Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My computer went on fire!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Power supply unit in my case recently went on fire (still haven't got a clue how). Anyway, I got a new case (damn sexy - perspex panel n neon stuff), but the PC still doesn't work. I've managed to track the problem down to the graphics card (a rather old geforce2), so I'm gonna need a new one.

Right, the point of this post is to ask advice on graphics cards. I need something that can run UnrealTournament2003. That's about the most strenous thing I have methinks. My geforce 2 ran it, on low resolutions. So, can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap and cheerful graphics card, that'll last me til at least Christmas, and will run UT2k3?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Geforce 3 Ti200 or Ti500

Any Geforce 4.
    Yeah, i agree mate, get GeForce3 Ti200 or Ti500 i got the Hercules 3D Prophet Ti200 64mb and it does everything i want. Check it out at ebuyer.com its quite reasonable..
    make sure u get agp and not pci
    Yowser! Never known anybody whose PSU caught fire before!
    Well, if you're absolutely sure it's your graphics card, then your cheapes option at the moment would be another GeForce 2.
    Spending a bit more, a GeForce 4, Hurcules 3D Prophet, or ATI Radeon 9000 or 9700 if you really have the cash to splash about.

I did have the demo of UT2K3 running on my old computer before the mobo & CPU fried, with my GeForce 2. But can't get it running with my new mobo & CPU. :( Pity, because even the GeForce 2 made it look like a spectacular bit of eye candy. :)

Ooo, nice to have a sexy case though! Especially with neon or cold cathode lighting inside! :) I fitted a second light in to mine, to light up the other side of the case. Now I want to add a couple more to really light it up! But I really should pull the computer and case appart when I do that, and get everything fitted in properly, rather than just taped in with double sided sticky pads.
    How about a pic of this super sexy case? :)

Mr_Wobble ; )
    Is that the silver case with the perspec pannel and red flashy LEDs?? Well cool ain't they..

I'mma get one of these. Their look well cool in that case.

http://jab-tech.com/case_fans.html
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Yowser! Never known anybody whose PSU caught fire before!
    Well, if you're absolutely sure it's your graphics card, then your cheapes option at the moment would be another GeForce 2.
    Spending a bit more, a GeForce 4, Hurcules 3D Prophet, or ATI Radeon 9000 or 9700 if you really have the cash to splash about.

Nopes, I've never heard of a PSU catching fire before either - it was really quite cool, cause the fan kept going, so the flames were literally shooting out of the back.

I presume it's my gfx - the computer won't boot up normally, I' m a little confused because it will boot in safe mode. When I try to boot it normally it goes to the windows loading screen, and then the screen flashes blue a couple of times, and then goes black, with a little coloured line in the top left hand corner. It can't be my ram, because I had the same problem with different ram, and I've tried all the different slots. The other thing is that I tried my computer set up normally, but with my dad's geforce4 instead, and it started up fine.

Anyway, my computer, here's not too good a picture of the case I have -
    CASEATXMIDIA151.jpg

The fan has red blue and green lights, and the perspex panels are tinted blue.
    lol, a bit off the subject, but don't you just love the flak cannon in UT2k3??:D
    Originally posted by sniper666
    lol, a bit off the subject, but don't you just love the flak cannon in UT2k3??:D

lol, the flak cannon is the best. Actually, depends on the map.... UT2k3 is like one of the easiest fps games to play, there's no reloading stuff, or difficult territory really.
    Oooo sexy case! I love the extra multicolourd LED illuminated fan mounted in the centre of the X on the windowed side!
    I want to add a window to my case, but bought it a couple of months too early as you can now buy them with windows built in for as little as £40 now. :(
    Oh well, I will eventually have put a window in, and a bit more lighting! :)
    I've spent my money on extras such as quiet cooling fans, and power supply. Surprisingly, it's not that much more quiet, which is mainly down to the power supply which must have thermostaticly controlled fans that speed up as the interior gets hotter (it's very quiet when booting from cold though). The Zalman flower cooler for the CPU looks well cool though. Now I've got to get a window to show that off - oh, and the luminous hard and floppy disk cables! :D

Hmmm, sounds like it's the graphics card then. That fire must've done some damage. :(

Oh, and the flak cannon in UT was my fave too. Much better than the shotgun in Q3. Can't wait to play UT2K3 properly though! :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
    i also love using the zoom instagib mutator on tokara forest with a stupid amount of bots. It's FUN!