dancing and stuff. *hits head on keyboard* I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT'S IT'S CALLED!!! GARGH!