Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Generation 911

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This might not be of interest to anyone here. I try to post things that I feel are of interest to people in the UK . But I was talking to my friends at school, and I realize how similar our views of the world are as compared to our very liberal Parents who came of age in the early 80's.

We all became world-aware around 2000. We all viewed the globe as friends or enemies. Like entire countries of millions of people were friends. Then we got on the Web and just experienced so much hatred towards America. On top of it there was little balance with hatred for things going on in other countries. Then 911 happened. For me, my dad was in NYC and his friend was supposed to be at the WTC at a meeting. His pregnant wife was at our house crying because no phone calls could come out of the city. And the news was making it worst by saying their were sharp shooters on the roof of Penn Station and Grand Central Station, the main train station. And how they were worried bridges were bombed. We didn't hear from my dad or my father's friend's husband untill very late in the day. And then the news kept showing the building coming down over and over again for months, interspersed with Palestinians cheering, who we give millions too...and not to blow themselves up like Saddam does.
In subsequent months it came out that the terrorists had lived in the US and used our immigration laws against us. And they could see that in America anyone could do whatever they wanted to do. They took piolet lessons. They played us. To counter the growing anger, over and over again we've been told about the value of diversity and how the terrorists were Muslim extremists. For me it helped to have a Muslim friend from Pakistan. But I'm angy.

So what's the point of this? We're the Generation 911. We don't trust the world. We view it as a place where people hate us, are jealous us and are plotting to destroy us. That's why Tony Blair's and the Queen's absolute loyalty is one of the few we trust. We all feel we need to go out and get people first. There's a small peace movement in the US that doesn't feel this way. And up until Bush's speech, most Amreicans were against a war. But that was a pole of adults. Generation 911 will be voting in a few years in a very powerful country. The Middle East is going to have to live with what THEY created.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Generation 911
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    This might not be of interest to anyone here. I try to post things that I feel are of interest to people in the UK . But I was talking to my friends at school, and I realize how similar our views of the world are as compared to our very liberal Parents who came of age in the early 80's.

We all became world-aware around 2000. We all viewed the globe as friends or enemies. Like entire countries of millions of people were friends. Then we got on the Web and just experienced so much hatred towards America. On top of it there was little balance with hatred for things going on in other countries. Then 911 happened. For me, my dad was in NYC and his friend was supposed to be at the WTC at a meeting. His pregnant wife was at our house crying because no phone calls could come out of the city. And the news was making it worst by saying their were sharp shooters on the roof of Penn Station and Grand Central Station, the main train station. And how they were worried bridges were bombed. We didn't hear from my dad or my father's friend's husband untill very late in the day. And then the news kept showing the building coming down over and over again for months, interspersed with Palestinians cheering, who we give millions too...and not to blow themselves up like Saddam does.
    In subsequent months it came out that the terrorists had lived in the US and used our immigration laws against us. And they could see that in America anyone could do whatever they wanted to do. They took piolet lessons. They played us. To counter the growing anger, over and over again we've been told about the value of diversity and how the terrorists were Muslim extremists. For me it helped to have a Muslim friend from Pakistan. But I'm angy.

So what's the point of this? We're the Generation 911. We don't trust the world. We view it as a place where people hate us, are jealous us and are plotting to destroy us. That's why Tony Blair's and the Queen's absolute loyalty is one of the few we trust. We all feel we need to go out and get people first. There's a small peace movement in the US that doesn't feel this way. And up until Bush's speech, most Amreicans were against a war. But that was a pole of adults. Generation 911 will be voting in a few years in a very powerful country. The Middle East is going to have to live with what THEY created.

Came of age in the 80's!!!!!...my parents came of age in the 60's!! ha ha ha ...and my dad was walking around with a rucksack full of all the things he thought he might need in the event of a world war.

The Idea that other generations didn't fear for their lives in an unstable world just shows how young you are and how little you seem to know about the history of the world.

When I saw the subject I truely thought you were talking about the band 911!! :D

You really should get out more..your views on the Queen are typical of someone who knows nothing about Britain apart from what you see on the History channel.

Find out about the Jarrow marchers, the Miners strike, the cold war, the Suez crisis, The bombing of Hiroshima, the vietnam war, The Troubles in Ireland, the first world war, the Boer war, Imperialism,...

Yes... when 11/09 happened I was shitting myself..I watched the footage live and saw the second plane hit! BUT ...it's rediculous to say that these feelings are new, or being experienced for the first time by THIS generation! Or that it makes THIS generation different in some way!

And what a terrible attitude...lets go out and get them before they get us! How come its ok for the US to think like this?
  • Options
    People do not hate us because they are jealous of us pnj, thats one long running piece of right wing propganda and self-denial that hopefully youll come to learn should you ever bother to spend significant time abroad.

The rising hatred stems from our hypocritical and miltant foreign policies which have wreaked havoc in the developing world as well as some more industrialised regions.

Perhaps this might open your eyes some (its long but if you care to balance your views then read on...)

http://www.cato.org/pubs/fpbriefs/fpb50.pdf
  • Options
    I don't think it's o.k. or not o.k. But it is the way the teens around my age are thinking. Maybe by the time we vote in a few years, we won't still have this view of the world. But when there's reports from London that people were going to poison the British army, it validates our fears.
  • Options
    I don't think it's o.k. or not o.k. But it is the way the teens around my age are thinking. Maybe by the time we vote in a few years, we won't still have this view of the world. But when there's reports from London that people were going to poison the British army, it validates our fears.

And so ...here is a perfect reason for keeping the Voting age at 18!! (what is the age of suffrage in the USA?)

And how old are you!!

With a bit of luck young enough to get some experience of the REAL world!
  • Options
    I think the real issue is that you finnaly discovered that the US can be attacked too. Welcome to our world, we lived with that between 1939 and 1945 and then for 30+ years from 1969, which is why some of us struggle to understand the 911 hysteria over there at the time or since.
  • Options
    You should refrain from voting then pnj, until you are able to tell the difference between what may be factual content of any report and how much of the rest is spin and sensationalism intended specifically to cloud the issues and rally those like yourself to act before thinking things through.
  • Options
    16. I think America is turning away from the world. People don't even want to travel outside the US.

Sometimes I think America is going to become this self-isolated country, with satellites watching the globe, and a missle defense system in place over it's allies. (I'm sure you know Britian approved one site.)

Clandestine. Thank's for the link. This post wasn't about creating an image. I just wanted to post what the world was creating within America: a generation that doesn't trust the world...except Britian and a few other countries.
  • Options
    If people keep following Bush's mad and hypocritical vision of the "New World Order" (aka American Economic Imperialism) then yes, we will find ourselves isolated. Something I dont wish to see for my country, and all the more reason why I rail against current trends.

But sooner or later people will feel the shame of such irresponsible sheepism and come to their senses and then youll see the right sidelined again as they should be.
  • Options
    MOK I think you are right about that. Also, my parent's generation didn't live through Pearl Harbor or WW2.

It's correct to call it hysteria...unless there's another attack and then it becomes reasonable.

But also remember, the point of my really long post was to convey how we're feeling...not to say it's right. I just wonder how it's going to play out when we're adults. We vote in two years.
  • Options
    Pnj, once youve finished reading that doument, if you still wish to understand the causes of hatred (especially by fundamentalist extremists) toward us, then have a read of this...

http://www.bidstrup.com/hate.htm
  • Options
    pissinthepot you need to get real. you see america as some great world saviour. you see democracy as the solution to all ills.
    imagine democracy in the middle east. america will do all in it's power to make sure democracy never arrives there. why? well imagine being able to vote for whoever you like... communists, extreme islamic parties. no way will america let people vote in the middle east. time to fucking wake up. you believe that israel bombing irans proposed nuclear reactor as helping the iranian people!? are they not alowed to enter the modern world then?
    your ideas are almost insane for gods sake.
    ever heard of norman mailer? read his stuff about why the people of southern asia would have been better off under a communist regieme... but you wouldn't let them.
    i have lived through the fear of the cuban missile crisis, the ronald reagan and maggie thatcher cruise missile stuff to bring communism to an end...very frightening time. the ira bombing our cities. my parents lived and fought the second world war and so on. your bleeding little heart is not the only one to have lived through fear and uncertainty. most british people do not support your mad government. some of us would like bush and blair to be treated as war criminals once this is over.
    your great stormin norman is against this coming war. for fucks sake wake up.
  • Options
    Thanks. Although, I do view them as hating everyone who is not exactly like them...Muslims too.
  • Options
    I do view them as hating everyone who is not exactly like them... .
    are we talking about right wing christian americans here and people like you and your father?
  • Options
    my dad's a liberal. democrat. I was speaking about radical Muslim extremists who are murdering people worldwide.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

your ideas are almost insane for gods sake.

Just what I wanted to say...

In America there are plenty of isolated groups, hiding in the mountains, stock piling guns and food...waiting for the world to end...

Do you really want the whole of the USA to be like that!! It is wrong for America to Isolate themselves and I do believe that even if you just travelled around your own vast country a bit and spoke to some people you'd realise that you are a minority!!

You sound like you're about to blow the heads of your fellow students the way you're carryingon!!
  • Options
    Nah, Like I said my friend's a Muslim. But he believes in democracy. Al Qaeda is so extreme in their views that even when they see the freedom in America, their twisted view of the world is that every one is wrong for allowing the freedom.

Bush talked about America's resolve. We are. No one is going to threaten us. And after 911 we know we can't wait until they make their move.

And the feeling is that there's a lot of Europeans who don't especially care if Americans are killed. They're o.k. with waiting to see if we can find evidence on Saddam. We're not in the waiting mood.
  • Options

Sometimes I think America is going to become this self-isolated country, with satellites watching the globe, and a missle defense system in place over it's allies.
    I just wanted to post what the world was creating within America: a generation that doesn't trust the world...except Britian and a few other countries.
    OK

Read Brave new world, Read Handmaids tale, read Lord of the flies, read 1984...people have been aware of this kind of thing for years

You shouldn't let it happen!! Don't become a part of that way of thinking, look outside of the guff you are being fed..don't believe everything you read or see on TV, get some different opinions...

AND HOW COME YOU TRUST BRITAIN and 'a few other countries' so much, what makes you trust them? Who told you to trust them?
    What 'few other countries' are these?
  • Options
    my dad's a liberal. democrat. I was speaking about radical Muslim extremists who are murdering people worldwide.
    you realy dont believe that america has been murdering people world wide then? oh yeah, they were killing for all the right reasons with god on thier side...right.
    why the fuck do you think people are fighting back against you?
    you believe they are jealous of you! you are on the verge of needing locking up for for your own safety.
  • Options
    Nah, Like I said my friend's a Muslim. But he believes in democracy. Al Qaeda is so extreme in their views that even when they see the freedom in America, their twisted view of the world is that every one is wrong for allowing the freedom.

Bush talked about America's resolve. We are. No one is going to threaten us. And after 911 we know we can't wait until they make their move.

And the feeling is that there's a lot of Europeans who don't especially care if Americans are killed. They're o.k. with waiting to see if we can find evidence on Saddam. We're not in the waiting mood.

Right - so you trust Britain and a few other countries but not most Europeans who want America to wait????

I think the reality is that most people feel that while some people in the middle east may be a threat to international security there should be a proper investigation into those individuals instead of storming into the country...perhaps Europeans are more level headed...but perhaps you are part of a minority in your country and you should speak to a few different peole!
  • Options
    Nah, Like I said my friend's muslim .
    funny when you accuse people of being racist they always come back with the fact they have a black friend. homophobes always know a puff.
    why don't i believe you anymore pissinthepot?
  • Options
    I know pleanty of Jewsih and Islamic people too and not all would agree with you pnj. Having said that, its a rather ridiculous argument to cite " a jewish or islamic friend" as if they themselves are not subject to the same media hype and propagandising as the rest of us. Some can see through the rhetoric to the real abuse of power and economic interests at stake here, other might not.

Look at the history of our own complicity in dirty geo-politics and gain your own balance. No friend of whatever ethnic or religious persuasion can do that for you.
  • Options
    I think they're afraid that if they wait, a terrorist will get through with something Saddam supplied....like what almost happened in London recently. Beyond lives, look at what 911 did to the world's economy? How many people lost their jobs in Britian alone who worked for British Airways?

We studied Tony Blair's speeches in school as compared to the idiot Prime Minister of Canada. Tony Blair and the Queen had a consistent message, they changed the English terms to American English terms when talking to the American media, "shoulder to shoulder" in England, "side-by-side" in America. The message has been simple followed by an action. We're with you. This wasn't your fault. We're sending troops and sharing information to help. That's why. The other countries like France and Germany are taking chances with our lives and for economic gain.

Remember, this post was not to say what's right. It was so anyone interested could get a clear view of the way Generation 911 feels. I showed my friends what I wrote on here and they said I got it right. But I forgot to mention the dreams. We're having dreams of the buildings falling down. And we wake up mad. The frequency of the dreams might be subsiding a bit.
  • Options
    Show me the conclusive proof, once again, that Saddam has links to Al Qaeda. Sorry pnj, you can repeat the allegations and assumptions like Bush does till the cows come home, it doesnt make it fact.

What is fact though is that you are apparently completely brainwashed by our President's clouding and blending of the issues. A real pity.

Youd also better go back and read up on the economy my friend, we were in trouble long before 9/11. Any credible economist that has been interviewed to date has said as much.
  • Options
    Has the queen got a say in the political decisions in the world...NO

there is no 911 generation...just you!
  • Options
    BYNY. There is in my school and I'm sure others feel the same way. Go on www.bolt.com and read the posts. Read Bush's speech it was dead on and the support for the war went from 46% to 67% in one day after his speech.

Clandestine, last year the US economy grew at one of the fastest paces on earth. Germany is the one in trouble.
  • Options
    First its France then Germany....do you know anything about these countries?

Will enjoy reading the posts of a few crazy 16 year olds..will get back to you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Pnj, once youve finished reading that doument, if you still wish to understand the causes of hatred (especially by fundamentalist extremists) toward us, then have a read of this...

http://www.bidstrup.com/hate.htm

After pointing out that terrorism is nothing new, the author completely ignores any of the data that has been collected on how terrorist organizations work and motivate. Hate is a tool, not the reason. The reason is power. Always has been.
  • Options
    saddam has never been linked to terrorism or even hating america. he would love to be on the world stage and selling oil but... america are setting the scene for a new nation of international terrorists in the shape of young iraqi men who will lose homes and families and who will be to blame for them hating the west? they haven't hated us so far.
    more and more of the world realy are begining to hate you and all you stand for. this is the death of the last super power.
    in 5yrs time or less america will be totaly isolated and in utter internal turmoil. europe will be the new masters... america is going to fall into utter chaos and economic mayhem. you'll only have bush and his cronies to blame and of course all the dumies who blindly follow the bullshit your currently being fed. goodbye america. shortest lived world power that ever was.
  • Options
    Nope. :p

By the summer Iraq will be liberated. Allied troops, including those from France and Germany-what a surpise, will be in Iraq helping to set up a new democracy. The news will be flooded with pictures of the discovery of massive graves and stock piles of Iraqi weapons.

The US economy is still doing better the Europe's. Sorry to disappoint. The EU is inefficient enacting silly laws like the height of swings on playgrounds, animal testing, (not a bad law but consumer choice would take care of that.)

France will be out 1 1/2 billion in sales to Iraq. Russia will be out also. The people of Iraq who had to live under Saddam, will love America and hate the Europeans who didn't liberate them.
  • Options
    Ah yes, Western "Imposed" Democracy, A contradiction in terms ever there was one and something which will be a recipe for instability and disaster for the region.

Keep on believing Bush's fairy Tales pnj. Time will open your eyes to reality.