Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Computers and speed...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I have a question for the computer buffs here (I would've put this in Net forum, but that never gets any traffic...)

Ok, in my flat we have 4 computers that are hooked up to broadband internet, with one computer acting as the server with a hub, (my flatmate is the one with the hub, and he's a computer buff). Anyway, thing is this: occasionally the speed is fantastic, actually works like a broadband internet connection, other times it is so slow it is not even funny. Now, these changes in speed seem to be connected to when my server flatmate is on his computer (i.e. it is fast) but when he is out and his computer is on it slows right down. He said the ASDN lines were having problems all over the country, but I wouldn't know, he could tell me there are problems with the egg-timer server and I would believe him. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well

A few things could be

If it's just ISDN, then that ain't all that fast really. Unless you use both channels which is unlikely you'll only just get better than modem speeds. SHared between a few computers it wouldn't be amazing.

If it's cable or ADSL, it should be fast enough to support 3 computers, but if you're all downloading streamed video / audio at once it coud be slow, or your sites that you are visiting could be slow.

There has been a thing on the internet for the past few days that has been slowing places down.

There are some settings that you can alter if it's broadband to get slightly better performance, but it probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Also at peak time you share your broadband speed with all the users in your area.
    ooh ooh need a quick answer so ill post it here before it gets moved

anyone know a decent thingymabob for viewing movies before theyre fully downloaded? you know, to make sure its not a fake?
    If it's an .mpg movie you can just stop the download and so long as you keep the file then you can play it anyway. You don't have to get the whole thing. I think you can probably play them as they are downloading too.
    Originally posted by duffy_2k

anyone know a decent thingymabob for viewing movies before theyre fully downloaded? you know, to make sure its not a fake?

If it's an .avi, you can download a program called DivFix, which adds an 'end' to the file, allowing you to view it.

Though if you're going to do that, make a copy of the film and fix that, or else you wont be able to download the rest of the downloading one!
    well im a retard and cant do any of this stuff without screwing something up, its just i know theres a program on the web that you can just view it with, i cant find it, i searched cnet but couldnt find it...
    well im a retard and cant do any of this stuff without screwing something up, its just i know theres a program on the web that you can just view it with, i cant find it, i searched cnet but couldnt find it...

Yeah, but that fucks up the file and doesn't allow you to download the rest of it.

Plus the DivFix program is tiny in size, its much easier - and it's also on CNet :p
    windows media player!!

lol. simple, but it works. when you click on it, the movie window will open up, and on the play bar, a grey bar will move across saying how much of it has downloaded, and you can play all the rest.
    i forgot to point out, im downloading it with kazaa, which is quite shit. lol

What's the file type, though?

in that case cant you just use the media player built into kazaa? it works for me if you want to play it before its finished. you just cant open it in another application without far too much effort for it to be worth it.
    Originally posted by octopus of doom

in that case cant you just use the media player built into kazaa?

You can't play .avi's in KaZaA's media player, though,
    Originally posted by Kiezo

You can't play .avi's in KaZaA's media player, though,

isnt it just divX avis you cant play. you can play normal ones i thought

i might just be very wrong though
    Re: Computers and speed...
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Now, these changes in speed seem to be connected to when my server flatmate is on his computer (i.e. it is fast) but when he is out and his computer is on it slows right down.

Maybe he runs seti@home, or perhaps he ony turns on his KaZaA when he's not surfing...