Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

France Nice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is France a nice place to go?
Beside the obvious Eiffel Tower, is there nuch nore to do in Paris, and are the locals nice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is France Nice

...no but Nice is in France :p

Oh please ask some more inspiring questions or I may be forced to blow up this board

Susie :eek:
    umm.....sorry. Just, I'm going to France soon for a few days and I don't know what else to do there.

Ok, i'll try another question, see if it is better, I was thinking of going on a Gap Year, what are the positive and negative factors of doing this, and where would you suggest going?
    Although I think The Site has information on this somewhere else
    I have just done half of my year abroad in France. I was in Tours, north west France, bout an hour away from Paris on high speed train. Can offer this advice:

The French LOVE themselves (as if you didn't already know). They think they are the best at everything. Once you get used to them bragging about everything and challenging you on all sorts of issues you'll be fine.

Also, they don't like the English much. Pretend you're Scottish (if you're not), they like the Scots loads.

But apart from all that.......

I loved France, and I loved the French, simply because they are so patriotic and so proud of their country. Kind of makes you sad that it's not like that here in the UK.

From what I have seen I would say that the "smaller" big towns (e.g. Tours, Poitiers) are nicer than the huge towns (like Nantes) because they seem to have made more of an effort to look nice, rather than just focus on making money. Although, having said that, Lyon is one of my favourite French towns, and that's HUGE!!

If you can speak a bit of French, and you can appreciate their way of thinking (even if you don't agree with them all the time) you'll love it there!
    There's loads of stuff to do in Paris. The whole damn city's full of stuff to do. I'm here for 4 months and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it all. There's the shops, the usual museums like the Louvre (take a day to visit it, it's impossibly huge), the Musee d'Orsay, the Champs Elysees, the Eiffel Tower yadda yadda... There's also some more obscure museums like the puppet museum, the catacombe museum and the sewers museum although I haven't got around to visiting them so can vouch for how good they'll be.
    The area around the Bastille is meant to be good for a night out, as is Rue Oberkampf and Menilmontant - they're full of bars etc. The Latin Quarter (5th Arrondisement) is also quite good although, obviously, it is full of students.

The RER/metro is a little pricey but safe, regular and goes everywhere. Plus there's buses.

One word of warning, as it's a capital city and a tourist destination, it is incredibly expensive for food; drink etc. etc. However, if you search or go down the side streets, you can usually find somewhere a little cheaper.

I second Koolcat's opinion of the French. Parisian can be a little short, but they'll usually help you/be a bit more friendly if you try speaking to them in French.

Nice is also nice (no pun intended) although I didn't find much to do there and the beach is made up of grit. That said, I didnt' really make much of an effort to explore it. It is, however, really close to the Alps, Italy, Switzerland... so it's a good place to stay in.

The south-east (Languedoc-Rousillon) is also really nice. It doesn't have many big towns but it's close to Spain and there's loads of really pretty little villages to visit.
    france sucks monkeys!!!
    i loved paris
    i thought it was absolutely gorgeous probably the best memory i have of last summer
    but to be honest the food wasnt much especially in restaurants it was either steak or chips nothing exciting really
    everyone their speaks really good english as well
    u gotta travel on the metro through paris its absolutely spectactuar the scenery
    oh i wanna go back there now!!!:D
    When are you thinking of going to France then?
    Wee, U see, I started this thread about a month ago.
    No one but Susie replied, then I did.
    In between the time I posted again and KoolCat did, I have been to France!! I went, had a lovely time, then came home. I kinda considered the post dead, I haven't looked at it since, then I find it gets all the replies about what to do, where to go, After i HAVE BEEN!!
    But thanx:)
    erm.

Loved Paris, hated the people.

Prostitutes, randy 14 y/os asking to "Fuck me" and getting the eye off every Frenchie..and ohhh..Willy, the 42 y/o black guy with a beret. Telling my Mum I'm beautiful, and how he wants to take me to dinner and marry me to have some childrend.:nervous:

maybe it won't be so bad for me..?:confused: