Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Swimming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Will Swimming make you lose weight evenly? If I started swimmind daily for about 10 minutes, and built the time up daily, will I lose weight? And how long would it take?
Also, I know that doin laps and stuff would make it happen faster, but if you just kinda swam around would it work?
Klever

Comments

• Options
    hi!

swimming is the only excercise that uses all your muscles-this means that yes you will loose weight evenly and if you just swam around you arent getting your heart pumping so you wont loose a noticable amount of weight.you can expect to notice a difference a few weeks after regualar swimming and if you keep it up then it really does work!

xxxxx;)
  • Options
    thankyou Char_Baby
  • Options
    Swimming for about ten minutes won't do much, at all. For a start, you won't get warmed up. For a second, no exercise will have noticeable effects if it's only 10 mins.

Swimming is beneficial because of the environment you do it in. The water supports your weight, making it less likely that you strain things, and also, it cools you. You don't notice that so much.

However, just like any other exercise, you have to do it consistently, and increasingly to gain benefit. The guy to ask, if he's still around, is Alessandro, who was a swimmer. Swimming must leave you out of breath. Just paddling around will do very little. You have to raise your heart rate, then keep it there. That's how you build up.

I'm an ASA qualified swim teacher, so hopefully, I can answer other questions if you've got 'em.

DJP
  • Options
    Thanx
    The 10 min thing was if i did it on the very first day, then the next day a little longer, the next longer still until I reach a decent time.
    2 Q's then, how long should i then build it up to? as in what wou;d be a god time for doing it, or is it untill you buid up your heart rate, and secondly, if the water is cold is it still ok to do it? I mean, it isn't dangerous to do lengths and stuff in cold water is it? At the moment, the pool I have access to is 9 degrees centigrade (about 30F I think) cos the heating is broke, if I could manage to get in the water and not whimp out on getting in, would it being so cold affect me?
  • Options
    the pool i work at and swim in is about 28 degrees C. dunno what that is in F. u do the maths.
    thats the average temp of a pool which is still quite chilly like, but its good if the water is cool cos it keeps u cool and u dont get all sweaty. i swim often but to be honest i dont swim to burn fat i just do it for toning. i walk and run for fat burning, altho u can burn fat by swimming.
    i have really toned up by swimming, until recently i was doing it 3 or 4 times a week, and swimming a mile, which is 64 lengths of a 25 metre pool. i do that in about 40-45 mins. which is not really that fast like. altho it does get my heart rate going at about 130,whereas running im about 150-160 beats per min.if you want to really burn fat u should try and just gradually build up and try and get up to half a mile, then 3 quarters of a mile, then a mile. also practice technique using a kickboard and a pullbouy. its also good if you can swim front crawl with your head in the water.
    i have never heard of a pool being 9degrees C. thats kinda weird like, it must be pretty cold but technically they couldnt open the pool if was gonna do any damage to swimmers at that temp so im sure its ok.
  • Options
    Hey,

I was a competitive swimmer for many years and still get in and splash around every now and then.

If you want to lose weight, this is one of the very best exercises to do it. I personally watched someone lose 50 pounds in a little over three months.

If you want to build up your cardiovascular fitness, this is also one of the best ways to do it.

Like anything else, the best way to start out with this is to go slowly. Swiminning is kind of unique in that, as Char_baby said, the buoyancy of the water helps support your joints. Its harder to get joint injuries swimming because of this.

What you want to do is to go for long, slow swims at first. basically, don't swim at a pace that makes your heart pound and force yourself to keep it up until you can't any longer. Rather, find a pace that you would be comfortable with doing for fifteen minutes straight or so. And, because you aren't used to it yet, don't get down on yourself if you can't do it for longer than five or ten minutes. If you do it regularly, I would suggest three or four times a week, you will get better and can go farther.

If you have any questions I would be gald to answer them. Just post them here.
  • Options
    Thanks all, very helpful
    The thing with the temperature, it is a private pool with no heating (broken) so I don't know if it is safe to go into!
  • Options
    Swimming 25 minutes fast front crawl (freestyle) will burn 300 calories. You burn 1,300 calories a day just by being alive, breathing, etc. To lose weight you must eat less calories than you burn up.
  • Options
    Everyone's pretty much given you the picture. Even if you can't swim..you'll lose weigth even faster!!!

And just to show...i've stopped swimming for about a month or two now...and i've definitely become a bit more flabby!!! lol ...but it'll stay like that since i do waterpolo anyway.
  • Options
    The only problem is the water is bloody FREEZING
    I got in a froze half to death, when I got out the air temp was so warm it was burning my legs (the air temp is a bit lower than room temp 18 C maybe)
    Even if i could bar this, is it safe when it is so cold?
  • Options
    i wouldnt like to risk it.
    at the minute our pool is a bit up the left cos we just got maintanence done, and people were complaining the other day that it was too cold, then it was too warm, and yesterday a woman said it was painfully cold. i looked at the thermometer and it read 28 degrees c. even when i was in training it was pretty chilly. so i wouldnt like to imagine what its like at 9c. is there another pool u can use?
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    i wouldnt like to risk it.......
    is there another pool u can use?

Well, yeah. But I wouldn't, it's a public pool, but there's been many a case of some crap floating in it, and someone was injured there (there are slides to a different pool) as a nail was put into the slide, it cut two people legs down the side.
  • Options
    I love swimming!!! i have to go more often!!